State of the 'Temp; Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Disabling imbedded images, either globally or for specific users (if possible) would cut down on a lot of the crap. Can't shit up a thread with random pictures/memes if you can't post them. Sure you can still post the link, but that's far less distruptive than pictures.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't been on much because of my new MMO addiction, but what i've seen when I do is about on point with what you've said in the OP.

I generally only visit the news, GOTC, GGD and blogs, but they're just a nightmare right now. I can't even imagine what something like the 3DS sections look like. Sad really, but a lot of shit posting kids have been allowed to run wild and not much is done about them. I've just been waiting for things to settle really.

Reactions: nxwing and frogboy

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Sad really, but a lot of shit posting kids have been allowed to run wild and not much is done about them.
Thiz is EXACTLY what frustrates me right now.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS Section is fucked because of Gateway.

Gateway needs to die. I know people are going to try to lynch me for saying that, but fuck it. I say it needs to die. The section will be better once that..."thing" disappears.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh and I dunno who the active mods are anymore because I never look but even if you report things, seems like either nothing happens or it takes a very long time for a mod to respond, and even then it isn't really a solution.
Not saying anything against the mods, just an observation. I realize not every reported thing will be considered appropriate to moderate buut there are some glaringly obvious things i've seen ignored, and the problem got worse as a result.

I'm all for letting people do their own thing most of the time, I prefer a more uncensored environment to post in, but there is definitely an abundant amount of absolute trash posts and threads that just keep piling up and smelling worse and worse. Seems to be time to rein in some people, and execute some others. This is a gaming community, not a 3rd grade classroom.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixed it for you.

;)

But, you can't put all the blame on shitposters, like me. Remember, a lot of shitposts are made because of the threads that cause the shitposts. Many shitposts come from threads where people WANT people to make shitposts, and as humans, you know..people are going to start shit with one another. This mainly occurs with things like CFW vs Gateway, or, when someone keeps repeating a question and will let that thread go on and on, about nothing.

A lot of shitposts I noticed are just people being pricks to others; Complaining about how people repeat the same threads over and over again. But, in reality, it's just to get their post count up.

"OH, YOU DIDN'T SEARCH SO I BETTER TALK SHIT ABOUT YOU UNTIL THIS THREAD IS CLOSED I'M SO FUCKING SPECIAL"

Last edited by DKB,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are a lot of good staff members here but most of them also have a busy life. Fortunately, there are still Devs who care enough to post things here and share their work but most of the negative stuff comes from really young people or people that are only here to get free stuff and don't care about the community. Strict rules and perma ban like Neogaf would make this forum cleaner that's for sure.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disabling imbedded images, either globally or for specific users (if possible) would cut down on a lot of the crap. Can't shit up a thread with random pictures/memes if you can't post them. Sure you can still post the link, but that's far less distruptive than pictures.
I don't really think that's a problem. I like myself a good meme every now and again, as long as it's relevant to the situation and only happens in moderation. The problem is the level of maturity of the people shitposting. @Vulpes Abnocto is right, it's probably time that mods had a little bit of a heavier hand when it comes to handing out warnings and/or suspensions

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As one of those people who are actually invested in the 3ds scene, I've taken a different approach.
Everyone who makes a dumbass thread will get all the hate, fueled by one who wishes to genuinely see something useful here. It's really hard dealing with by far the worst section on the temp, especially when it's the biggest reason you're here.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally vouch for it.
You'd be banned in 2 days tho
Sure I will. like I ever get any warning in 2 years.
Gonna have to agree. There were definitely times in my early days of membership that I should have gotten a warning and didn't because the mods were gracious. While I appreciate their forgiveness, it's come to the point where until things get better, they need to be a little bit more assertive, if only for the sake of keeping the forum clean in the long run

As one of those people who are actually invested in the 3ds scene, I've taken a different approach.
Everyone who makes a dumbass thread will get all the hate, fueled by one who wishes to genuinely see something useful here. It's really hard dealing with by far the worst section on the temp, especially when it's the biggest reason you're here.
In my eyes, that's one of the worst things you can do. Flaming doesn't help anything, it literally just fuels the metaphorical fire. If there's an influx of shitty threads being created just report them and move on

Reactions: nxwing and DKB

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna have to agree. There were definitely times in my early days of membership that I should have gotten a warning and didn't because the mods were gracious. While I appreciate their forgiveness, it's come to the point where until things get better, they need to be a little bit more assertive, if only for the sake of keeping the forum clean in the long run

I agree myself. Shitposting is fun and all, but it does ruin some actual useful threads. But, most of the time, the threads were begging to be shit on.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the GBAtemp was doing great; but it all turned downhill when a few group of members tried to gather their attention to their elementary-social /romantic issues and took things too far on certain trends on the forum, such as the Toon-Link trend; it was all fun, not bad behavior-wise, until people came along and when they were banned (justified to be banned) they got mad, their friends who are members here got mad, and they started to spam and make dupe accounts and annoy everyone here. Now the EoF is pretty crappy nowadays, only a few people and a few threads are worth going into. I mainly come here nowadays just to see what people are up to, and I browse around but mainly post in EoF threads if it's worth it to post in; or check up the GoTc. I've been distant from video games lately so I haven't looked at other sections but can agree on the fact that they are over-accessed and those sections are filled with threads people describe (repetitive, easy, trollish, etc).

Anyway, if this forum went back to how it was long time ago; it would be nice. The opinions and suggestions here are something to consider about, and that's up to the staff of GBAtemp to implement them or not.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this blew up a bit more than I had expected it to.

Some people could tell that I made the original post with tongue-in-cheek, but really it did precisely what I had hoped for:
It got a lot of people talking about the problems we're facing and mulling over new options.
This is the GBAtemp I love.

I've seen a lot of posts saying these people are to blame, those people are to blame, blame blame blame.
Hate to tell ya folks, but there's more than enough blame to go around. And you can't sling shit without getting some on yourself.

It's your fault.
And it's my fault.
We'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has been here for a number of months who can be considered completely blameless.

The moderation staff is almost certainly overworked. I too have seen reported offenses that went unanswered for amounts of time that I consider to be unreasonable. And though I can't be certain I'd say they've also been pretty lenient since I see people getting away with things that would have been bannable offenses just a couple years ago.
Even brother p1ng seems to have toned down his banhammer, which is something I honestly never thought I'd see. I suppose that's part of having to be a diplomat, though.
So perhaps the time has come to be considering new blood in those ranks.
When p1ng says there are still excellent people among us, I believe him. And you don't need to go volunteering people for these jobs, because the folks that are here every day taking care of reports see very well who is contributing to the problems, and who is trying to help solve them.

I like some of the ideas that have been presented in this thread and I hope that they'll be debated properly.
If I'm here when those talks arise then I certainly hope to hear the thoughts of everyone involved in the day-to-day operation of this forum.

And as many people have noted, the staff are few and the members are many. They aren't going to be able to do their jobs properly without your assistance.
So if and when you see problems, you need to take a brief moment to report them rather than piling onto the people that created the problem.
It's far easier to clean up one person's mess than to go through and pick out fifteen posts of griping back and forth like you're hunting down lice.

Finally, I'd like to say thank you to a lot of people
To the helpers who already report without stirring the shitpot further
To the innovators that are putting forth ideas for our improvement
To the newcomers that aren't joining in with what looks to be unsupervised trollish "fun"
To the old guard that are GBAtemp's lifeblood
To the underappreciated staff
And to you for reading what I have to say.

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to not be one of the people described on this thread:
  1. If you don't know where to post a thread, post it in the EOF.
  2. If a thread is over a month old, don't reply to it.
  3. Always read through what you write and try to make sure it won't offend anyone.
And most importantly:

USE COMMON SENSE!!!

Last edited by GalladeGuy,

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USE COMMON SENSE!!!

Pretty good advice, but I have a problem with that last line. "Common sense" is something I don't believe in anymore.
I can say that it's only common sense to use ctrl+alt+del to find and close a problematic program and close it, and lots of people here would agree, but does that mean my mom knows to do this? No. Why doesn't she? Because she hasn't delved into PCs and their problems as deeply as I have.
What you consider to be common sense is just what you've run into on a regular basis. But other people have experienced life differently. They might say that it's only common sense that there are 16 cups in a gallon, or that you add lye to water rather than the other way around, or that you never trust the first reading on a dipstick.
Common sense is a cognitive bias.

But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.