Steam adds support for Nintendo's retro Switch Online controllers

https___hypebeast.com_image_2021_09_nitendo-switch-n64-sega-genesis-six-button-controller-japa...jpg

Steam is known for supporting a large collection of controller types on its platform, whether it's the classic Xbox 360 gamepad, or more modern controllers, such as the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. If you're a fan of getting your hands on any of the retro throwback controllers released for Nintendo's Switch Online subscribers, and ever wanted to use them to play classic games on Steam, then you're in luck. A new Steam client update went out today, which added specific support for the Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Nintendo Entertainment System, and Super Nintendo gamepads from the Nintendo Switch Online collection out of the box. In addition, Valve's team also added support for a handful of arcade sticks--the Qanba Obsidian, the Qanba Dragon, and the HORI Fighting Stick Mini 4.

:arrow: Source

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
...And why would people want this?
because with steam's controller rebinding thing, you can make these controllers recongized as a 360 controller, or a ps4 controller, or whatever.

and some games are nice with these controllers.

for example, i tried out celeste with the switch online snes controller, and that was fun.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way I see myself using either one of these controllers is if the game I'm emulating originates from that console those controllers occupy, but definitely not Nintendo's overpriced renditions 😅😆😂
Maybe 8bitdo or retro-Bit's.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Far as I know Steam still doesn't know how to combine joy-cons, this is the thing we really need before NSO support... hell even Apple is doing this now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...