jonesy101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb question...

With all the exploit releases coming out the past couple of days, does staying on the lowest firmware still apply?

I wonder if more permanent (untethered) solutions will come first to older firmwares.

RySe96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes! This will always be the case. If you're on a low enough firmware you might not even have to short the pins. Maybe lower firmware will have an untethered hack sooner than later firmware versions. If your interest is in the hacking scene it's always best to stay on the lowest firmware.

Last edited by RySe96,

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The hype is real.

There's still no difference with a 3.0.0 console though. Except 3.0.0 can launch hbl. This is great for developers as a lot of them don't have a 3.0.0 switch.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I'm still holding onto the fact that 1.0 might be the holly grail and won't upgrade until cfw is released. This really should be applied to any firmware at this point.

Yes it looks like every switch on the market can be hacked but the qustion is how easily and would have it been worth it to wait

Reactions: charlieb and AzizR

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll buy an extra right joycon if I have to, but I'm gonna wait and see what turns up from all this. Linux on my Switch is cool and all, but only if it's easy to do. Once some guides pop up, and things get refined for the end-user, then I'll dive in.

Reactions: konamicode89

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still holding onto the fact that 1.0 might be the holly grail and won't upgrade until cfw is released. This really should be applied to any firmware at this point.

If you could sell the 1.0 switch and can get enough money to buy a new switch, a mariko switch and the fusee gelee dongle and still be left with money spare then I would do it.

Having a launch mariko ready for when an exploit comes out will be good because it's got faster ram and gpu....

I wonder if more permanent (untethered) solutions will come first to older firmwares.

It might even be that certain firmwares get it and others don't.

Last edited by smf,

albion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I will stay in 1.0.0, the strategy seems very simple, can be updated at any time in new versions, otherwise there is no downgrade.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im on 4.1.0 should i update to 5.0.2?
Id stay on 4.1.0 tbh. Thats what im doing.

Edit- Tbh I wish I wouldnt have caved and would have just stayed on 3.0.0. Mario Odyssey made me cave though xD Still looking to find a 3.0.0 or a 1.0.0 switch... Basically impossible now without it being overpriced.

Last edited by Lumince,

Yanda

Trophies
XP
Country
I always said that we should stay on lower FW.
But now it is not.
There is no reason to stay there if it is 3.0.1 or higher.:D

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'd say lets make this a thread where all the different people always asking these kind of question can talk to each other in circles for as long as they want. :)

Lets just not give them any answers - for as long as there is nothing to do with that answer. :)

In the interest of enlightenment. Nothing needs to be bent - if you have another way of shorting two pins at bootup. Like "puting a piece of tinfoil on the tip of your nose, and pressing your nose against them - juuust the right way", or using a dongle, or a screwdriver, just lightly pressing something metal against those pins.

The instagramm faction currently is very vocal in here - imagining the world one impressive image at a time. They saw bent pins. And by god, that stuck in their heads. Now thats all they can talk about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Alternatively - lets see how this answer is liked:

If you see all the talk about pin bending, and having to use dongles, or screwdrivers after every boot - and immediatly think "thats something - I would like to do thousands of times" in the following years - then perhaps immediately updating might seem like the way to go for you.

If it sounds "somewhat bothersome" to you - wait for more information on better/easier methods. (If they become available might still depend on your firmware (- or on what a modchip does, once information about them gets released))

And dont always ask how this "effects you on your firmware" - take the available information, make sense of it on your own. A forum is not a "thinking service" for everyone that just asks.

"I have a 72% neediness to play the current "whatever" - online, how does this go together with the 20% likelyhood of me seeing a better way to get "something unspecified" on exactly 4.2.0?"

"I have a 64% neediness to play the current "whatever" - online, how does this go together with the 5% likelyhood of me seeing a better way to get "something unspecified" on exactly 5.0.0?"

If you think that other people will answer that question for you - eh.. Maybe not...

Also - yes, we think that you are pretty much dumb.. (This was added after this posting already received one like. :) )

"Lower is better" is the statement that makes the percentage depicted above in BOLD rise. By an unspecified amount. Apart from that it doesn't do much. If you are on 1.0.0 - there still might be a chance, that you are getting "the holy grail" of software exploits ("press A and it just works") - thats still not there yet. If you are on 3.0.0 you have little need to update from a homebrew perspective - currently. If you are above that, you are betting against unknown odds of stuff being discovered and implemented.

Well, we don't have a "holy grail" exploit yet-- I just think that a 1.0.0 is most likely to get one. :)

short summary for pre-Mariko units:
1.0.0: has a nice non-coldboot solution, and is the most likely to get a Holy Grail CFW-launching exploit in the future
<3.0.1: has enough power to avoid a hardmod immediately, even if you'll probably want to just do the hardmod 'cuz the hardmod's so easy
<=4.1.0: will eventually see a hardmod-less solution, but will need that 'minor hardmod' at launch
>4.1.0: that 'minor hardmod' is required; though we may find a solution to avoid this in the future

For your next betting tips, please consult a friend - or that random guy on the internet, that always tells you which cryptocurrencies you should invest in. I think his name is Pete and hes in advertising.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: geek_76

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: