• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Submarine Titan sinking

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Dude spent 250k$ on a trip where he had to sign a discharge where it was stated at least trice that there were risks of death
The submarine is piloted by a 40$ logitech controller
Sorry but not sorry, i have no sympathy right now
Yep it seems other people's lives are not important to you. Next time I see you whining about something I shall refer you to your post and then ask you why you expect anyone to care.

Reactions: M7L7NK7

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No reason one can't empathize with their friends and family members, but to be fair to Nocto, the more you read about this, the more you realize the mission was fated to win a Darwin Award. The submersible was hardly any better than what could be cobbled together in someone's garage, and the cherry on top was communications systems provided by Space X/Starlink. Russian roulette gives better odds of survival than getting in a death tube like that.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They're probably already dead. TBH if billionaires killing themselves by cheaping out on the build quality of a submarine isn't funny, I don't know what is. They could've literally just bought a de-weaponized sub from the US military. It's even more surprising that they were willing to use themselves as the guinea pigs for once, instead of the poor.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's the loss of an actual human's life that isn't funny. I've never needed to say touch grass before, but this isn't the internet, it's real people's lives ending.. and it's pretty fucked up if you can't see that.

Reactions: mrdude

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The US army uses Xbox controllers for some of their weapons systems and remote operation, and using off-the-shelf gaming controllers instead of trying to develop your own is practically industry standard.

I think the sinking has more to do with the fact the rest of the sub was made with Flex tape and PVC tubing.

On the other hand the submarine could have been rock solid, the sea will still fuck you up on a whim.

(It wasn't, though, it was made with Flex tape and PVC tubing.)

Reactions: Xzi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The debris of the submarine has been located, all aboard are "presumed dead" (the same way the dodo is "presumed" dead). US navy sonars detected a loud "crunch" in the Atlantic on Sunday, and it is now believed that was the sound of the sub imploding.

And in related news, looks like the gamepad was the only thing that didn't malfunction, so give Logitech a break :tpi:

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi and Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While the deaths are tragic it really should be on the company to reimburse the search and rescue efforts which the tax payers would otherwise subsidize.
I'm pretty sure of what the company is gonna tell you if they were seeing your message

"our reputation just got a hard blow, and now you want us to reimburse millions of dollars? You want our death?"

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't believe we have yet another Titanic tragedy.
did you read the name of the engine...
...because said something about that once... long ago...
1687536721570.png

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

Perisys1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple billionaires got into a sewage drain pipe with a logitech controller, built with the worst materials for deep sea depth, signing a waiver that takes away responsibility in the event of death, and got insta-killed by an implosion.

Literally the only death on the ship I feel bad about is the 19 year old that was pushed into it by his dad. At least he died with family and not alone though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: colonel, I'm trying to sneak around +1