Suggestion. I think we should ban political threads.

Josshy0125

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's causing a lot of tension, pissing me off, as well as others, and there are far too many trolls.

I think we should just get rid of this section. It just causes division and frustration. Thanks.

(I don't really care about discussing whether or not this is a good or a bad idea i jusy wanted to get my opinion out there.)

Last edited by Josshy0125,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This place used to be way less politically rabid when it was still an open piracy forum, ironically.
Biggest threads were the newest GBA antipiracy methods and evading them with patches.
Any time politics worms its way into a non-political website, it becomes total dogshit and I'd be lying if I said I didn't* lurk here a lot less lately with all the politics. Too much effort to hide and ignore stuff when you can just as easily close your browser and play a video game.
The open piracy forum part ended with the ROM section, which was 2002. Today you can still find guides on really odd ways to do backups (but ways that work better with downloaded media), means of correcting any protection they have for hardware or emulators, and discussions of pulling apart games to make them work the ways people want them to work (cheats, ROM hacking, and other things devs likely care little to see), nobody cares if you either overtly or by simple deduction aspire to be a pirate*, and if you want to discuss the latest Switch release (checking a random predb then Ni_no_Kuni_Shiroki_Seihai_no_Joo_for_Nintendo_Switch_JPN_NSW-HR and it dropped 20/09/2019 at 13:04:41, or two days ago at time of writing) then you can do that too quite happily and have it be on topic in the games section. Unless you mean when posts detailing Scene releases stopped being a site focus but I would hardly call that shedding open piracy.

*I quite often compare rules to video encoding sites. Now these sites hosted extensive discussions of DVD ripping and circumvention of protections (at this point it was prior to the corrupt sector stuff which DVDs took to in later years) but in many of them if you rocked up asking for what was clearly help converting say a H264 video to XVID (no H264 in the wild at this point -- cameras would be a few years yet before they used it, and if you managed to have such a thing then you would probably be the one asking far more in depth questions) then pirate go home would be response even if you could convincingly write it off as an innocent thing to do and essentially the same method/programs/workflow would apply to your home video camera MPEG2 or whatever.

Similarly we had discussions of political hotbutton issues (I know it is mostly an American thing and nowhere else cares much but here is a fairly extensive abortion discussion from 2008 https://gbatemp.net/threads/abortion.86018/ ), general day to day politics and all that goes with that for as long as I have been here and watching, and as far as I can tell early on as well. Now there might well have been something of a cultural shift (outside games and possibly within too) during that time, which is an endlessly fascinating notion for me, and there has been a growing push for what some dub escapism but that is something of a different topic, or perhaps it isn't and the shifting sands have made hosting political discussion untenable where before they were not. I pondered a bit further in https://gbatemp.net/threads/on-political-discussions-in-gaming-forums.529244/ but I will stick around this thread for the time being.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
You know what's like the only thing that's leaking from the Politics Subforum? Literal mention of the Politcs Subforum.
Rule #1 of the Politics Subforum: do not talk about the Politics Subforum.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Okay some, but not that many. I see the forums most active propagandists are still at it. Luckily I have ignored the persons so the nonsense doesn't show up.

Skickat från min Mi 9 SE via Tapatalk

Well any more and it just becomes censorship, if you notice the reasons why most of them were locked is because of "bait". If you want those guys to get banned or something, you will have to wait till they slip and make the wrong move, then the mods have an excuse to stop resisting the ban button. :P

Rolf12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Well any more and it just becomes censorship, if you notice the reasons why most of them were locked is because of "bait". If you want those guys to get banned or something, you will have to wait till they slip and make the wrong move, then the mods have an excuse to stop resisting the ban button. :P
Hehe. That's the way.

Skickat från min Mi 9 SE via Tapatalk

Reactions: Jiehfeng

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I don't come to a gaming site to discuss politics and would prefer to keep them separate. I just quit a comic book website for exactly that reason. I couldn't go to read about my favorite comics without the inevitable political b.s. interrupting things. I'm not suggesting to ban political discussions, but when/if the day comes where politics interferes too much with this site then I would definitely say goodbye. Its a shame that the two can't stay separated.

Reactions: Rolf12

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, if you dislike it, just block the political section of the forum. I don't mind politics on this forum, as long as they stay in the political section.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to thank the mods for cracking down on some these threads.
Yep especially that one thread that the issue is very close to my heart about (yall should know which one I mean if you know me lol) Also was nice to see the site staff take pretty quick action to lock that issue for once. So huge thanks to @WeedZ for doing that.

That one took all my power not to snap and reply with an angry rant instead I played nice and just hit them with facts that they could not argue with :rofl2:

Also them going there with that thread was just pure laziness yet at the same time I was surprised it took them so long. Its normally one of the first things people like them normally try to get a rise from.

Reactions: IncredulousP

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have suggested, though, it might be a good idea to remove it from the recent content feed just to keep the focus on gaming-related stuff. If anyone wants to talk politics they can still go to the sub-forum.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/exclude...tab-in-front-page-recent-content-feed.546276/

Personally the only problem I see plaguing the politics section is the blatant propaganda and misinformation being posted constantly and protected as "political opinion."

Last edited by IncredulousP,
Reactions: AmandaRose

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep especially that one thread that the issue is very close to my heart about (yall should know which one I mean if you know me lol)

I am guessing that was the " ‘Hundreds’ Of Young People Regret Gender Transition, Seek Reversal" thread. It is beyond my abilities to peek into right now but I did see the story discussed elsewhere... a rather unfortunate set of occurrences. Was it devoid of any kind of nuance or option for discussion?

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing that was the " ‘Hundreds’ Of Young People Regret Gender Transition, Seek Reversal" thread. It is beyond my abilities to peek into right now but I did see the story discussed elsewhere... a rather unfortunate set of occurrences. Was it devoid of any kind of nuance or option for discussion?
It was just another thread that was created to cause trouble and had a lot of hidden meaning in it that would have went unnoticed by 99% of the site members. Also its something that has been posted about before and has always ended up turning nasty.

I'm all for friendly discussion and have nothing against the site having a political section. Where I do have issues is with the political section being used for political propaganda by two site members and them stating on several occasions that they have zero interest in discussing anything with site members that disagree with them. Doesn't that go against the whole principle of the political section being there for friendly discussion?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was just another thread that was created to cause trouble and had a lot of hidden meaning in it that would have went unnoticed by 99% of the site members. Also its something that has been posted about before and has always ended up turning nasty.

I'm all for friendly discussion and have nothing against the site having a political section. Where I do have issues is with the political section being used for political propaganda by two site members and them stating on several occasions that they have zero interest in discussing anything with site members that disagree with them. Doesn't that go against the whole principle of the political section being there for friendly discussion?
Always a fun one. Arguably disingenuous threads being something you almost have to suffer if you are going to aim for open discussion (others reading a this point in time a nice starter http://cryptome.org/2012/07/gent-forum-spies.htm ).
Personally I still don't see deletions, (b)locking and whatnot as the way out of it, though occasionally necessary, and outright blocking of any discussion is worse still. The more effort but better results approach of pre-empting, relentlessly seeking justification and extraction of whatever truths underpin things doing far better for me. Certainly harder in the current political climates where irrationality is far more common than it ought to be, said irrationality is glimpsed all over the shop, and partisanship has been elevated to art form (I have always hated modern art), as well as several things seemingly undergoing shifts of great magnitude. In the end he who wrestles with pigs might invariably end up dirty but I have no problem with dirt.

D

Deleted User

iu

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Always a fun one. Arguably disingenuous threads being something you almost have to suffer if you are going to aim for open discussion (others reading a this point in time a nice starter http://cryptome.org/2012/07/gent-forum-spies.htm ).
Personally I still don't see deletions, (b)locking and whatnot as the way out of it, though occasionally necessary, and outright blocking of any discussion is worse still. The more effort but better results approach of pre-empting, relentlessly seeking justification and extraction of whatever truths underpin things doing far better for me. Certainly harder in the current political climates where irrationality is far more common than it ought to be, said irrationality is glimpsed all over the shop, and partisanship has been elevated to art form (I have always hated modern art), as well as several things seemingly undergoing shifts of great magnitude. In the end he who wrestles with pigs might invariably end up dirty but I have no problem with dirt.

Your way with words sometimes is quite confusing to me to get what you say sometimes, a little too complex personally, I feel as though more complex words shouldn't be used consecutively and consistently, it makes understanding a difficult job, at least for me. The right way would be to use uncommon words a bit rarely imo.

That's what I think anyway, I do hope one day I will reach on one side an intellectual point where I can read and understand posts like that at the same time with ease.

Maybe it just has something to do with too many words in one post I'm not yet familiar with haha.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,
Reactions: Reynardine

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just found it very interesting that we haven't had a transgender bashing thread in months then just a few hours after I posted in this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/trump-s...ng-democrats-are-stealing-health-care.549498/ they felt the need to create one. Very interesting timing indeed.

I'm sure the two events are entirely unconected lol and had absolutely fuck all to do with my huge post pointing out everything in great detail their beloved leader has done against the trans community :rofl2:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just found it very interesting that we haven't had a transgender bashing thread in months then just a few hours after I posted in this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/trump-s...ng-democrats-are-stealing-health-care.549498/ they felt the need to create one. Very interesting timing indeed.

I'm sure the two events are entirely unconected lol and had absolutely fuck all to do with my huge post pointing out everything in great detail their beloved leader has done against the trans community :rofl2:
I can't get there. I would far sooner bet on it being a nice story for one of the list of common talking points. Sadly having such a thread made by someone with such a mindset might mean the actual nuance (if such things are being pushed too hard, or without regard for a modifier condition, then that is horrible), hence the justify, preempt and extract approach.

Your way with words sometimes is quite confusing to me to get what you say sometimes, a little too complex personally, I feel as though more complex words shouldn't be used consecutively and consistently, it makes understanding a difficult job, at least for me. The right way would be to use uncommon words a bit rarely imo.

That's what I think anyway, I do hope one day I will reach on one side an intellectual point where I can read and understand posts like that at the same time with ease.

Maybe it just has something to do with too many words in one post I'm not yet familiar with haha.
Not the first time such a comment has been made, and I do try to curtail certain words and sentence construction styles, however I do also find it all too easy to slip back into it as it is the way my head naturally phrases things and an active step to stop it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER