Suggestion Treat Likes/Messages from the Politics section as EOF ones (No XP from them)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This might sound a bit entitled, but I want to share my thoughts on this.

I'd like to suggest that the likes/reactions, messages in the politics section to be treated like those with EOF posts.
Meaning that likes/reactions and messages in the Politics section should not count towards the XP system nor the levels system for the site.

Here's my reasoning:
There has been a noticeable increase of politics-related threads being created each day, even for the slightest of politics news or the usual topics that are meant to cause controversy.
With these topics in particular, there's a notable influx of the usual people from both sides throwing personal beliefs at each other.

I don't want to make this long, but to sum it up, they're nothing more than echo chambers for both sides of the spectrum to spam the like system between each other, and the fact that this happens with each new message each one of them posts doesn't help. So basically, not only are those topics made to create controversy to spam messages, but also to spam likes between both sides of the political spectrum.

Again, I don't want to sound harsh, or entitled, that is not my intention.

The point is that the XP system should incentivize members to create content that helps the site and its main purpose - gaming.
Be it with helpful tutorials, gaming news, helping members with doubts or setups, sharing files, saves, etc., and with those kind of sections adding up to the XP, it doesn't really create that incentive for others to participate in this matter.

Hope this isn't taken in a bad way, but I do hope this gets considered.
Thanks for those that took the time to read it.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Honestly, I agree with this.
The XP system is in place so that you can tell how helpful/experienced somebody is at a glance, when they reply to your thread. Politics on a gaming forum are off-topic: Just because somebody gained a bunch of levels by partaking in political discussion, doesn't mean they can help you unbrick your Nintendo 3DS.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wonder which thread caused you to write all this...time to speculate, I guess

Honestly, I agree with this.
The XP system is in place so that you can tell how helpful/experienced somebody is at a glance, when they reply to your thread. Politics on a gaming forum are off-topic: Just because somebody gained a bunch of levels by partaking in political discussion, doesn't mean they can help you unbrick your Nintendo 3DS.
I mean, bricking your 3DS is near impossible nowadays. And if for whatever reason you manage to do it anyway...it's your fault lmao

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wonder which thread caused you to write all this...time to speculate, I guess
All of them?
Just look at any of them as a single example, they all follow the same structure and each new reply gets the usual likes from the same-partisan ideology members.
I come here to enjoy gaming related stuff and contribute to the gaming community this site has built for decades, I'm not here to debate politics.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
All of them?
Just look at any of them as a single example, they all follow the same structure and each new reply gets the usual likes from the same-partisan ideology members.
I come here to enjoy gaming related stuff and contribute to the gaming community this site has built for decades, I'm not here to debate politics.
Then why not suggest the mods to straight up delete the politics channels? I think they should have never been created in the first place

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Then why not suggest the mods to straight up delete the politics channels? I think they should have never been created in the first place
They like to suck it up between themselves, that's how they roll.
I don't think they should be deleted altogether, just not taken into account for XP on the site.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I mean, bricking your 3DS is near impossible nowadays. And if for whatever reason you manage to do it anyway...it's your fault lmao
So, anyone who bricks their system due to whatever mistake they made should just give up and throw it out instead of being offered help in fixing it? That's a pretty bad take, my friend.
Besides, I wasn't just thinking of this one specific case, but anything hacking/gaming-related.

They like to suck it up between themselves, that's how they roll.
I don't think they should be deleted altogether, just not taken into account for XP on the site.
The politics forum was created so that threads about politics don't clutter up the rest of the forum. If it got deleted, these same threads would just be created in General Off-Topic, or some other subforum. At least they are fenced off now.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The politics forum was created so that threads about politics don't clutter up the rest of the forum. If it got deleted, these same threads would just be created in General Off-Topic, or some other subforum. At least they are fenced off now.

Yeah that was my point, they can exist with no issues, just that I don't think those echo chambers should be counted towards the XP system when other people are actually developing and doing things that further incentivize user engagement in gaming.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A reminder for everyone that's been liking the OP post, please also click on the Upvote button on the right of the post.
It's a blue bar, and for upvoting you press on the Up arrow.

With this the admins and mods can know that there's other people interested in this suggestion.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A reminder for everyone that's been liking the OP post, please also click on the Upvote button on the right of the post.
It's a blue bar, and for upvoting you press on the Up arrow.

With this the admins and mods can know that there's other people interested in this suggestion.

Not like, admins expect suggestions to reach a level of upvotes in order to make things happen... but I agree, so I liked and upvoted.

Actually, in my opinion there shouldn't even be a like feature (on that particular forum) in the first place.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100% agreed! It's been like this for quite some time now (WAY TOO MUCH threads about politics).. It needs to be tamed. Sometimes i wonder if i'm in a gaming website or some place else, when 60% of the threads on the Recent Content section are about politics..

Reactions: ShadowOne333

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see any point in punishing users of the forum for posting stuff other users aren't interested in. What's next? No EXP from reviews? Blogs? If you don't like the section, don't read it. Most of the users there keep to themselves.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see any point in punishing users of the forum for posting stuff other users aren't interested in. What's next? No EXP from reviews? Blogs? If you don't like the section, don't read it. Most of the users there keep to themselves.
EOF isn't counted because it's shit posting. Politics really isn't much better in that regard. It's stupid easy to get lost in that mess. Even more so to rapid fire off messages where like-minded people like react to it. May as well be part of the EOF.

Last edited by Kioku,
  • Haha

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EOF isn't counted because it's shit posting. Politics really isn't much better in that regarding. It's stupid easy to get lost in that mess. Even more so to rapid fire off messages where like minded people like it.
So what? What's next, no EXP for similar posts between likeminded users in gaming threads? If you don't like the section, filter it and don't read it.

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anecdotal but I don't believe I've ever taken a user's XP into account when deciding if that person's opinion, resource, or advice is valid to begin with. I won't click a sus link from an account that was made in the last week maybe but that's about it. In fact, that kind of bias is why I take chagrin with like/XP systems on forums to begin with. It gets to peoples heads no doubt.

• Haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol