Gaming Super Mario 3D World on Switch has a different running speed. Any way to replicate it on Wii U?

YukidaruPunch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Pretty much that it says in the title. The 3D World part of the Switch game has differences in the running speed of all characters, making them slightly faster. I've read in a YouTube video comments section (what a place!) someone mentioning something about a "hyperspeed cheat code" being integrated into the game, which made me wonder if this was a locked out feature in the original game in the first place. Does anyone know about it? I'd love to try it out if it's possible in a system I own.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

Pretty much that it says in the title. The 3D World part of the Switch game has differences in the running speed of all characters, making them slightly faster. I've read in a YouTube video comments section (what a place!) someone mentioning something about a "hyperspeed cheat code" being integrated into the game, which made me wonder if this was a locked out feature in the original game in the first place. Does anyone know about it? I'd love to try it out if it's possible in a system I own.

In theory it should be possible to use the faster mode on WiiU too, yes. But without appropriate programming (which rules out 99% of users here, except myself, i could easily do this if i had the time to do so) you won´t get this running. pretty much without knowledge about Assembler, you can forget this on WiiU. Which rules out all guys which can program in C/C++ or graphics only.

It requires more than just modding that game.

and since people don´t want me to post here i´m not going to tell anything here.

I`m programming on my own now. And not sharing the code.

And the next question would be: How much would this be worth it to you?

Since i´m not programming stuff for free. Many people here aren´t programming stuff for free. They are collecting money...over time. and then they use it to get necessary equpiment to program that stuff people want.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry to say I don't think it's possible. The switch is capable to run the game fater since it's more powerful.
On the Wii U, to run the game faster you naturally need to render it faster, which translates to more power needed.

I assume the Wii U version is already pushing it to the limits.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
It's totally possible, I don't exactly remember the whole process but I am pretty sure there is a .xml file named "player constants" inside the .szs file of each character. It holds the speed and acceleration values.

I didn't play the switch version but I imagine that with this change they also have made additional changes to the speed of other objects for each level to match up the pace, you would need to make these changes as well if want to replicate the switch version. This is something outside of my current knowledge, but certainly possible.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
In theory it should be possible to use the faster mode on WiiU too, yes. But without appropriate programming (which rules out 99% of users here, except myself, i could easily do this if i had the time to do so) you won´t get this running. pretty much without knowledge about Assembler, you can forget this on WiiU. Which rules out all guys which can program in C/C++ or graphics only.

It requires more than just modding that game.

and since people don´t want me to post here i´m not going to tell anything here.

I`m programming on my own now. And not sharing the code.

And the next question would be: How much would this be worth it to you?

Since i´m not programming stuff for free. Many people here aren´t programming stuff for free. They are collecting money...over time. and then they use it to get necessary equpiment to program that stuff people want.

Just lol at this whole post

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As MarioSilva mentioned, it's absolutely possible. Luckily for us, Nintendo actually left the player physics in the romfs due to each character having different values. This can be found in ObjectData, where each character has their own file. Mario.szs for Mario, Luigi for Luigi, Kinopio for Toad, Peach for Peach, and Rosetta for Rosalina. Inside each one you can find PlayerConst.byml, which you can edit with Switch Toolbox. Someone made a handy video as well.

D

Deleted User

As MarioSilva mentioned, it's absolutely possible. Luckily for us, Nintendo actually left the player physics in the romfs due to each character having different values. This can be found in ObjectData, where each character has their own file. Mario.szs for Mario, Luigi for Luigi, Kinopio for Toad, Peach for Peach, and Rosetta for Rosalina. Inside each one you can find PlayerConst.byml, which you can edit with Switch Toolbox. Someone made a handy video as well.

It´s not so easy to make these changes working properly on WiiU, dude.

This function of having faster moving characters was disabled in Mario 3D World for WiiU. For a good reason!

A lot of patching is required in order to get this function without bugs or stuttering.

And the question is: Would you program that? Can you even handle Assembler? No?

Without assembler you can forget it. Not gonna working.

The result would be the same as gettting stuttering 20-25 fps in GTA III (instead of 60 fps in Mario 3D World).

Currently it´s much better to go through this step-by-step.

I´m currently finding solutions on getting the OS of WiiU tremendously faster (10x speedup!)...

And that will take some time.

It´s quite easy if you understand how the system actually works to get this done (and i reckon this is exactly what they did when the WiiU-OS got faster in early WiiU-development)...

But if you don´t know how this system works, it´s hard.

But there might be a little risk of bricking...The question for me is: Is it worth it speeding up the OS-loading itself by 10x?

And i say. Yes it is. The system would not fully brick. But it could be it semi-bricks.

Which means i have to use recovery to get it working again.

Well. No risk, no fun, right?

Reactions: depaul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi friend. I am not disbelieving you but I find your ideas very interesting. Would you show us any POC of your projects on the Wii U such as : fast HDD speed (Retroarch) or exploits for full use of Wii U power? Thanks

D

Deleted User

Hi friend. I am not disbelieving you but I find your ideas very interesting. Would you show us any POC of your projects on the Wii U such as : fast HDD speed (Retroarch) or exploits for full use of Wii U power? Thanks

I cannot do magic. But i am working on a method now to make the OS-loading 10x faster. Which would make the OS load about as fast as the Wii was.

and i reckon: The method i will be using is what Nintendo did in the past in the OS-updates allready to speed it up a bit.

It´s not magic. It´s normal programming. Basic programming.

You allways go the simple route, remember?

It´s a shame i didn´t get this idea earlier. Well. I am still learning though.

And my method will not work without the permission to change files in the WiiU´s games/applications.

So yeah. Like i said. no magic. I am depending on some of you guys.

And i promise i will get you some of my magic, once you are done with your work.

Reactions: Tur7L3 and depaul

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
A load a bullshit

Changing the characters' speed does not require much, if any, extra processing power.
The game literally has glitches which let you superspeed through a stage, and it does not slow down.

What on earth are you babbling about? This feels like "blast processing" all over again.

D

Deleted User

Changing the characters' speed does not require much, if any, extra processing power.
The game literally has glitches which let you superspeed through a stage, and it does not slow down.

What on earth are you babbling about? This feels like "blast processing" all over again.

I´m talking about I/O-issues. Which would come. And you would get a lot of bugs.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
"I/O issues"? What the fuck. What does that even mean? Controllers? Asset loading?
The game doesn't load things midway through a stage, all the assets are loaded in during the transitions.
I already told you that there are glitches which let you zoom through the entire stage almost instantly, and none of it causes any issues whatsoever.

Slightly modifying the top speed of a character shouldn't cause many issues if any, unless the game is programmed or designed like a dog turd.

Meatball132

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It´s not so easy to make these changes working properly on WiiU, dude.
...you said this immediately after quoting a post containing a video wherein someone changed Mario's top speed, without even touching the code, in the Wii U version, and showed you how to do it with a GUI TOOL.

How is it possible to double down this much, how is it possible to brag at this absolutely comical intensity about how smart you are for knowing what the word "assembler" means, and still every individual word you say is completely wrong. L m a o.

D

Deleted User

"I/O issues"? What the fuck. What does that even mean? Controllers? Asset loading?
The game doesn't load things midway through a stage, all the assets are loaded in during the transitions.
I already told you that there are glitches which let you zoom through the entire stage almost instantly, and none of it causes any issues whatsoever.

Slightly modifying the top speed of a character shouldn't cause many issues if any, unless the game is programmed or designed like a dog turd.

Same issues you get in Retroarch. Same issues you get in "GTA III" which got reverse-engineered.

The longer you play GTA III, the more issues you´ll run into.

It´s the same principle.

And when you would make the game run faster, you would have to do the loading faster.

There are severe I/O-issues on "standard-written-software" on WiiU. No matter which program you choose.

Sorry i can´t explain it better.

The WiiU isn´t working like any other machines.Which is why i said. It wouldn´t be an easy talk if you want it running properly.

Meatball132

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The longer you play GTA III, the more issues you´ll run into.

It´s the same principle.
No it's not. Because GTA3 is an open world game. And it actually does load things as you move around in the world. This is fucking Mario, it loads everything it needs for a level before it starts, and then it doesn't load anything again until you finish the level.

And might I repeat that SOMEONE LITERALLY SENT A VIDEO of someone doing exactly what you are saying is impossible. You can't successfully pretend that you know what you're talking about if you are clearly contradicting things that were factually proven earlier in the thread.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is all just a bait or if TheChosen really believes on what he's saying.
Check his other posts on GBAtemp. TheChosen thinks Wii U is a magical supercomputer because it uses a PowerPC CPU and spews all sorts of gobbledygook while pretending to be a master programmer.

See here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/planning-on-making-ports-and-some-other-good-stuff-for-wiiu.487316/
In this thread, he claimed he was going to "port" Wii U games from ARM to PowerPC, since some games had significant slowdown because they ran on the ARM coprocessor. Of course, anyone who's done any research into Wii and Wii U homebrew would know that the ARM CPU is 100% reserved for the OS, and games can't run on it. (Not counting things like cIOSes and Nintendont, since those aren't officially licensed titles.)

There are severe I/O-issues on "standard-written-software" on WiiU. No matter which program you choose.

Sorry i can´t explain it better.

The WiiU isn´t working like any other machines.Which is why i said. It wouldn´t be an easy talk if you want it running properly.
Present proof in the form of commented OS disassemblies showing exactly why there are "severe I/O-issues" on "standard-written-software". Otherwise, you're just spewing more garbage.

I eagerly don't await your Wii U OS modification that supposedly speeds up the OS by 10x, because everyone knows that it's never going to happen.

And the question is: Would you program that? Can you even handle Assembler? No?

Without assembler you can forget it. Not gonna working.
Better question: Can *you* handle assembler? Can you tell me what the Wii U's PUNPCKLWD instruction does and why it's important in handling the security infrastructure?

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not a software engineer or a game modder, but holy shit this is hilarious. Changing the walk speed in any video game shouldn't even involve having to speed up the "Wii U's OS", and in most cases is just a simple case of taking a peek in the game, doing your own research and making something like a cheat code or a simple mod. It really just sounds like TheChosen found a dictionary with software and hardware terms and tries to make sense of it all. And like MarioSilva said, the character's values for stuff like jumping and running are stored in a .xml, so why even go through the extra mile of claiming you can do all these things with no evidence to back it up?

Money isn't an excuse. Ever heard of open source software? What sane human being would even ever pay for a mod, if you actually had something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Man I tried to break a CRT with a shovel one time... Took like 18 hits to bust it lol