I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Mega-Mario said:
Oh, right. Make sure that your warps have the right area IDs on them. Entrances must have that settings somewhere, don't know where though. But the game will only render stuff that's in the area it thinks the character is in.

Hmm area ID is the same for everything in the level as was my warps and pipes....odd. (Castle Grounds only has one area to it from what I can tell)

Warp objects don't have an Area ID setting in their properties pane like the objects do. Note that I could still use the warps in the invisible level. (since with some carefull jumping/walking, I can find the invisible pipe warp and warp out of the level again)

EDIT: Oh and just remembered that I had placed multiple warp pipes in the general test map. (far away from each other like with the mulitplayer map) and did not have issues with the level becoming invisible. Must be just that one level that had that quirk perhaps?

loco365

Trophies
XP
Mega-Mario said:
Oh, right. Make sure that your warps have the right area IDs on them. Entrances must have that settings somewhere, don't know where though. But the game will only render stuff that's in the area it thinks the character is in.

As for the multiplayer warps, I don't think multiplayer is supposed to support warps... as it goes through download play, I think it's limited to the existing multiplayer levels, hence it ain't work with singleplayer levels.

Also guys, finally, FINALLY! I figured out what's causing the compatibility problem with R4 flashcarts! Expect the fix to come in the next beta.
I take it that it will fix it for all flashcards, or just R4 cards?

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Considering the fix fixed issues for Apache Thunder, who is using a Supercard DSTWO, I think we can say it's fixed for everyone
smile.gif
Or well, I don't actually know, but we'll see when the new release comes
smile.gif

loco365

Trophies
XP
Mega-Mario said:
Considering the fix fixed issues for Apache Thunder, who is using a Supercard DSTWO, I think we can say it's fixed for everyone
smile.gif
Or well, I don't actually know, but we'll see when the new release comes
smile.gif
Well, if you want me to, I can check AceKard 2i if you need it.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Mega Mario, remember me? i've been following this thread for ever. I wanted to ask if anyone is working on a mod or something like that?

I think im going to try something.

this was my last video on this Application:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKxEazU8y4A&feature=player_embedded

HEHE!

(I lost my youtube account password....) blah...........

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I hope, too. Well, even if it doesn't open up anything interesting, atleast hacking the game and coding the editor was an interesting challenge
tongue.gif

Beta3 is about to be released, btw. I bet you R4 guys were impatient, now enjoy
wink.gif

Gericom

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
>>Mega-Mario

Can you take a look at the kcl files from Mario Kart DS for differents between SM64DS and Mario Kart DS?

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega-Mario said:
As for the differences between MKDS and SM64DS KCL files... idk if they're different, I may look into that too when I get the time...
Loaded the KCL from the test level in the MKDS Editor, and it loaded fine. Is there currently a way to make custom BMD's or import the models?

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
You can import a model via the editor, then open the ROM in Nitro Explorer and export the BMD corresponding to the level where you imported the model. However, MKDS uses a different format for 3D models (the more common, and also more complex NSBMD).

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega-Mario said:
You can import a model via the editor, then open the ROM in Nitro Explorer and export the BMD corresponding to the level where you imported the model. However, MKDS uses a different format for 3D models (the more common, and also more complex NSBMD).
I found the model importer after I posted, lol. I tried importing a simple cube, it loaded fine in the editor, and I saved it. But i tried it in 3 different emulators, and on R4, and it froze (tried it on castle grounds, and peaches secret slide) I wanted to make custom DS download places. As for the mario kart tracks, I'm still trying to find a way to make NSBMD's, but did you look into the KCL files SZS modifier generates? I saw the collision for this was a bit buggy on a youtube video

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The buggy collision was an expected bug as he has mentioned that he still needs to fix it up. As for your freezing issue....Only thing I can think of is what size are the textures being used on the cube? Did you do anything unusual with the UVMap?

I took a 3000 polygon mesh from something I rigged up for a test import for the N64 Mario game and imported it into the DS game with this editor. It worked fine aside from the expected collision issues. Though the textures didn't appear 100% the same. The DS game probably handles the UVMaps a bit differently. I had to do some tom foolery to the mesh to make it more friendly to the N64 game, but I bet the DS version would have handled the UVMap tiling better.
tongue.gif

So you had to have jacked something up when making the cube as I had made something much more complex and even ported a mesh from Battlefield Heroes (a bridge) into it as well. (I took out some of the detail of coarse as that single bridge would have exceeded the polygon limit)

Had no slow downs or issues at all as even the N64 game could handle it (the N64 version also had a house ported in). I later ported in the Pipe Plaza map from Mario Kart double dash then took out the center part and skydome and used the outskirts and mushroom houses to add as scenery to my test map.
tongue.gif

Video of the DS version of my test map:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2GNC4DF8yA[/youtube]

Video of the N64 version. Has less UVMap issues and such:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2MxSUbK2PA[/youtube]
(the center of the map was made from scratch and uvmapped by me. The mushroom houses, bridge, and the brick fence and beyond was existing stuff ported from other games_

You can also check and see what you have done to get to the level. I added warp pipes with corresponding exits and entrances. Perhaps you screwed something up in that and the warping process is whats causing the freeze as I recall getting white screens if I had exit warps going to non-existent level entrances.
tongue.gif

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
His freezing issue is because Castle Grounds is using animated textures in the original model. When he replaces the model, the animation data stays in (because there's no way to remove it as of now) and references materials that don't exist anymore... hence the crash.

Levels with no animated textures, like Bob-Omb Battlefield, should work fine. The issue will be addressed in the next release of SM64DSe.

As for texturing issues, well... The DS hardware uses 4:12 fixed point numbers for texture coordinates, meaning that if a texture repeats too much, texture coordinates go out of range. To make it worse, 1.0 in DS texture coordinates equals one texel (1.0 on a PC equals the whole texture size).

The importer tries to use texture coordinate scaling to scale the coordinates down so that they fit within the given range, and are later scaled up. This trick works on emulators, but fails on the DS hardware. I don't know why, most likely a precision issue with matrices and scaling... or the hardware is dumb enough to keep texture coordinates in 4:12 format after they've been scaled up...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That would be something, or I could see them doing abracadabra together as a finale