ROM Hack Super Mario 64 DS editor

Gericom

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I fully support this! Don't quit! DX
And do you really think that just posting this will make me regain full motivation?

The day I see actual hack projects come out, I'll believe all those 'supporters' like you. And that day, pigs will fly. (by 'actual hack projects' I mean serious hacks that have chance of ending up into something releasable. Not those "lolol im testing teh editor and the next day i lose interest" videos or those videos of silly hacks that are obviously doomed to failure.)

And do not say that if no real hack projects come out, it's because the editor is unfinished. Yes, it's unfinished, yes, it can be user-unfriendly, yes, there's room for improvement. But it is still usable enough to make good hacks. The only reason those hacks aren't coming out is because noone cares about SM64DS hacking. If you were really supporting it as you claim to be, you'd be trying to make hacks instead of just sitting here and waiting for the next release.
I just don't understand why your motivation has gone. I am years working on mkds to make custom tracks. And until it becomes possible there wasn't almost anyone who cares. But now are there more and more people interested. Just because of that my collision is better for example. And we can make perfect models.
For me it was allways a goal to make custom tracks in mkds possible. And I am allways making it better. And if you want to do something else. You can look for course specific data in the overlays and arm9 of mkds.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Duh. Put time and love into coding something noone cares about, and you'll understand why my motivation has gone.

Also, 'your collision' most likely comes from SM64DSe or KCLTool. All the parts of your editor come from other programs. So don't act like 'your' code is better than mine. And don't act like you know how hard it is to actually code, because from what I can see, all you've been doing is stuffing random pieces of code into your project and comment out lines that were causing compile errors.

Other people: before you go and flame me for 'insulting his work', download his editor's source code and have a look into it. You'll see.

Reactions: 1 person

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmmm... I can see there's definitely a "Catch 22" here. I understand both sides opinions now. I just think that no one wants to make a SM64DS hack that would be crap in comparison to future hacks if the editor were still in development. And Mega Mario can't be fucked making an editor no one is going to use for the aformentioned reason. I think there might be a way out of this conundrum.

If the people who made any levels whatsoever for SM64DS were to publicly release what they had made (even if they were complete crap), these hacks will circulate, and it will bring attention to the general rom hacking audience. More people will get into SM64DS hacking, more people will be releasing stuff made from the editor, this would revive SM64DS hacking just enough to give Mega Mario enough motivation to keep going, because he could see that people were using it and maybe get inspired by it. Then maybe he can get more features of the editor done, SM64DS hacking will surface. Eventually full hacks will get released, like Skelux's port of Star Road, for example. Then when the editor is complete, Mega Mario can kick back and be proud of what he's done for single-handedly cracking open SM64DS hacking.

Now if there were only a way to get people to release what they've got...

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I know some very cool things can come out of this editor, but as of now it's just tough to use it very well. Honestly I haven't been following it super closely, but it seems like it's at least usable, and I'm just basing that off a video Skellux made (a port of one of his SM64SR levels). As hard as it is to understand, people have a hard time making full hacks with editors that aren't very easy to use. People are interested in it, though. Full hacks like we have today for NSMB were probably really tough and not worth making in the editor's early days, as it's nothing like it is now. I know it's hard for you to work on it when people seem so uninterested, but I'm sure people are. I'm sure people are now, and will be even more the better it gets, and full hacks will be easier to make and will be enjoyed by many people. A lot of people ARE interested in this, but maybe just haven't said too much recently. I know I've been watching this for a while and I just haven't posted/said anything really till now.

It's a very amazing idea, making an editor for SM64DS, but I'm sure it's very hard too. A lot of people would/are enjoy/ing it, but they are probably just wanting it to be a bit better. I can hardly code at all, and I only know some Java from learning it at school. So I know it might seem really tough, but a lot of people ARE watching this, I'm sure. You might think that we're spoiled brats for just saying, "It's not good enough! Make it easier!" but that's just how a lot of people are these days. I know I and a good amount of others would probably spend a lot of time on this, as it's a very cool idea, I just don't think it's quite there yet. Either way it's your choice to make this and I doubt some random person like me will be able to convince you very easily.

Reactions: 1 person

Gericom

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Duh. Put time and love into coding something noone cares about, and you'll understand why my motivation has gone.

Also, 'your collision' most likely comes from SM64DSe or KCLTool. All the parts of your editor come from other programs. So don't act like 'your' code is better than mine. And don't act like you know how hard it is to actually code, because from what I can see, all you've been doing is stuffing random pieces of code into your project and comment out lines that were causing compile errors.

Other people: before you go and flame me for 'insulting his work', download his editor's source code and have a look into it. You'll see.
That are old collision tests. The new beta doesn't have the source online for now. The source will be up with next full release.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I think you guys are right. However, I still don't feel positive about SM64DSe. Well, it's not officially dead. The repo is open, people can get the source code and mess with it locally. If someone is really interested, they'll be doing it. I'll also be coding for SM64DSe if I feel like it. Just don't expect anything.

That are old collision tests. The new beta doesn't have the source online for now. The source will be up with next full release.
Things don't work this way. Since a lot of 'your' code is licensed under the GPL, you're forced to release the source no matter what. I'm telling you to avoid you getting in trouble.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things don't work this way. Since a lot of 'your' code is licensed under the GPL, you're forced to release the source no matter what. I'm telling you to avoid you getting in trouble.
He's forced to release the source if he releases the binary. I see that he has released a newer binary so what you're getting at is right, but I felt it important to clarify.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i said something pages ago, lets make a team, make a story=super mario 64 ds 2. I said im availible time ago and im still am.
or Ill do it alone.
Im going to have dual boot a copy of windows and reinstall ubuntu, but ill update it to 1204 LTS.

Can there be a version for Linux ubuntu of this?

I tried using this with windows 7 on a virtuaalbox and doesnt work. still im check why when i have time.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I hate it when people ask like that because they sound like honoring their request is easy.

SM64DSe can run under Linux, through Mono. But there is no guarantee that it'll work right, or even work.

Otherwise, you need to check your Wine settings, or something... the error message looks like access violation or something.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant figured out how to solve the error. That and running windows 7 throught virtualbox gives me the same error.

----------------------------

AHA! Did it but somehow its ultra slow and glitchy with Virtualbox, I think I will need to dual boot like it or not. :(

Im try to reboot and stuff to see if it gets a lilte bit smooth.

-------

Slow after reboot.
I would like to install windows but my cd rom is busted.
I notice that the resolution is significantly higher.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Eventually, someone (be it me or someone else) will make the thing Linux-compliant. That may take long. I lost interest as I already said, and I already recoded the thing (C++/CLI -> C#) and never felt like recoding it another time. (also, stuff was lost during the recoding process. The main functionality was retained of course, but some little features were lost, like that 'invert rotation' button)

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually, someone (be it me or someone else) will make the thing Linux-compliant. That may take long. I lost interest as I already said, and I already recoded the thing (C++/CLI -> C#) and never felt like recoding it another time. (also, stuff was lost during the recoding process. The main functionality was retained of course, but some little features were lost, like that 'invert rotation' button)

what programing languages doy ou know Mario?
Maybe this doesnt need to be recoded at all, maybe make it compatible with Wine :)
It requires 'mono' do something that makes it not requiere mono. yeah lol.

off topic: IM looking for a game that teaches me how to program.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I know C++, C#, PHP and a few others...

As for making it compatible with Wine or Mono, idk... for Wine you'd need to check the file settings, or something... and for Mono it's just that the Linux implementation of OpenTK sucks, so there's nothing one can do.

Fiachra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mega-Mario (https://kuribo64.net) said:
Remember what Kuribo64's original topic was? There we go again!

SM64DSe is back! With many improvements from Fiachra, great thanks to him.

Screenshot
YbDWzge.png

Changelog

* Fixed model importer, you should meet little to no collision issues now
* Model importer is also a lot more flexible, you can assign collision settings per-material and such
* Ability to export the course model, too
* Ability to export and replace an object's model. This will only work right for objects that don't have animation data, though.
* Texture animations editor. You can now make textures of the level model be animated. This also makes it possible to replace any level's model.
* Text editor, with a nice interface. May not be compatible with Jap ROMs though.
* KCL editor
* and more

Important notes
About model importing: if you replace the model of a level that had water or any other animated texture, remember to remove the corresponding texture animations. If a texture animation points to a non-existing material name, the game will crash.

Downloads
v2.1: https://kuribo64.net/get.php?id=DYaVKiyiS5z6AJBd
Older versions: see the archives

Have fun! :)

Source code available here:
https://code.google.com/p/sm64dse/source/list

P

pasc

This looks kinda delicious... however I will probably just get it for my collection (like I did with that n64 multiplayer mod) without ever using it...

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now's the time for some SM64DS hacks, looks like. I'll definitely be making one somewhere along the line. Perhaps a multi-platform project. (DS and 64)

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is out and nobody's interested!?!
If I can install this on a flash drive and make it work count me in on interested!
I really don't see how nobody can care about this...

Go right ahead. You'll be doing a service to SM64DS Hacking. I would get right into it I didn't have prior commitments to NSMB hacking.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Go right ahead. You'll be doing a service to SM64DS Hacking. I would get right into it I didn't have prior commitments to NSMB hacking.
Well I'm far from a pro hacker but I think (or it at least looks like) its user friendly enough for me to make something simple...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!