Homebrew Super Mario 64 Port - Wii U

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can I be a noob and just ask why cant a prebuilt version be supplied?
Because as noob you will find the police at home and you can be arrested :rofl: ;).....I believe it's piracy man, for this reason this build it's if you have legit copy of the game from your side and because you own it, you modify by your self without troubles.

Last edited by CrisMod,

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can I be a noob and just ask why cant a prebuilt version be supplied?
Because that would be ilegal, dumb dumb.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Because as noob you will find the police at home and you can be arrested :rofl: ;).....I believe it's piracy man, for this reason this build it's if you have legit copy of the game from your side and because you own it, you modify by your self without troubles.
Also it's quite easy to get a hold of a digital copy of Mario 64 for building this port. You buy and dump the Wii U Virtual console version. That's what i did.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah I need help I own super mario 64 on n64 and wii u. i just have no idea what i'm doing here this is intense lol.
Go to this page from this topic: https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-mario-64-port-wii-u.571682/page-15
On the bottom of the page you will find my post, I wrote a really simple and complete guide how to start it till to make the file.
Follow step by step of what i wrote, and you can easly achieve it. If you have some other doubt or in some step you will stuck, please ask here

Reactions: Yergermeister01

Yergermeister01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Yergermeister01,

MCUdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In late August after finally getting the toolchain right, I was able to compile a working version of Super Mario 64. Today, I thought I might as well "refresh" the game, so I pulled the latest version from Github and build a new version of the game. To my surprise, the game crashed when I entered the castle, and I was not able to press the home button on the Gamepad. What causes this? It's the same identical ROM as I used back in August. Can it be related to the existing save state?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In late August after finally getting the toolchain right, I was able to compile a working version of Super Mario 64. Today, I thought I might as well "refresh" the game, so I pulled the latest version from Github and build a new version of the game. To my surprise, the game crashed when I entered the castle, and I was not able to press the home button on the Gamepad. What causes this? It's the same identical ROM as I used back in August. Can it be related to the existing save state?
This it's weird, where you guys run the Game, from HBL or you install it as Wii U game package?
If from HBL, I highly suggest you to pack it with NUSPacker, and then let's see if could be the save data as well....

MCUdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This it's weird, where you guys run the Game, from HBL or you install it as Wii U game package?
If from HBL, I highly suggest you to pack it with NUSPacker, and then let's see if could be the save data as well....

I just tried to remove the existing save file, but the game still freezes when I enter the castle. For reference, I've been launching the game from the Homebrew channel. I had a look at the NUSpacker, but it doesn't look like it eats rpx or elf files. If there still is a way to use NUSpacker, please let me knoe :)

It sure is weird. Are you able to build a working game by pulling the latest changes from Github?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just tried to remove the existing save file, but the game still freezes when I enter the castle. For reference, I've been launching the game from the Homebrew channel. I had a look at the NUSpacker, but it doesn't look like it eats rpx or elf files. If there still is a way to use NUSpacker, please let me knoe :)

It sure is weird. Are you able to build a working game by pulling the latest changes from Github?

Later I will do and keep you updated about....

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@MCUdude and @Yergermeister01 , YES I confirm that there is a problmem with the Repository..........
It's not your problems guys, there is a problem here, after entering in the castle the game it turns in Black screen and freezes the console; it needs an hard turn off by pressing the console button. I have the latest working repository that I downloaded just before the latest 11 days ago changes of the actual Repository. I will share with you and I will tell you how to make the installation as well.

@AboodXD , please check because there is a problem with the latest sm64-port repository from github, when Mario entering in the castle the Wii U will not show anything and keep the black screen freezing; and the unique way to turn off the console have to be turned off from the console button. Because to turn off the console by the PAD, it will not work. I noticed that was some changes 11 days ago.................

Last edited by CrisMod,
Reactions: wad11656

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you can always go back (in git history) to get a working version again.

e.g.
Code:
git clone https://github.com/aboood40091/sm64-port
cd sm64-port
git log --oneline  # shows commits and commit id
git reset --hard commit_id # e.g. git reset --hard 67966c5, you can also use internet browser on github page to get commit id (also doesnt matter if you use short or full one [e.g. 67966c5 or 67966c53a0b52c35be461e47cafb833cec8105ee])

so CrisMod can lookup his working version and MCUdude can reset to this "version"

edit:
you can also try to "git biscet" the commit(s) thats causing the issue which probably would help Abood fixing it

Last edited by mive,
Reactions: CrisMod

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok Guys, please, below you can download the latest working AboodXD Repository. Unzip the Repository folder and place the "sm64-port" folder into C:\Users\"Yout computer User Name"\sm64-port .

To whom it doesn't has familiarity with the command shell NusPacker, I suggest you to download a more user frandly NusPacker; ant it calls NusPackerPlus, download from here the exe file: https://github.com/Pokes303/NUSPackerPlus/releases/tag/1.0

@MCUdude for you or to whom would like to use it, I attached below my folders code,content and meta to create the Mario 64 port installable by NusPacker. You have just to place your SM64 rpx file into the "code" folder and renamed it in sm64-wiiu-us.rpx .

Than navigate by and settle NusPackerPlus, to create the installable files.....

@Yergermeister01 - For the Repository folder it doesn't allow me to upload here, because the file it's too big. So, for now, I have created an address to download the repository, here: https://we.tl/t-aUOtlEQhjp
The address it will expire in 1 week...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you can always go back (in git history) to get a working version again.

e.g.
Code:
git clone https://github.com/aboood40091/sm64-port
cd sm64-port
git log --oneline  # shows commits and commit id
git reset --hard commit_id # e.g. git reset --hard 67966c5, you can also use internet browser on github page to get commit id (also doesnt matter if you use short or full one [e.g. 67966c5 or 67966c53a0b52c35be461e47cafb833cec8105ee])

so CrisMod can lookup his working version and MCUdude can reset to this "version"

edit:
you can also try to "git biscet" the commit(s) thats causing the issue which probably would help Abood fixing it

Thanks for it, I didn't know about;)

Attachments

• Folders for NusPacker.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 237
Last edited by CrisMod,

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
another little tip:

to avoid downloading the whole repository again (although it a small download), you can use either:
- create a new branch after cloning and use that for reset
git branch my_branchname
git checkout my_branchname
this way you can go back to master branch (git checkout master) and update with git pull origin master

- or you can also just use git pull origin master to go back to latest version

(also man git shows you the manual. However, I'm not sure if man is included msys2 as default, maybe you need to install it manually)

Last edited by mive,
Reactions: CrisMod

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
another little tip:

to avoid downloading the whole repository again (although it a small download), you can use either:
- create a new branch after cloning and use that for reset
git branch my_branchname
git checkout my_branchname
this way you can go back to master branch (git checkout master) and update with git pull origin master

- or you can also just use git pull origin master to go back to latest version

(also man git shows you the manual. However, I'm not sure if man is included msys2 as default, maybe you need to install it manually)

Thank you my friend, because from Github or command shell I don't use always the different ways avialable. So, thanks for the tips, really appreaciated....

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I compiled the game but it turns to black screen when entering the castle
@MCUdude and @Yergermeister01 , YES I confirm that there is a problmem with the Repository..........
It's not your problems guys, there is a problem here, after entering in the castle the game it turns in Black screen and freezes the console; it needs an hard turn off by pressing the console button. I have the latest working repository that I downloaded just before the latest 11 days ago changes of the actual Repository. I will share with you and I will tell you how to make the installation as well.

@AboodXD , please check because there is a problem with the latest sm64-port repository from github, when Mario entering in the castle the Wii U will not show anything and keep the black screen freezing; and the unique way to turn off the console have to be turned off from the console button. Because to turn off the console by the PAD, it will not work. I noticed that was some changes 11 days ago.................
That was my fault for not testing the latest commit on console before publishing it. (I only tested on CEMU and it worked)

Basically, the vanilla sm64 port recently got an update to use the system's malloc instead of fixed pools.
The problem with that is that it uses unaligned pointers, which the Wii U HW doesn't like. (Also why it worked on CEMU; it's an emulator and not the real HW)

Fixed now in this commit:
https://github.com/aboood40091/sm64-port/commit/50007f9b4a85ac5893da4eaf109b894da19cb046

Last edited by AboodXD,

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That was my fault for not testing the latest commit on console before publishing it. (I only tested on CEMU and it worked)

Basically, the vanilla sm64 port recently got an update to use the system's malloc instead of fixed pools.
The problem with that is that it uses unaligned pointers, which the Wii U HW doesn't like. (Also why it worked on CEMU; it's an emulator and not the real HW)

Fixed now in this commit:
https://github.com/aboood40091/sm64-port/commit/50007f9b4a85ac5893da4eaf109b894da19cb046

Thank you very much for that, happy to learn new stuff day by day.... Thanks again @AboodXD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share