Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a new 2D Mario game

Mario returns to his 2D roots, but not in the New Super style we've gotten accustomed to. Super Mario Bros. Wonder has all sorts of things going on. Every time you touch a Wonder flower, things get trippy and the level design changes. There's old enemies and new, with playable Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, and Daisy. Yoshi is there too. There's new power ups, and all sorts of different mechanics that we've never seen in a 2D Mario game before. Mario also can turn into an elephant as well, with another new power up. Super Mario Bros. Wonder launches October 20th.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really decided to make a game while on drugs.
We can finally say mario is in drugs in this one
"As if Mario wasn't high enough on mushrooms, now he's taking it to a whole new level with new types of drugs."
Basically Mario after eating too many Mushrooms.
Honestly this just looked too weird to me. It's Mario on crack.
Nintendo devs and Miyamoto clearly been smoking pot or mushroom (pun intended) while brainstorming a new Mario game.
A DRUGAME

:rofl2:
Looks like NSMB on acid… then Mario turned into that horrifying elephant nightmare and now I’m paranoid it’s me that took the acid.
some look a bit too much like Mario on LSD or something.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES and YES.

Okay, you guys convinced me. Nintendo R&D have completely lost their minds.

• Haha
Reactions: eduall and Doran754

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mario returns to his 2D roots, but not in the New Super style we've gotten accustomed to. Super Mario Bros. Wonder has all sorts of things going on. Every time you touch a Wonder flower, things get trippy and the level design changes. There's old enemies and new, with playable Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, and Daisy. Yoshi is there too. There's new power ups, and all sorts of different mechanics that we've never seen in a 2D Mario game before. Mario also can turn into an elephant as well, with another new power up. Super Mario Bros. Wonder launches October 20th.

Definitely alot more effort being put into this than the last 2d game. The NSMB style was getting a bit stale after 5 games that played near identical.

Reactions: orangy57

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
super cute, ironically enough this is the first 2d mario game that feels like a NEW game in the past 15+ years. It's awesome that nintendo is finally getting experimental again like hell yeah make crazy enemies innovate with the artstyle go back to your roots

I dig the animations too they stick to a pose-to-pose exaggerated keyframey look. It seems like everywhere the industry is finally able to make 3D animation reach the fidelity and creativity of 2D animation without having to be locked to a skeleton on a rig.

the character designs are so cute, the hoes r gonna love this one when they come over

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally a new mario game and not a port from a previous system. And best of all it is a 2d game. Mario was never suppost to be a 3d game. Mario64 was ok but then they just got stupid after that. Hell the last one literally had you change hats (yeah fuckin hats smh) to do different things....and the controlls on the 3d games are always so clunky. Back to what makes mario great

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When Mario grabbed the mushroom and it just played that choppy/jerky animation of him getting bigger, with the way his body like changed pose each time... couldn't help but think of this

Also

• Wow
Reactions: eduall and boot3

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So glad to finally be rid of the "New" artstyle and naming convention.. I liked the one for DS, and Wii, the sequel on 3DS was fun, and I was completely burnt out after that.

Oh yeah, after watching the direct this morning, @SunsetFelid spent the entire day out telling everybody we had any amount of conversation with about this game, citing "they just announced a new Mario game where you can trip balls."

One of these people they talked to includes my doctor..

• Haha
Reactions: hippy dave

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It basically looks like a lazy NSMB update with a few new gimmicks & power ups. Nothing to write home about. Another low-effort game.

Just because they ditched the "New" in the title doesn't mean it's that different. Watching that trailer it might as well be called "New Super Mario Bros Switch" as far as I'm concerned.

I mean come on, they didn't even bother creating an actual new visual style or anything. The assets look ripped straight from NSMBU and slightly updated.

It will probably still be a fun little game but that's it.

I'm quite baffled at the general enthusiasm here. It shows how low standards have gone and how Nintendo still seems to be able to get away with laziness and resting on their laurels.

Last edited by Ligeia,

T4kUM1X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This looks incredible!! i'm really into the new art style and animations, makes the game look so vibrant and alive!! I'm really really into this and i definitely want to play it, super refreshing!!! :grog:

Firepal

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i mean, i like proper engaging and innovative gameplay as much as the next guy, but this *looks* like a treat.

if the wonder gimmick isn't as refreshing as we're being led to believe, then at least there's the really nice new animations and looks.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was waiting quite a while for Super Mario Bros. 5 (even though I knew that would not be its final name). The "New" games held me off for a little while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1