Super Mario World widescreen mod available now

122607515-0e8d4600-d051-11eb-900b-1b072f5bbbad.png

Vitor Vilela, a Brazilian Super Nintendo hacker also known for his FastROM projects that speed up classic Super Nintendo titles, has officially released a widescreen hack for the landmark Super Nintendo title Super Mario World. This hack renders the entire game as it should look normally, but expanded to fit the widescreen resolution that's standard today. Currently, it only supports 16:9 and 16:10 monitor resolutions, but more additions are planned, such as support for 2:1 or the 21:9 ultrawide aspect ratios. As of right now, a patched ROM will only be compatible with the bsnes-hd emulator.

Twitter user @fraencko shared some images of the game running on a widescreen monitor that can be seen below.

E4O0XIFWEAArTtu.jpeg E4O0XIIX0AYCTlV.jpeg
You can download the Super Mario World widescreen hack and get patching instructions at Vitela's GitHub page here.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dies anybody have working cheats for this? I tried tricking the emulator by copying/pasting the entries for SMW and adding the sha256 to the rom but the cheats dont work. I don,t really understand how searching for and adding cheats actually works, so if anyone can offer their cheats, I would really appreciate it.

Side note: not sure if it is relevant, but I also patched the rom with the wall jump patch over at smwcentral. I forgot about it until I fell into a pit and was able to jump back out...pretty cool, if I say so myself.
This should not break cheats in an of itself, though depending upon how it works it might*.

Some ROM hacks can break cheats but it is also quite rare for basic cheats to break as there is little reward for doing to.

*cheats are basically an instruction, location and contents of instruction. In the case of older devices then quite often only write this data to this section constantly compared to some of the more exotic things available for later devices. https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_snes.html . My usual guide of choice for those learning to find them https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial
The way widescreen tends to work for 2d games/devices is the game control is taken away, savestate made, emulator moved in all relevant directions, and the results stitched together before control is handed back to the user with them none the wiser save for the graphics boost. If said savestates and such do not use the cheats while they are active you might run into trouble there.

Do your cheats work on a normal emulator? Probably should eliminate the user error (wrong region, wrong rom version, failed to activate cheats...) from this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like it wrong
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I SAW A MEME UNDER THAT WITH THE CAPTION "How to kill covid" AND IT WAS FADED HAND SANITIZER INSTRUCTIONS SAYING "rub onto anus until cry" 💀😭
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Hello, my friend.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I lost an online friend today who i knew since 2021
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, I'm sorry to hear that.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, He said that my actitude was "cutty" and that our friendship wasnt going anywhere
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, You're not like that. I see you as a really kind individual.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds like you are better off than having a petty friend like that anyways. You win today.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, but both of us were fine yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah well, at least you got us (sorry if this sounds like some cornball ass "power of friendship" stuff)
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kind of hyped about the new ally finally a portable with full m.2 support
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda reminds me of a life lesson in the movie "Bronx Tale". Guy1 owes another, guy2 $10 and the guy2 keeps chasing guy1 around the city trying to get his money back, till someone tells him, "stop, you got off easy, its only $10. That guy will never bother you again or ask you for money again, so take it as a win."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guy1 will continue to talk shit about you constantly as well
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because he knows what he did
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Speaking of which, where is my $10 Ken? And I heard you been talking crap bout me to my wife. Punk.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You were standing right there when we were talking should've said something then
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking insurance gave me a migraine told me my dentist was in network now they're rejecting claims saying they aren't
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's what they do the best, pass the buck.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That's what they do the best, pass the buck.