Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC characters already selected - Chosen by Nintendo

Smash.png

With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launching in a month's time, the hype is reaching its peak. In the last Nintendo Direct, Game Director Masahiro Sakurai announced that five DLC characters will be released, each costing $5.99. Today, it was announced on his Twitter account that the five upcoming characters have already been picked by Nintendo, with Sakurai himself having the final say. This was followed up by another post asking fans to stay on-topic when replying to his tweets, possibly in a bid to avoid the ongoing cry of Waluigi fans.

So, who do you want to see join the battle in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC? Are you holding onto hope that Waluigi can still make it in, or are you looking forward to more ambitious fighters?​
:arrow: November 1st Nintendo Direct GBAtemp Round-Up
:arrow: November 1st Nintendo Direct

Halm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Well, 1 DLC is probably fire emblem from the FE: three houses game...
Wish Elma from Xenoblade X was in...

What other upcoming games are there?

Travis from No More Heroes?
Doom guy from Doom Eternal?

SouzetsuAerir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is that with all this Waluigi fans? To me he appears like a very greasy smudgy criminal. He seems like a really bad influence for Wario. While Wario seems to have many bad character traits, Waluigi just seems to be a true criminal. Why are there so many fans of this character out there? Is it just that people hope for another Nintendo character getting a own unique game series with new game mechanics like e.g. Luigi and Wario got? It's such strange.

One cannot resist the infectious WAAAHHHHH once it takes hold.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This will hopefully mean that each of the DLC characters will be a worthy inclusion with a unique moveset, since they got to cherry pick from the suggestions.
It doesn't necessarily mean they won't add characters that people have been requesting, some people at Nintendo have probably seen the rabid fans requesting this and that many times over, and might decide they have a good idea of how they would work in the game. And if Sakurai thinks that idea works then who knows?

Honestly I can't wait to hear the full DLC lineup. Sm4sh got some really interesting choices of DLC characters, most of them 3rd party. Pretty much every 1st party character is already in the game and many of the ones that aren't would be too similar to what's already there so I feel like no matter what they choose it's going to be interesting. Probably going to be a few unexpected 3rd party characters. Rayman isn't entirely out of the question considering Ubisoft had this whole partnership with Nintendo and they would probably love to get him in Smash. Banjo I think is a long shot considering it's Rare. Rare have said they would be up for it but it seems to be M$' call to make. But then again Nintendo so often seems to do the complete opposite of what people expect so all bets are off.

Also, isn't Waluigi an assist trophy? That automatically excludes him from ever being a playable character so I'm not sure why some people are still getting their hopes up or trying to get him included.

What is that with all this Waluigi fans? To me he appears like a very greasy smudgy criminal. He seems like a really bad influence for Wario. While Wario seems to have many bad character traits, Waluigi just seems to be a true criminal. Why are there so many fans of this character out there? Is it just that people hope for another Nintendo character getting a own unique game series with new game mechanics like e.g. Luigi and Wario got? It's such strange.
Probably because he never gets any love from Nintendo. Even Luigi who is famously known as the worse of the Mario Bros. that hardly ever gets any love from Nintendo got his own games.
I don't know if his inclusion in Smash would add much, I'm not sure what his moveset would even be like since he's never had his own games. And maybe that's why they haven't included him, they felt that any ideas about what he would play like would be too similar to Wario.
But I think he does need to get his own games. He's a pretty interesting character, and some of the fangames I've seen leave me wishing Nintendo would do something more with the character.
I don't get why everyone is absolutely rabid about Geno and Banjo, but that's probably just me. Hopefully we get some interesting characters out of this though.
Indeed. Personally I prefer Mallow :P
Banjo would be cool, loved Banjo-Kazooie as a kid and it had some pretty interesting moves which would work well in Smash.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still hope Nintendo will include Laboman. A character exclusive to the NX time like him would be great (Yes, yes BotW Link, but he even is technically more of a WiiU times character and he isn't as iconic to the console as e.g. Wii Trainer is for the Wii) or even a "Super Mario World"-Mario with cape and bomb-ombs and maybe a brush from Mario Paint. :wub:

Probably because he never gets any love from Nintendo. Even Luigi who is famously known as the worse of the Mario Bros. that hardly ever gets any love from Nintendo got his own games.
Makes sense. Didn't considered that it maybe somekind of "internet-leftwing" thing.

Last edited by VitaType,

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would include some Dragon Ball characters to the roster. Vegeta in Smash would be dope.

- Someone just needs to take this formula, BANDAI and create a Anime Smash Style Game, that would be legendary.. Jump Ultimate Stars was the ish back in the day..

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
How can you have dlc characters chosen before the game even launches? That's just douchebag to consumers.

"Hey, let's take the characters the REALLY want, and lock them behind a day-1 DLC paywall. They're so dumb that they'd pay for it too!"
Because "selected" means "we already know exactly how these characters will look, behave, what taunts they will use, their animations, what exclusive stages will be added to their DLC pack (which, remember, pretty much all sm4sh DLC added in some form of "exclusive" stage for the DLC characters if I'm not mistaken) and all the other gimmicks that make a smash character a smash character".

This just means that there won't be a bloody smash ballot this time.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need Elma and for God's sake they have to Make Waluigi playable, is ridiculous that the stupid piranhas plant is there and Waluifi is still an assistant.

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I still hope for Waluigi and Geno not because I particularly want them, but because most of the community does.
Personally, I want Banjo & Kazooie and another Sonic rep, don't care whether it's Shadow, Knuckles, Tails or even Metal Sonic.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Is this safe to assume 3rd party characters are out then? Not to sound like half the internet, but I'd still love to see Banjo Kazooie, since I know Muddy Mole is too niche.
tbh I would imagine MS would probably want to stipulate B-K would be dlc so they could claim a slice of sales rather than a set fee if they are confident there would be a lot of sales

How can you have dlc characters chosen before the game even launches? That's just douchebag to consumers.

"Hey, let's take the characters the REALLY want, and lock them behind a day-1 DLC paywall. They're so dumb that they'd pay for it too!"
well that's assuming all third party devs would agree to set fees, as mentioned above I'm sure some would prefer to hold out and claim a slice of sales as part of the agreement to allow the characters to appear

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You gotta work and earn it