swap ps2 game with a burned copy while it's running?

Latiodile

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have a couple of ps2 games that are irrecoverably scratched, and i don't have a chipped or modded ps2, nor do i have much interest in going through the nightmare to find someone that can make a freeMCBoot memory card, these games launch fine and reach the main menu fine, but either when entering the game or later on when the game asks for data on the scratched part of the disc, all hell breaks loose

is the ps2 copy protection picky or will it just work, or will it seem to work until the ps2 tries to "check-in" to make sure the game is still legit? asking before i waste some DVD-Rs to make "data" discs for these games. i know pcsx2 has made MASSIVE leaps in compatability recently but i still don't trust it in a lot of aspects, like weird performance problems out of nowhere for seemingly no reason and having to swap constantly between software and hardware mode to get the game to look proper (black sky, or missing graphics effects in burnout dominator for example)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FreeMCBoot installation is easier than ever (for slim models): FreeDVDBoot.
Many games work ESR-patched when having FreeMCBoot.

Swapping might be possible when preventing the sensors from noticing. It would cause stress for the drive, the discs and your hand grabbing the spinning disc.

The existence of Swap Magic (not requiring an original) implies that the protection is only checking/unlocking on boot time (better say: each time detecting a new disc - hence blocking the lid sensors or the sliding tool for fat PS2)

Note that console drives aren't always good at reading burnt discs.

Resurfacing might make the CDs/DVDs usable again, but it is risky and not successful every time.

Good luck and have fun!

Latiodile

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FreeMCBoot installation is easier than ever (for slim models): FreeDVDBoot.
Many games work ESR-patched when having FreeMCBoot.

Swapping might be possible when preventing the sensors from noticing. It would cause stress for the drive, the discs and your hand grabbing the spinning disc.

The existence of Swap Magic (not requiring an original) implies that the protection is only checking/unlocking on boot time (better say: each time detecting a new disc - hence blocking the lid sensors or the sliding tool for fat PS2)

Note that console drives aren't always good at reading burnt discs.

Resurfacing might make the CDs/DVDs usable again, but it is risky and not successful every time.

Good luck and have fun!
it's one of the later fat models that you can't use any of the software tricks on, 50000something i don't remember the model since there's no external identifiers, so i'd actually need a premade mcboot memory card. and i'm not super concerned about drive wear since i don't really heavily use my ps2 anyway, it's not in the best condition and sometimes is super tempermental in itself.

so in theory if i launch the game with the original disc and get to the menu, the rest should be fine as long as the system actually can read the burnt disc, since you're implying there's no later surprise drm checks
The scratches may be able to be buffed out using some car polish and a microfiber cloth.
amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY3SR
i've absolutely never had any luck with buffing out scratches, even light surface ones where you think it should be able to read fine

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've absolutely never had any luck with buffing out scratches, even light surface ones where you think it should be able to read fine
If you hold the disc up to a light (e.g., smartphone flash), if there is any light that comes through, that means the disc has been scratched on the top, which is where the data is, rendering the game permanently damaged.

Latiodile

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you hold the disc up to a light (e.g., smartphone flash), if there is any light that comes through, that means the disc has been scratched on the top, which is where the data is, rendering the game permanently damaged.
the main example i can think of is my copy of saints row 2 that got scratched by my old xbox 360, it was only surface scratches on the reflective side of the disc, i got it to look almost like new and it still never read. even with the light test
also DVDs can't get the data layer damaged as easily since it's under the surface, unlike CDs where it's on the outer edge

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so in theory if i launch the game with the original disc and get to the menu, the rest should be fine as long as the system actually can read the burnt disc, since you're implying there's no later surprise drm checks
I'd actually have no idea how to safely (or at all) replace the disc while the drive is active on a fat PS2. Swap magic stops the motor before replacing the disc so this isn't an issue when having this nice tool.
7xxxx are the first slim models. The last big models where 5xxxx

need a premade mcboot memory card
This might be the easiest way. They aren't expensive when ordering them online.
Most other methods for installing FreeMCBoot are either tedious and/or have many prerequisites. I remember booting the installer with Action Replay Max (not media launcher edition). That involved loading Action Replay codes from an USB stick (and the PS2 and/or the Datel software is picky). Then Action Replay applied to codes... on itself for mapping part of the menu to the installer on USB. It took me hours and many bad words.
It is hard. Car polish alone only works for very mild scratches. Resurfacing is possible - sometimes. I have revived seemingly hopeless CDs

The data layer is near the top/label only for CDs. DVDs have the data layer in the very middle and are not a lost cause every time when having scratches from above. (On BDs the data layer is near the bottom)

Latiodile

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd actually have no idea how to safely (or at all) replace the disc while the drive is active on a fat PS2.
7xxxx are the first slim models. The last big models where 5xxxx
yeah i realized that after the fact, which is why i edited my reply. i know you can cut a credit card into a specific shape that fits in the disc drive slot where it lets you push a lever to the side to force eject a disc without it detecting it, i remember trying this forever ago when i tried this trick i saw once where i made a copy of nfl 07 or something and replaced one of the ELF files with a mcboot installer, only for it not to work and ignore the elf file, which is when i found out i was unlucky enough to have a 5xxxx model
This might be the easiest way. They aren't expensive when ordering them online.
Most other methods for installing FreeMCBoot are either tedious and/or have many prerequisites.
that heavily depends on location and whether the marketplace doesn't grift you on shipping prices just for being in the wrong country

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, swapping in a burnt version while loaded in a original disc works when using the swap trick (cut up credit card).

This is how the 007 Agent Under Fire exploit works. I've also used it in the past with a scratched up Onimusha 2 game. I'm not sure if it'll work with EVERY game, since some do / were made with weird things.

Reactions: Latiodile

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)