Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks for all the confirmation/clarifications. A few more here :)

- +1 if you use SX Gear.zip
Not sure where to find this SX Gear.zip ? Not even sure you can share the information here. But I have all the required files to boot on the last version of SX OS so I guess I have the required files ? I have seen that there is a black and a red dongle, I have the black one.
all the files you need have links in the URL I posted above. Check it out…you’ll be glad you did.
- In the past I used ChoiDujourNX to update my emuNAND, is it totally replaced by daybreak ?
100%. Use Daybreak moving forward. As a matter of fact Choi use can harm your OS. Not to worry, if you run into issues as a result there’s a link in the URL I shared that will help you fix it.
- I do not have a backup for the keys (lockpick_RCM). I'm not doing fancy things, do I need them to have a complete backup of my nand ?
You do not have to backup prod.keys by itself. It’s recoverable with the backup of your Sysnand. Boot 0/1 and Rawnand are a complete backup. Keep them safe and in multiple places.
- Can I store DBI.nro and dbi.config in another folder such as /switch where there are already other nro (daybreak and reboot to payload that seems to come from atmosphere)
as a matter of fact that’s exactly where they go. No place else.
- Or can I create a folder /homebrew and put all .nro inside (including daybreak and reboot to payload) ?
You could awkwardly navigate around and make them launch, I guess, but putting them in /switch is the proper place to make everything work smoothly.
- Can I change the place of hbmenu.nro from the root to either /switch or the folder I want to create /homebrew ?
this is a special homebrew that is expected to be in the root of your SDCard. Just leave it there.
- In a more general way, what folders are scanned to find homebrew/.nro ?
/switch and subdirectories one level deep (so you can kinda organize things and it;s not just a cluster of junk). /switch/DBI/DBI.nro works (for example)
- about hekate_ipl.ini, what would happen if I do not create the file ? The hekate menu will be empty or is it created automatically at some point ?
Create it using the example in the link above. Hekate menus and features won’t boot nicely if you don’t.
- The partition if I want a partition emunand can go up to 29Go but can also be increased and videos I have seen shows strange information once over 29Go (like 2x4 or 2x5), what does it mean and what is the point of increasing more than 29 Go ?
in theory you could create larger partitions to store games on your Emunand (which in the case of emunand it’s all on the SDCard so it’s kinda pointless). Just set it to 29 to match the size of your Sysnand for now and you won’t regret it.
- I will partition the SD card to have a place for emunand (the 29Go). I suppose the updates are installed on this partition as well. What will happen if the next update makes the size of nand + update bigger than 29Go ? Or maybe the update is not installed on the nand partition ?
Updated are installed over the top. Remember your original Sysnand is all that Nintendo has available for their own updates so mimicking what they do will be perfect.
- Is the exFAT driver on the switch as unstable as it used to be (I never had issues before I have to admit but I've seen many post about data corruption) ?
yes, but it doesn’t hurt to install the drivers. When you format to FAT32 it will use the right drivers. If you accidentally use exfat and install the firmware without exfat drivers you will be formatting your SDCard in order to boot again.
- I saw that when using MTP there is no issue about the size of the .nsp file even if the SD is in FAT. If I use a NON-fat usb stick and a FAT SD card, do I need to split my .nsp games in 4Go files ?
if you use MTP via DBI it does all the splitting for you. easy life. (Hence the recommend not to even mess with the USB drive.)
- In the past (years ago) there was a lot of discussion about which homebrew was the best to install games. Is there in the end a definitive answer to this regarding stability (which is the only point i'm interested in) or are they now all mature enough to have quite the same stability (bugs/errors/...) ?
Click my signature block. It takes you to my blog. The top of my block is a link to all the homebrew I use. You will see I use 4 different installers. There’s no need to commit to only one. DBI will meet all your needs (and so will Tinwoo, Tinfoil and Goldleaf.)
- How do I uninstall a game if I do not have enough space in the SD card ? Can I remove it directly from the switch "data management" system like I would do for any downloaded game from switch eshop (https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...-or-Delete-Downloadable-Software-1508500.html) a or should I use DBI/a specific tool to uninstall .nsp ?
You nailed it the first time. The stock tools work great for 99.9% of all situations. There are some unique situations where you might need a different tool but you may never run across it so let’s not dwell on things that may never come.

Reactions: Lamcza and Temaps

Crowla33R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually you want to back up you nand backup

Which file/folder is my nand supposed to be in here, from this three picture?

I can just copy that file/folder and paste it into backup folder on my PC via DBI's MTP responder,right ?

Attachments

• sample1111.png
    sample1111.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 26
  • sample2222.png
    sample2222.png
    12 KB · Views: 29
  • sample3333.png
    sample3333.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 18

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are those games installed in emuMMC?
yes and thankfully i found a way to get it out it's just a hassle, because when this happens out of the blue, i have to reinstall atmosphere freshly then i need to remove the contents folder plus the switch just for me to properly boot into atmosphere to remove the thing that made me get stuck into boot logo screen of doom x.x
also thanks for replying back ^^

Reactions: Draxzelex

Temaps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
-100%. Use Daybreak moving forward. As a matter of fact Choi use can harm your OS. Not to worry, if you run into issues as a result there’s a link in the URL I shared that will help you fix it.
Ahem... I indeed updated SX OS emuNAND with SX OS using ChoidujourNX... which means according to https://rentry.org/Boot0Error that I should run into a Boot0 error. The update has been performed only on the emuNAND, the SysNAND was never updated with ChoidujourNX. Then I am not sure if the impacted boot 0 is the one from the emuNAND or SysNAND ?
If it is the one from the emuNAND then it will be fine as I will create a fresh emunand with Hekate... I suppose ?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-100%. Use Daybreak moving forward. As a matter of fact Choi use can harm your OS. Not to worry, if you run into issues as a result there’s a link in the URL I shared that will help you fix it.
Ahem... I indeed updated SX OS emuNAND with SX OS using ChoidujourNX... which means according to https://rentry.org/Boot0Error that I should run into a Boot0 error. The update has been performed only on the emuNAND, the SysNAND was never updated with ChoidujourNX. Then I am not sure if the impacted boot 0 is the one from the emuNAND or SysNAND ?
If it is the one from the emuNAND then it will be fine as I will create a fresh emunand with Hekate... I suppose ?
I hate guides that spread misinformation. This is one of the reasons I never ever recommend the rentry.org guide. But I digress. I've personally used ChoiDujourNX to update my emuMMC before and I've have not run into this Boot0 error at all. They might be saying its a possibility in case you happen to run into it especially on newer firmware versions. The only thing the guide is correct about is that you should be using Daybreak moving forward since its newer and thus more updated. However unless you've run into that error, there is no need to remake the emuMMC. Just update it with Daybreak instead and don't follow that guide anymore.

Reactions: Lamcza

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don’t need to do anything unless you run into the issue. If you do run into it there’s instructions on how to circumvent it. Just keep swimming.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hello, question about users :P i kinda need to add a user to my switch now :X and read somwhere that i can link accounts offline by this https://github.com/rdmrocha/linkalho can i link this additional account by it?
What about my og account that was linked on sys nand :D should i delete it than make a fake one and fake link it? Will it mess up my installed games (saves for sure)xD?

thx :toot:

TheJinKazama

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I am following this guide https://switch.homebrew.guide but forgot to delete the backup folder from my sd in between backing up eMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1 and RAW GPP. I did make a copy of it to my PC though.

My switch is currently backing up RAW GPP - once finished, should I delete the files and start again to ensure I am following the instructions exactly?

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,

I am following this guide https://switch.homebrew.guide but forgot to delete the backup folder from my sd in between backing up eMMC BOOT0 & BOOT1 and RAW GPP. I did make a copy of it to my PC though.

My switch is currently backing up RAW GPP - once finished, should I delete the files and start again to ensure I am following the instructions exactly?
hope not because i ignore it completely every time :P dont forget your keys also

Reactions: TheJinKazama

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, question about users :P i kinda need to add a user to my switch now :X and read somwhere that i can link accounts offline by this https://github.com/rdmrocha/linkalho can i link this additional account by it?
What about my og account that was linked on sys nand :D should i delete it than make a fake one and fake link it? Will it mess up my installed games (saves for sure)xD?

thx :toot:
Scroll down on the page you linked...there is an option in Linkalho for linking some or all of you accounts. There no need to touch previous accounts and you can link all of them if you'd like with no adverse impact.

Firewarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting this error after restoring a save and installing a couple of games. That folder ID isn't in Atmosphere/Contents either.

Does anyone know what's the culprit? Thank you. :unsure:

Attachments

• SwitchErrorjpg.jpg
    SwitchErrorjpg.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 24

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Scroll down on the page you linked...there is an option in Linkalho for linking some or all of you accounts. There no need to touch previous accounts and you can link all of them if you'd like with no adverse impact.
thx.
Anyway to set up user selection on unlocking and or lock my user plus settings xD?

TheJinKazama

Trophies
XP
Country
I plan on playing cartridge games online and SD card backup games offline using my V1 Switch with Hekate and Atmosphere.

If I launch Stock and play online, is this safe?
If I launch CFW (emuMMC) with flight mode enabled and play backup games offline, is this safe?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx.
Anyway to set up user selection on unlocking and or lock my user plus settings xD?
…not that I’m aware of.
Post automatically merged:

I plan on playing cartridge games online and SD card backup games offline using my V1 Switch with Hekate and Atmosphere.

If I launch Stock and play online, is this safe?
If I launch CFW (emuMMC) with flight mode enabled and play backup games offline, is this safe?
If you use exosphere.ini and dns:mitm on CFW to run “backups” you should be fine.

https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

This is how I and many others run.

Turning off wifi completely also works.

As long as you keep your Sysnand 100% clean you will have no issues with Ninty Online.

https://rentry.org/AvoidSwitchBan

TheJinKazama

Trophies
XP
Country
…not that I’m aware of.
Post automatically merged:

If you use exosphere.ini and dns:mitm on CFW to run “backups” you should be fine.

https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

This is how I and many others run.

Turning off wifi completely also works.

As long as you keep your Sysnand 100% clean you will have no issues with Ninty Online.

https://rentry.org/AvoidSwitchBan
Thank you very much. I will keep Wi-Fi off and make sure I only run cartridge games or e-shop purchases on Stock.

How does updating cartridges games work on Stock?

What about firmware updates on Stock?

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much. I will keep Wi-Fi off and make sure I only run cartridge games or e-shop purchases on Stock.

How does updating cartridges games work on Stock?

What about firmware updates on Stock?
It’s stock. Zero difference. You can behave just like normal.

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I backed up my switch
installed android
and when adding the emummc folder and back up I ran out of space on my sd..
can I reinstall emummc with out the back up folder?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to