Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

akira022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no such thing as "sysnand" on the Switch. Sysnand was a term used on the 3DS. The Switch uses an eMMC chip so the correct terms are only sysMMC and emuMMC.

sorry, was just wondering if I updated my cfw sysmmc firmware since i do not have a emuMMC would that also update the sysMMC?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, was just wondering if I updated my cfw sysmmc firmware since i do not have a emuMMC would that also update the sysMMC?
CFW and OFW aren't different systems like how emuMMC and sysMMC operate independently. CFW is just a mode of booting, like OFW. Think of it like the difference between booting your computer normally versus Safe Mode. You're still booting up your computer, its just a different method of booting it up. In the same way, you are booting up sysMMC regardless if its CFW or OFW.

akira022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW and OFW aren't different systems like how emuMMC and sysMMC operate independently. CFW is just a mode of booting, like OFW. Think of it like the difference between booting your computer normally versus Safe Mode. You're still booting up your computer, its just a different method of booting it up. In the same way, you are booting up sysMMC regardless if its CFW or OFW.
Thank you for the info ^_^

Reactions: Draxzelex

stormzone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're using a bad installer. You're going to have to reinstall your games. I highly recommend switching to Tinwoo Installer instead. Its what I personally use and I never have any issues while using it.
I've never tried any other installer before. Never had an issue with Tinfoil originally. Seems odd everything just stopped working however with the update.
Going to look into TinWoo, but ideally there would be someway to correct what's hapenning with Tinfoil.

What is the main difference with TinWoo? I like Tinfoil mainly do to the ease of grabbing games through the shop vs having to install the NSP through a PC. Don't really have one readily accessible so makes things a little complicated

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never tried any other installer before. Never had an issue with Tinfoil originally. Seems odd everything just stopped working however with the update.
Going to look into TinWoo, but ideally there would be someway to correct what's hapenning with Tinfoil.

What is the main difference with TinWoo? I like Tinfoil mainly do to the ease of grabbing games through the shop vs having to install the NSP through a PC. Don't really have one readily accessible so makes things a little complicated
TinWoo Installer is a much more user-friendly installer without all the bells and whistles. It gets the job done of installing .NSP files fast and simple. It also features methods of installing .NSP files without a PC such as via a USB HDD, LAN, or a Google Drive link. You can find all of this info in the thread I linked you earlier.

playerman

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It may be a stupid question but i cannot find any answer anywhere.
I have installed hwfly on my switch and my question. Is the chip training everytime you switch console on and off or when the battery died and you charge it again. If the flex cable around apu will loose connection at some point because of the heat for example but the chip is already trained will console still work?? It might be stupid but i want to know. Thanks

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think the only difference in updating via cfw is that it wont burn fuses (for downgrading) otherwise it would be always risky to use cfw with sysmmc because of a ban (unless you are already banned ofc)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all your help, the Loader is working.

I re-downloaded the game from another source but am still getting the Invalid Certificate error. I updated the sigpatches last week when setting up my Switch.

Is it safe to bypass the error message and continue installing?
Please share the contents of your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file
Post automatically merged:

It may be a stupid question but i cannot find any answer anywhere.
I have installed hwfly on my switch and my question. Is the chip training everytime you switch console on and off or when the battery died and you charge it again.
the chip will make adjustments as needed. Sometimes it will take longer to boot as it readjusts. The full training takes quite a bit of time so, no, it’s not starting from scratch each time.
If the flex cable around apu will loose connection at some point because of the heat for example but the chip is already trained will console still work?? It might be stupid but i want to know. Thanks
On a properly soldered chip there is no danger of it coming loose due to heat. There are other factory components soldered right next to it that have no issues existing there. The chip shuts down well before it reaches the melting point of solder. If you have poor solder connections the cable may break away. If the cable is not connected the chip will not work regardless of it being trained or not.

If your chip is misbehaving, perhaps we could directly talk about the symptoms you are seeing?

Last edited by binkinator,

stormzone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TinWoo Installer is a much more user-friendly installer without all the bells and whistles. It gets the job done of installing .NSP files fast and simple. It also features methods of installing .NSP files without a PC such as via a USB HDD, LAN, or a Google Drive link. You can find all of this info in the thread I linked you earlier.
Thanks for the tips.
So i've downloaded Tinwoo and i have access to the menu. In order to get games do i need to find and download .nsp files? Maybe i don't see the instructions on the link you sent earlier. With Tinfoil you would just search the games from the shop, for Tinwoo is there an extra step i need to do to download games?

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for all your help, the Loader is working.

I re-downloaded the game from another source but am still getting the Invalid Certificate error. I updated the sigpatches last week when setting up my Switch.

Is it safe to bypass the error message and continue installing?
It should be ok if its the NCA error and as long as you trust your source. its just a security check. i installed plenty games and updates without any problems

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be ok if its the NCA error and as long as you trust your source. its just a security check. i installed plenty games and updates without any problems
Correct. Highly likely it’s OK. I think they are probably missing the reference to sigcheck in their hekate_ipl.ini file. Going to take a quick look and see if we can make it go away naturally.

Reactions: JackTheFroster

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips.
So i've downloaded Tinwoo and i have access to the menu. In order to get games do i need to find and download .nsp files? Maybe i don't see the instructions on the link you sent earlier. With Tinfoil you would just search the games from the shop, for Tinwoo is there an extra step i need to do to download games?
The GitHub page details the different installation methods supported via TinWoo Installer which was linked in the above thread. I've also copied and pasted them for posterity in case there is any doubt.
  • Installs NSP/NSZ/XCI/XCZ files over LAN or USB from tools such as NS-USBloader.
  • Installs NSP/NSZ/XCI/XCZ files over the internet by URL or Google Drive.
  • Installs NSP/NSZ/XCI/XCZ files from a Hard Drive (NTFS/Fat32/ExFat/EXT3/EXT4).
Assuming you have the means to install it from one of the following options, you choose that one in the homebrew app's menu and follow the instructions accordingly. Of course, you can also download the .NSP file separately and install it from the SD card, wirelessly, or USB which is by far the best method

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Correct. Highly likely it’s OK. I think they are probably missing the reference to sigcheck in their hekate_ipl.ini file. Going to take a quick look and see if we can make it go away naturally.
i edit my hekate_ipl.ini myself and either i did something wrong, or its about the nsp file, but sometimes it was installing without any signature notification and sometimes with. i wonder why... some other installers dont have this notification. would be good to know ^^

trippy86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@

binkinator

Hello mate

all back up and running with a fresh install. ive tested it working by installing the latest tinfoil but its still asking me to do a system update which i ignored

now with the emuMMC & Nintendo folders i backed up, do i simply delete these from my sd card and copy these two folders over from my backup?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@

binkinator

Hello mate

all back up and running with a fresh install. ive tested it working by installing the latest tinfoil but its still asking me to do a system update which i ignored

now with the emuMMC & Nintendo folders i backed up, do i simply delete these from my sd card and copy these two folders over from my backup?
Hooray!

Dear god, YES, skip the update!

You should look into blocking access to Ninty before we go further by following this (it’s using tools built in to Atmosphere):

https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

once done with that let’s get rid of the update nag by going into maintenance mode again (no changes…just get into the mode and then reboot your switch…it will go away.)

1. Ensure the console is powered off.
    • If the console does not respond, hold down the POWER Button for twelve seconds to force it to shut down.
  2. With the console powered off, hold down the volume up (+) and volume down (-) buttons, then press the POWER Button to turn the system on.
    • Be sure to maintain the volume buttons pressed down until the Maintenance Mode menu is displayed.
  3. Do not select any options…just power off the switch
  4. reboot

To restore you games there Is going to be one trick…we don’t want to overwrite your /emummc/emummc.ini file so let’s move/rename /emummc to /emummc.bk and move/rename /Nintendo to /Nintendo.bk before you restore those directories. It will allow us to get back to this known good state should anything go pearshaped.

Share the contents of the /emummc.bk/emummc.ini and /emummc/emummc.ini files and we’ll patch them up together.

We will also need to restore the USER partition of your backup emunand. This will be tricky so please make a backup of your current emunand using Hekate…again…pear preparedness.

playerman

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Please share the contents of your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file

the chip will make adjustments as needed. Sometimes it will take longer to boot as it readjusts. The full training takes quite a bit of time so, no, it’s not starting from scratch each time.

On a properly soldered chip there is no danger of it coming loose due to heat. There are other factory components soldered right next to it that have no issues existing there. The chip shuts down well before it reaches the melting point of solder. If you have poor solder connections the cable may break away. If the cable is not connected the chip will not work regardless of it being trained or not.

If your chip is misbehaving, perhaps we could directly talk about the symptoms you are seeing?
Im very confident with my soldering . back in the ps2/xbox era this is what i was doing for living. These days im living in UK and doing a lot of soldering for company im working for and manufacturing microchips for them and as a hobby at home fixing random stuff for friends and for fun. There are no issues with the console i was just wondering if after training that flexi cable is still required because the chip itself is still connected to the main pcb and i was thinking like maybe if the chip is trained this is not needed anymore. Just a noob question from my side because im just starting with switch. All the time was playstation and xbox. My last job on nintendo was soldering a modchip to WII so im looking for answers at the moment regarding switch. My first full training on mariko was 10s with the new v5 chip so no problems there. I didnt even notice it was doing anything :). My other question. Is it possible to check what firmware version is on the chip using pc or console . Im just curious what is installed there. I know its a spacecraft but how to find a version. Thank you for answering

trippy86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hooray!

You should look into blocking access to Ninty before we go further by following this (it’s using tools built in to Atmosphere):

once done with that let’s get rid of the update nag by going into maintenance mode again (no changes…just get into the mode and then reboot your switch…it will go away.)

• If the console does not respond, hold down the POWER Button for twelve seconds to force it to shut down.
  2. With the console powered off, hold down the volume up (+) and volume down (-) buttons, then press the POWER Button to turn the system on.
    • Be sure to maintain the volume buttons pressed down until the Maintenance Mode menu is displayed.
  4. reboot

To restore you games there Is going to be one trick…we don’t want to overwrite your /emummc/emummc.ini file so let’s move/rename /emummc to /emummc.bk and move/rename /Nintendo to /Nintendo.bk before you restore those directories. It will allow us to get back to this known good state should anything go pearshaped.

Share the contents of the /emummc.bk/emummc.ini and /emummc/emummc.ini files and we’ll patch them up together.

We will also need to restore the USER partition of your backup emunand. This will be tricky so please make a backup of your current emunand using Hekate…again…pear preparedness.
weird thing i did block it according to this guide

skip to 10 mins in, let me know what you think

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im very confident with my soldering . back in the ps2/xbox era this is what i was doing for living. These days im living in UK and doing a lot of soldering for company im working for and manufacturing microchips for them and as a hobby at home fixing random stuff for friends and for fun. There are no issues with the console i was just wondering if after training that flexi cable is still required because the chip itself is still connected to the main pcb and i was thinking like maybe if the chip is trained this is not needed anymore. Just a noob question from my side because im just starting with switch. All the time was playstation and xbox. My last job on nintendo was soldering a modchip to WII so im looking for answers at the moment regarding switch. My first full training on mariko was 10s with the new v5 chip so no problems there. I didnt even notice it was doing anything :). My other question. Is it possible to check what firmware version is on the chip using pc or console . Im just curious what is installed there. I know its a spacecraft but how to find a version. Thank you for answering
No worries. Wasn’t questioning your tiny soldering skills (tm)! :-)

I’m not familiar with any tools that will show you what firmware version you’re running. I typically just overwrite it with latest just to be sure.

https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware/releases

weird thing i did block it according to this guide

skip to 10 mins in, let me know what you think

Great! Yes, then all you need to do is maintenance mode and the nag will go away.

trippy86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hooray!

4. reboot

ok so im going to have to skip the .bk on the new folders am i dont enough space anywhere

emmummc.bk/emummc.ini
[emummc]
enabled=1
sector=0x0
path=emuMMC/SD00
id=0x30304453
nintendo_path=emuMMC/SD00/Nintendo

emmummc/emummc.ini
[emummc]
enabled=1
sector=0x0
path=emuMMC/SD01
id=0x31304453
nintendo_path=emuMMC/SD01/Nintendo

just thinking, should i just leave as is and just download all the games again? less hassle

Last edited by trippy86,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Floridawoman is the only thing that can ruin Floridaman