Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i get the regular switch ofw partition i left alone. which i never to to because i have sysnand and emunand.

im in the middle of backing up my sd card, but i think i figured it out and will update. i think i copied over the old atmosphere folders and not the new pre-release for switch firmware 17.0
By the way, that exosphere.ini file should be located in the root of your SD card to take effect. Is this where you found it? Did you hack your Switch manually yourself, or you used a pre-made pack?

music3k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, that exosphere.ini file should be located in the root of your SD card to take effect. Is this where you found it? Did you hack your Switch manually yourself, or you used a pre-made pack?
i did it based on the switch hacks guide around the time sxos went away and have just manually been copying over the atmosphere and sigpatches every few updates. i know i'm the reason this is broken, but i cant figure out why. i just copied everything like i always do.

exosphere, that file isnt in my root, its in my atmosphere>config_templates folder. could that be the problem? should i just manually put it in there?

edit: sd backup is done so i copied the correct atmosphere folder over and it booted to emunand. just a user error. but now i'm wondering whats up with me not having an exosphere file in my root?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did it based on the switch hacks guide around the time sxos went away and have just manually been copying over the atmosphere and sigpatches every few updates. i know i'm the reason this is broken, but i cant figure out why. i just copied everything like i always do.

exosphere, that file isnt in my root, its in my atmosphere>config_templates folder. could that be the problem? should i just manually put it in there?

edit: sd backup is done so i copied the correct atmosphere folder over and it booted to emunand. just a user error. but now i'm wondering whats up with me not having an exosphere file in my root?

That is only the template, the correct location is on the root of the SD card.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Don't worry too much about the exosphere file. The file you found is just a template, as explained above by Hayato213. If you want to use it, you have to manually put it on the root of the SD card, and edit it as you see fit. But considering it seems to be kind of broken right now (the blanking of prodinfo), I wouldn't bother, especially if you don't go online on CFW. If you do, well, that's another story.

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is only the template, the correct location is on the root of the SD card.

Don't worry too much about the exosphere file. The file you found is just a template, as explained above by Hayato213. If you want to use it, you have to manually put it on the root of the SD card, and edit it as you see fit. But considering it seems to be kind of broken right now (the blanking of prodinfo), I wouldn't bother, especially if you don't go online on CFW. If you do, well, that's another story.

Thanks to both of you for helping everyone with their questions.

I have one, if I may:

I bought a new SD card to replace the old one in my hacked switch running Atmosphere.

I never turn off the hacked switch as I don't want to accidentally lose the firmware.

What would I need to do to swap in the new SD card? Presumably it's fairly simple and I'd just:

1. Turn off switch.
2. Remove SD card.
3. Copy SD card to new SD card.
4. Replace SD card.
5. This step is a bit murky for me, but I assume I re-inject things with Tegra?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks to both of you for helping everyone with their questions.

I have one, if I may:

I bought a new SD card to replace the old one in my hacked switch running Atmosphere.

I never turn off the hacked switch as I don't want to accidentally lose the firmware.

What would I need to do to swap in the new SD card? Presumably it's fairly simple and I'd just:

1. Turn off switch.
2. Remove SD card.
3. Copy SD card to new SD card.
4. Replace SD card.
5. This step is a bit murky for me, but I assume I re-inject things with Tegra?
If your Switch is a v1 unpatched, it's probably just a matter of re-injecting the payload after the transfer of SD card. The usual payload to inject is Hekate. So while you're at it, update your system to the (almost) latest firmware. (I wouldn't recommend to update to firmware 17 just yet. Just grab 16.1 for now.) Also, you didn't mention if you're using an emunand or not, because that might make things a little more complicated for the SD card transfer, if your emunand is on a hidden partition. In that scenario, it's not just a matter of copying files. Did you hack the Switch yourself and remember how you did it? Anyway, I recommend reading a bit more info before you proceed. Here's a decent guide.

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Switch is a v1 unpatched, it's probably just a matter of re-injecting the payload after the transfer of SD card. The usual payload to inject is Hekate. So while you're at it, update your system to the (almost) latest firmware. (I wouldn't recommend to update to firmware 17 just yet. Just grab 16.1 for now.) Also, you didn't mention if you're using an emunand or not, because that might make things a little more complicated for the SD card transfer, if your emunand is on a hidden partition. In that scenario, it's not just a matter of copying files. Did you hack the Switch yourself and remember how you did it? Anyway, I recommend reading a bit more info before you proceed. Here's a decent guide.

I hacked the switch myself, yes, but it was a few years ago and other than one accidental powerdown last week I never had to reinject.

I haven't turned off airplane mode since it was hacked, so there's no patch since the original atmosphere installation.

So, just to make sure I'm doing this 100% right, what can I tell you about the emunand?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hacked the switch myself, yes, but it was a few years ago and other than one accidental powerdown last week I never had to reinject.

I haven't turned off airplane mode since it was hacked, so there's no patch since the original atmosphere installation.

So, just to make sure I'm doing this 100% right, what can I tell you about the emunand?
Do you mean you haven't updated since a few years ago? If so, definitely update your Switch. There's no reason to stay on ancient firmware. It just limits what games you can play. To check your firmware version, and also to see if you're on an emunand, go to System Settings, and then go to the very last item on the list, System. On the right, you'll see "System Update" and current version. Just tell me what you see there.

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean you haven't updated since a few years ago? If so, definitely update your Switch. There's no reason to stay on ancient firmware. It just limits what games you can play. To check your firmware version, and also to see if you're on an emunand, go to System Settings, and then go to the very last item on the list, System. On the right, you'll see "System Update" and current version. Just tell me what you see there.

current version 15.0.1AMS 1.4.0 S

Also for reference:

HBMENU v.3.5.1
nx-hbloader v2.4.3

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
current version 15.0.1AMS 1.4.0 S

Also for reference:

HBMENU v.3.5.1
nx-hbloader v2.4.3
Ok, so you don't have an emunand, as you're running on sysnand, as shown by the S following your AMS version. You're probably safe just copying files over from the old SD card to the new one. If you haven't done so, make sure to backup your system on the SD card, and copy the backup to your PC, as running on sysnand is a bit more risky than on an emunand. Follow the guide. Then feel free to update to 16.1 as I was suggesting. The order to follow is first update Atmosphere, Hekate, sigpatches, and finally the new firmware via daybreak.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have the switch with firmware 14.2 which deepsea can I download to make it work?
I personally have no experience with the DeepSea, but as far as I can tell you are safe to grab the latest release (v4.8.0). I don't think it has support for the firmware 17.0.0 which is good in its own way, seeing that 17.0.0 is still a bit tricky (some features do not work properly and only recently we've got working sigpatches made by many hardworking developers).

For now, I wouldn't update any further than 16.1.0 since no game yet requires latest firmware (except select few like Rocket League and such which you would play on stock firmware anyway). After you grab the files and copy them to your SD (check this short guide), you should find firmware files for 16.1.0 which are being hosted on a site we aren't allowed to link to (quick Google search should do the trick), copy them over to the SD card and install via Daybreak. After that, reboot and inject the usual payload (don't forget to update them as well).

PercuOcto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I get banned by installing some kind of "DLC"? To be more specific I have 5 examples:

- DLC, like the gear your receive in a code for Splatoon 2 when buying the Nintendo online subscription. (Let's say I am currently subscribed, but they don't codes anymore.)

- Free DLC from codes that no longer work, like the 7-Eleven gear from Splatoon 2. (You could get the codes by redeeming platinum points.)

- Free DLC from starting the game from the news channel, like in Splatoon 2 Easter event and currently Splatoon 3 Halloween event.

- Pre-Order in game items, like the Lucky Laddle in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

- Free language packs, like for Fire Emblem or Xenoblade Chronicles.

I want to know if installing any of those things (through tinfoil, awoo installer, etc.) Is still considered "pirating". I want to know if it is strictly considered as pirating as installing a game and paid dlc without paying (pirating).

Also, I am not talking about installing those things in emuNand but rather doing it in CFW SysNand.

testing123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so you don't have an emunand, as you're running on sysnand, as shown by the S following your AMS version. You're probably safe just copying files over from the old SD card to the new one. If you haven't done so, make sure to backup your system on the SD card, and copy the backup to your PC, as running on sysnand is a bit more risky than on an emunand. Follow the guide. Then feel free to update to 16.1 as I was suggesting. The order to follow is first update Atmosphere, Hekate, sigpatches, and finally the new firmware via daybreak.

Okay, thanks for all the advice.

And to get back INTO atmosphere after swapping the SD cards...what do I just re-inject with Tegra?

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can I get banned by installing some kind of "DLC"? To be more specific I have 5 examples:

- DLC, like the gear your receive in a code for Splatoon 2 when buying the Nintendo online subscription. (Let's say I am currently subscribed, but they don't codes anymore.)

- Free DLC from codes that no longer work, like the 7-Eleven gear from Splatoon 2. (You could get the codes by redeeming platinum points.)

- Free DLC from starting the game from the news channel, like in Splatoon 2 Easter event and currently Splatoon 3 Halloween event.

- Pre-Order in game items, like the Lucky Laddle in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

- Free language packs, like for Fire Emblem or Xenoblade Chronicles.

I want to know if installing any of those things (through tinfoil, awoo installer, etc.) Is still considered "pirating". I want to know if it is strictly considered as pirating as installing a game and paid dlc without paying (pirating).

Also, I am not talking about installing those things in emuNand but rather doing it in CFW SysNand.
Any type of nsp/xci installation will create fake tickets, that can lead to bans, if done on an online going nand.
One way that works, thats less likely to ban you while going online, that works for some games, is to just extract the dlc files and put them on the sd card, like you would mods for the game though. At least works with the octo expansion, so it might work with other items.
Also keep in mind, the splatoon Halloween gear is not shared via codes, instead its shared via a link in the news, which was done in splatoon 2 for some gear too. This works more or less via starting the game with specific parameters, and could probably also be done via homebrew, or by injecting news.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, thanks for all the advice.

And to get back INTO atmosphere after swapping the SD cards...what do I just re-inject with Tegra?
Yep, pretty much, you just re-inject the payload. Remember that if you updated Hekate, you also want to update the payload, although it's not strictly enforced in the case of Hekate, since the older payload will detect if a new version is installed on the SD card and boot it instead.

Reactions: testing123

desgrassia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The simplest way to achieve what you desire is by creating an emuMMC partition using Hekate then updating it to the latest firmware to go online with using Atmosphere.
So, I finally managed to put my hands back on that Switch console, and I am trying to recollect everything before making any mistakes here :)

It still has AutoRCM installed, and I believe it is a good thing in order not to accidentally upgrade OFW on it. Since I do not remember very much and I do not know what changed in time, the first question is: can I boot to OFW from Hekate to check its current status without any risks (i.e. burning fuses, etc.)

The second question is: should I just wipe the sd card and start "from scratch", putting in it all the latest releases (hekate, atmosphere, etc.)? Many releases happened during this time and I am not sure if keeping old config files would create problems.

Third question: what is today's best way to update firmware inside CFW? Also, I probably will not want to go to the current 17.0 but just upgrade to 16.1.0, can you point me to the safest way to do so?

I still have to find an adapter to read the microSD now, so I while I am waiting I am trying to collect most informations. In the meantime I have been able to check that the console is indeed working, tried booting into Hekate using my android phone but probably the files in the sd card are so old that I only get a basic text-mode menu and I get errors about missing bootloader config files etc. This also adds to my doubts about keeping any files in it or just trying to reset it the most that I can

Also, I have been thinking... I used to be convinced that keeping low firmware and/or burned fuses in order to be able to downgrade would have been useful for something "in the future" that I think never came. So, the real question now is: should I just forget about "caution" and just go for the latest firmware in order to be able to go online and use Nintendo servers, eshop, multiplayer etc. with OFW, and keep CFW for homebrew / emulators / running backup games (everything offline)?

What could go (if anything) wrong with this scenario?

- edit - I added a screenshot of the root folder of the microSD, as you can see very old stuff

Attachments

• switch_old_files.png
    switch_old_files.png
    24 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by desgrassia,

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, a simple question.

The basics: Hekate 6.0.6, emuMMC HOS 16.1.0, Atmosphere 1.5.5

I am using a partition based emuMMC primarily, where i install all of my cartridge backups and such. I was a little short-sighted and only used a 256GB card. I would like to transfer everything over to a 512GB or 1TB SD card, ideally while keeping all of my contents and what is installed. it would pain me to have to re-dump every card and re-install it (and get the updates / DLCs again which is a major pain for me), so I would like to know if the following method avoids this:

Do I just follow this guide (the part that reads "If you are using a partition based emummc"). Will this keep all of my SD card installs? As far as I understand it, the installs done on SD are not visible or exposed when I insert the SD card into the computer, so copying all the stuff that is accessible on the regular partition will just be homebrew / switch related, but not the games, right? If I am wrong about this assumption, where do the games reside on the accessible partition?

Is there anything else I need to consider before upgrading my SD card? I already have a nice 1TB Lexar MicroSDXC UHS-I card picked out which i only have positive things to say about as a photographer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Emperor Palpetine reveals that he is trans Jewish pro abortion and drives a Prius!
    Unlimited Power!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hate fuels your cybertruck
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol