binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the Switch first boot animation is in an applet called starter.
from https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

Does anyone know what format it’s in or how to trigger it?

I would like to swap it out and trigger it during boot. Any ideas?

Here the animation I’m talking about.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly this is an awesome idea!!!

Secondly, just thinking here and I may be terribly, terribly wrong, so sorry in advance if I am, but would it not be easier to compile your own version of Atmosphere that loaded the animation on boot?

Again I may be wrong here but would the starter applet load the rest of the setup wizard? So if you managed to make it load on every boot you would want a way to make it only load the animation and not do anything else?

I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, just ignore them if they are lol

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly this is an awesome idea!!!

Secondly, just thinking here and I may be terribly, terribly wrong, so sorry in advance if I am, but would it not be easier to compile your own version of Atmosphere that loaded the animation on boot?
I believe there are size restrictions that we have to deal with. I might be making that up though. I'm looking to use the space that's already allocated and has to be just sitting there unused.
Again I may be wrong here but would the starter applet load the rest of the setup wizard? So if you managed to make it load on every boot you would want a way to make it only load the animation and not do anything else?
I asked that very thing on discord but didn't get an answer. Yes, I think the starter applet runs you through the entire thing. I want to see if I can trigger the video outside of the applet.
I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, just ignore them if they are lol
Not at all. Let's me know there are at least two of us thinking along the same lines.

Reactions: peteruk

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a lot of "cause I can" on my switch. Dual boot Atmos/SX, Custom Theme, Trinket M0, L4T, Android, and Lakka. My 256G eMMC comes in this week so hopefully I'll be learning how to reball a BGA153 this weekend. The eMMC one took a while to convince even myself that I had a use case for it.

Bottom Line: mostly done to see if I could and also to learn something new along the way.

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Would be nice to have this animation every startup of the Switch. And the ability to mod these with any 8 seconds video / or gif animation, too. :)

Reactions: binkinator

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a boot logo picture is possible, instead of the Atmos symbol on boot, but this would be cool to see if possible. Good luck!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why I didn’t get pinged that peeps responded to this old thing.

I extracted the audio from the YT vid and plugged the converted mp3 in to BootSoundNX so it’s played during boot into CFW.

I then created a boot splash of the red background with white joycons and the right joycon raised 50%. This is followed by the final red background with both white joycons equal height to each other…to simulate a click? Kinda? Demented and sad, but a click nevertheless. Unfortunately the sound kicks off well after the display appears to “click” and it’s really janky looking. I deleted it and didn’t show anyone because I was ashamed of my butchery. I’m a hack, and not in the cool way.

Fast forward to this weekend…

@CompSciOrBust called me out on this long dead thread and idea. He gave me this hint and the threw down the gauntlet…

1675620325359.jpeg

kidding…it was more along the lines of: I'm wondering if you to took the executable and launched it via exefs mitm if it would work (like how you can still launch flog)

OK, wth is a flog?!?!

After some pondering about my life choices and how I ended up here I decided to look up this flog shit.

https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/9/20/16338508/nintendo-switch-golf-iwata-theory

OMG…that’s…deep. I don’t get too sentimental about many things but onions. onions everywhere.

Time to harden the fuck up and move forward. What else can we find out?
Aha! Good old Switchbrew!
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Flog

Damn. Is this the end of the road? Old enough to appreciate the significance but too new to the Switch scene to get in on the action…wait a second!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-launch-flog-on-any-firmware-version-1-0-0-5-1-0.506801/
@SimonMKWii you gorgeous bastard!

muscled my way through another hactool sesh. (I’m starting to get the hang of it, believe it or not…)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-extracting-files-using-hactool.507534/

Here‘s where we are now!

1883007B-2F59-40A7-9AA3-66F47EF60931.jpeg

Next possible clue:

Because if you can do that, then you could package it as an NSP, make a sys-module that launches it at start up, then have the NSP exit to the home screen when it's done

Sssssssssssssounds easy enough. Right?

anyway, just letting ya’ll know that thanks to @CompSciOrBust I have some new clues and a new motivation.

I’ll post any significant updates as they happen…

Last edited by binkinator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1