binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the Switch first boot animation is in an applet called starter.
from https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

Does anyone know what format it’s in or how to trigger it?

I would like to swap it out and trigger it during boot. Any ideas?

Here the animation I’m talking about.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly this is an awesome idea!!!

Secondly, just thinking here and I may be terribly, terribly wrong, so sorry in advance if I am, but would it not be easier to compile your own version of Atmosphere that loaded the animation on boot?

Again I may be wrong here but would the starter applet load the rest of the setup wizard? So if you managed to make it load on every boot you would want a way to make it only load the animation and not do anything else?

I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, just ignore them if they are lol

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly this is an awesome idea!!!

Secondly, just thinking here and I may be terribly, terribly wrong, so sorry in advance if I am, but would it not be easier to compile your own version of Atmosphere that loaded the animation on boot?
I believe there are size restrictions that we have to deal with. I might be making that up though. I'm looking to use the space that's already allocated and has to be just sitting there unused.
Again I may be wrong here but would the starter applet load the rest of the setup wizard? So if you managed to make it load on every boot you would want a way to make it only load the animation and not do anything else?
I asked that very thing on discord but didn't get an answer. Yes, I think the starter applet runs you through the entire thing. I want to see if I can trigger the video outside of the applet.
I'm sorry if these are really dumb questions, just ignore them if they are lol
Not at all. Let's me know there are at least two of us thinking along the same lines.

Reactions: peteruk

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a lot of "cause I can" on my switch. Dual boot Atmos/SX, Custom Theme, Trinket M0, L4T, Android, and Lakka. My 256G eMMC comes in this week so hopefully I'll be learning how to reball a BGA153 this weekend. The eMMC one took a while to convince even myself that I had a use case for it.

Bottom Line: mostly done to see if I could and also to learn something new along the way.

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Would be nice to have this animation every startup of the Switch. And the ability to mod these with any 8 seconds video / or gif animation, too. :)

Reactions: binkinator

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a boot logo picture is possible, instead of the Atmos symbol on boot, but this would be cool to see if possible. Good luck!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why I didn’t get pinged that peeps responded to this old thing.

I extracted the audio from the YT vid and plugged the converted mp3 in to BootSoundNX so it’s played during boot into CFW.

I then created a boot splash of the red background with white joycons and the right joycon raised 50%. This is followed by the final red background with both white joycons equal height to each other…to simulate a click? Kinda? Demented and sad, but a click nevertheless. Unfortunately the sound kicks off well after the display appears to “click” and it’s really janky looking. I deleted it and didn’t show anyone because I was ashamed of my butchery. I’m a hack, and not in the cool way.

Fast forward to this weekend…

@CompSciOrBust called me out on this long dead thread and idea. He gave me this hint and the threw down the gauntlet…

1675620325359.jpeg

kidding…it was more along the lines of: I'm wondering if you to took the executable and launched it via exefs mitm if it would work (like how you can still launch flog)

OK, wth is a flog?!?!

After some pondering about my life choices and how I ended up here I decided to look up this flog shit.

https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/9/20/16338508/nintendo-switch-golf-iwata-theory

OMG…that’s…deep. I don’t get too sentimental about many things but onions. onions everywhere.

Time to harden the fuck up and move forward. What else can we find out?
Aha! Good old Switchbrew!
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Flog

Damn. Is this the end of the road? Old enough to appreciate the significance but too new to the Switch scene to get in on the action…wait a second!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-launch-flog-on-any-firmware-version-1-0-0-5-1-0.506801/
@SimonMKWii you gorgeous bastard!

muscled my way through another hactool sesh. (I’m starting to get the hang of it, believe it or not…)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-extracting-files-using-hactool.507534/

Here‘s where we are now!

1883007B-2F59-40A7-9AA3-66F47EF60931.jpeg

Next possible clue:

Because if you can do that, then you could package it as an NSP, make a sys-module that launches it at start up, then have the NSP exit to the home screen when it's done

Sssssssssssssounds easy enough. Right?

anyway, just letting ya’ll know that thanks to @CompSciOrBust I have some new clues and a new motivation.

I’ll post any significant updates as they happen…

Last edited by binkinator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thank goodness for VPN nowadays
    I don't trust them lol
    Hmmm probably because reasons...
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hmmm probably because reasons...