Not open for further replies.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi! I followed the MMC Rebuild section of the guide and was able to boot on Atmosphere and OFW. Lockpick RCM was not available so I used Picklock RCM instead. After confirming everything worked I went back to Hekate and switched AutoRCM to OFF then chose reboot OFW. linuxares is correct, if you follow the guide you won't lose your saves. Thank you so much!
Bit ironic you hack your switch to repair a Nintendo issue isnt it? X3

Reactions: Maupiti

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I feel you bro! Read on another site people with no cfw, no homebrew unpatched switches having the same problem. Read only one comment saying they had no problem installing update 17 on theirs.
From what I read on the reswitched discord, this only seems to happen to switches that ran unofficial cleanup/factory reset tools at some point.
This can even happen, if that reset had been done years ago by a previous owner, and will only manifest now, because of a change nintendo did in this update.

musclemarch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to unbrick my console by entering the ReSwitched discord, sesrching in the switch-hacking-meta for a ncm save fix .kip, putting that kip in a newly created "kips" folder on the 16.0 Atmosphere folder, and then booting fusee.bin with emummc disabled
Post automatically merged:

Here is the kip i mentioned, you need to boot atmosphere on sysnand for it to apply and unbrick the system
Just wanted to say that THIS helped. Not all the "wHy DiD yOu UpDaTe!?" posts on here. Thank for some real help.

Homebound

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to unbrick my console by entering the ReSwitched discord, sesrching in the switch-hacking-meta for a ncm save fix .kip, putting that kip in a newly created "kips" folder on the 16.0 Atmosphere folder, and then booting fusee.bin with emummc disabled

Here is the kip i mentioned, you need to boot atmosphere on sysnand for it to apply and unbrick the system

What I could understand after researching for a while looking for a way to unbrick my switch is that there is a new issue when updating to 17.0, apparently when you reset a switch trying to clean the NAND not everything gets erased, a single ncm save file with number 120 or whatever gets stored in the sysnand and that breaks the system when updating, what the .kip file that I sent does is erase that save file and it lets the system finally boot, for it to delete the file you must boot to Atmosphere in sysnand, it seems you keep booting to your emummc, that means the .kip file cleans your emummc but the sysnand stays the same, you need to disable the Emummc temporarily, launch fusee.bin into your sysnand with the .kip file inside a newly created "kips" folder in the atmosphere folder, then when you boot turn the console off fast if you are worried of a ban and delete the .kip file from the folder
Everything should go back to normal after this, and you should not get banned doing this
Its crazy but this means that a lot of reselled switches that used to have cfw and then the seller "cleaned" the nand to resell it like new are now bricked, so you can expect to find new switches in the second hand market from people that dont understand why their normal vainilla switch no longer boots

If you havent try disabling emummc in Hekate and then launching the fusee.bin directly

Thank you! Your 2 post & attachment allowed me to get my switch back into a working state. Thanks again!

Reactions: Alan11780

nyros

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do I have to do these steps with ncm save file and kips no matter what - or does this problem get fixed after 17.0 support from the cfw and possible cfw update to 17.0?

Justin20020

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Justin20020 is it alright if I update the OP with the two solutions that works?
What do you mean?

If you have a Nand backup previous FW17 (Rawnand, Boot0/1) you can Restore it with Hekate. After that, your switch should boot normally and you can Update again to FW17 if you want.

If you have an older Nand backup without Boot0/1 (only Rawnand) you can create one with EmmcHaccGen using your own prod.keys

-edit-

I edited my first post to show you my steps. Hopefully it will help

-edit2-

@linuxares if you mean the site that you posted (https://suchmememanyskill.github.io/guides/unbrick/), it CAN work. But for me it didn't. I tried the MMC Rebuild and the system wipe. My only choice was to restore the nand there

Last edited by Justin20020,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
some way to unbrick my switch it was never hacked

From the user Arnas_Z on Reddit
Fixing 17.0.0 boot issue
If you cannot boot to OFW after updating to 17.0.0, or face an error with the title id: 0100000000000005 in SysCFW, and you have performed a system wipe or an emmc rebuild in the past, follow the instructions below.
IF, AND ONLY IF your issue is EXACTLY the one described above, you may:
  • Inject TegraExplorer, go to "Browse EMMC" > "SYSTEM" > "SAVE" > "8000000000000120"
  • Select "Copy to clipboard"
  • Go back to the main menu
  • Select "Browse SD" > "Clipboard -> Current folder"
  • Go back to "Browse EMMC" > "SYSTEM" > "SAVE" > "8000000000000120"
  • Select "Delete file"
  • Boot sysCFW with Atmosphere 1.6.0 and Hekate 6.0.7 (Important, you need to boot SysCFW at least once after deleting the 00120 save to make OFW work again, since this triggers the system to regenerate and index the missing file.)
Scires' comments regarding this issue
Credits to JeffV @ Nintendo Homebrew Discord for solution.

Reactions: petspeed

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
will this work? i don't know too much sorry.
well it's from THE best Switch hackers. So I say it's pretty much the solution.

So for you, if you got a unpatched v1 Switch. You need to make a homemade jig (or buy one) and enter RCM mode. Send via your PC the Tegra Explorer software. Then follow the steps.

That didn't work you need to do a emmc rebuild or a system wipe.

Reactions: Darkxkay

QuQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read on the reswitched discord, this only seems to happen to switches that ran unofficial cleanup/factory reset tools at some point.
This can even happen, if that reset had been done years ago by a previous owner, and will only manifest now, because of a change nintendo did in this update.
That would explain! I've had the Switch for years using it normally, updating OFW whenever I got the promps. I never hacked it before the brick happened, but the previous owners must have and wiped it before selling.

Bit ironic you hack your switch to repair a Nintendo issue isnt it? X3
Because it's a used Switch I believe it was already hacked by previous owners, they must have wiped it before selling and I've been using it like normal for years. I did intend to hack the Switch in the future, just not now. I did have a jig in hand prior to the updating brick. I had to learn quickly about adding Atmosphere and Hekate as the guide assumes you already have them. I do have CFW experience since the PSP era.

What do you mean?

If you have a Nand backup previous FW17 (Rawnand, Boot0/1) you can Restore it with Hekate. After that, your switch should boot normally and you can Update again to FW17 if you want.

If you have an older Nand backup without Boot0/1 (only Rawnand) you can create one with EmmcHaccGen using your own prod.keys

-edit-

I edited my first post to show you my steps. Hopefully it will help

-edit2-

@linuxares if you mean the site that you posted (https://suchmememanyskill.github.io/guides/unbrick/), it CAN work. But for me it didn't. I tried the MMC Rebuild and the system wipe. My only choice was to restore the nand there
I didn't exactly follow the guide 100% I did a shortcut. In Hekate after creating a nand backup (first time creating one for Switch) and storing it somewhere safe I went to Console Info then HW & Fuses to check the OFW version. Mine said (HOS: 17.0.0+) unsure about dumping the OFW (as the guide suggests) from my Switch because it was the source of the problem I decided to download a fresh 17.0.0 OFW from a github source. Then used it wih my prod.keys provided by Picklock RCM to have EmmcHaccGen create the folder with files to flash them on the next step.

Last edited by QuQ,

nobita86

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
That would explain! I've had the Switch for years using it normally, updating OFW whenever I got the promps. I never hacked it before the brick happened, but the previous owners must have and wiped it before selling.

Because it's a used Switch I believe it was already hacked by previous owners, they must have wiped it before selling and I've been using it like normal for years. I did intend to hack the Switch in the future, just not now. I did have a jig in hand prior to the updating brick. I had to learn quickly about adding Atmosphere and Hekate as the guide assumes you already have them. I do have CFW experience since the PSP era.

I didn't exactly follow the guide 100% I did a shortcut. In Hekate after creating a nand backup (first time creating one for Switch) and storing it somewhere safe I went to Console Info then HW & Fuses to check the OFW version. Mine said (HOS: 17.0.0+) unsure about dumping the OFW (as the guide suggests) from my Switch because it was the source of the problem I decided to download a fresh 17.0.0 OFW from a github source. Then used it wih my prod.keys provided by Picklock RCM to have EmmcHaccGen create the folder for the necessary files to flash them on the next step.
and that works? i've got a blackscreen in sysNAND after update...

QuQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and that works? i've got a blackscreen in sysNAND after update...
It worked for me, but may not work for everyone. I did follow the MMC Rebuild section of the guide from linuxares:
https://suchmememanyskill.github.io/guides/unbrick/

In Hekate I created a nand backup after I got bricked from the 17 update, I figured I'd rather have something than nothing. After creating a nand backup and storing it somewhere safe I recommend to go back into Hekate and go to Console Info then HW & Fuses to check the OFW version as it may be different. It should be in white letters and numbers in parenthesis mine said (HOS: 17.0.0+).

You should check out linuxares other post regarding the Reddit by Arnas_Z with instructions it should be much easier :)

Last edited by QuQ,

QuQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuse count?
For help mine said: Burnt Fuses (ODM 7/6): 19 - 0 (HOS: 17.0.0+)

i have an old nand backup with ofw 14.1.2... this will work? i have the same HOS: 17.0.0+
I'm not sure, I created my backup nand after it got bricked. I'm still new to Switch CFW, maybe someone else has more knowledge on this. I'm not even sure why the procedure worked to be honest since the MMC Rebuild didn't require using the backed up nand.

Last edited by QuQ,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For help mine said: Burnt Fuses (ODM 7/6): 19 - 0 (HOS: 17.0.0+)

I'm not sure, I created my nand after it got bricked. I'm still new to Switch CFW, maybe someone else has more knowledge on this. I'm not even sure why the procedure worked for me to be honest.

If you restore it to 14.1.2 good chance it won't even boot with hekate due to too many fuse burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto