Hacking SX Brickcode is Worse Than Expected, Can Trigger From Use

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We need kids to restrain themselves on the soap opera quality drama. Grow up already. 14 pages out BS... this is disappointing. Stop replying like hooligans unless something relevant comes up, like the promised technical write up. The stupidity of taking sides and acting like fanatics is nauseating.
There are actually three sides.. the third are the ones being condescending to both of the other sides and trying to look like they are above all the bickering (I chose that side myself) :P

watchband

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IMHO he is butthurt and he is exaggerating the situation in order to spread fear not to use it.

Will still use it. TX is making a professioal impression to me and the GW also stated when this topic was hot, that they will replace any 3DS which is bricked by GW, TX will surely offer also solutions for accidentally bricked/encrypted Switches

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fixed that for you.
There is no need to have bricking code. EVER.

Either you can detect tinkering with a 100% certainty -> Simply refuse to work.
Or you can't -> Don't brick devices you *think* have been tinkered with.

Actually there is if you want to protect your product from "pirates". GW did it with the clones and now TX did it to protect it from re'ing by "engineer hackers". It's actually pretty simple when you think about it, but the moment (of that ever happens) bricks happen randomly as they were discribed they magically would, I'm hopping on the hate train with you guys.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually there is if you want to protect your product from "pirates". GW did it with the clones and now TX did it to protect it from re'ing by "engineer hackers". It's actually pretty simple when you think about it, but the moment (of that ever happens) bricks happen randomly as they were discribed they magically would, I'm hopping on the hate train with you guys.

How did gateway prevent their product from being pirated/cloned by having brick code?

You do realize that it wasn't the DSTwo guys who got the short end of the stick but the unknowing people who bought their product without knowing it was a cloned product? Not to mention the select handfull of people who had their 3ds bricked despite using an official gateway card.

Bricking code will not hurt the people Gateway or TX are targeting. Only people caught in a (potential) crossfire.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i can wait of a better solution as sx backuploader
i have oddesey phisical and breath of the wild on wiiu

no good games in the pipe....
yeah that crank yoshi game i wish its not so bad how it looks
no zelda
no mario
no paper mario (when it eventualy comes in the future i hope so much that we can lvl up mario and frends and it is like paper mario n64and plz 1000000 side quests xD)
no lylatwars
no luigis mansion
nothing
one of the best moments in my life
love this game so mutch for this
i never will never forget

Last edited by loler55,

Randall Stevens

Not a fan of stupid people
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
The thing is, they aren't profiting off of stolen code. So far Atmosphere doesn't have a (at least publicly known) backup loader outside of brute forcing it with layerdfs. And the backup loader is the only part of SX Os software being sold. You can freely download and use the rest of it without paying for a license, and unless TX stole the code for the backup loader, I really don;t see an issue.

THIS ^^^

Mikuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
He's been a notable player in the Wii U, Vita, and now Switch scenes for a while. The only people crying foul and questioning the validity of his claims are butthurt TX fanboys that can't stand the notion of having their precious CFW regarded as anything short of Xecuter's holy blessed gift to mankind, instead of the paywalled, brick-bombed heap of stolen code it actually is, hence the goalposts shifting from
Damn, you polished his ass so hard, it should shine brither than a sun

Btw what did he develop for Switch? Nothing. What did he develop for Vita? Heh, nothing again. And maybe something for WiiU? Well it's nothing again. He's only development is his blog where he talks about someone's work

Last edited by Mikuru,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so TX only copied a part of hombrew launcher? then why these haters hating so much as if TX copied all atmosphere stuffs and assmosphere doesnt even have a proper back up loader.
No, TX copied the entire Homebrew Launcher and large portions of Atmosphere and made small alterations to them in order to pass .XCI backups to the OS and bypass signature verification. Atmosphere doesn't have a specific mechanism for launching backups, that's correct, but that doesn't mean the fundamental components for it aren't implemented. This isn't a Ship of Theseus situation, it's more analogous to taking a Raspberry Pi and calling it a computer you built all by yourself.

Damn, you polished his ass so hard, it should shine brither than a sun

Btw what did he develop for Switch? Nothing. What did he develop for Vita? Heh, nothing again. And maybe something for WiiU? Well it's nothing again. He's only development is his blog
Wow, I guess you're absolutely correct. Hexkyz has never done anything for any scenes, huh.
You don't have to drop everything you make right into the general public's lap on a moment's notice to be a reputable source of information.

Reactions: 8BitWonder and DKB

Mikuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
No, TX copied the entire Homebrew Launcher and large portions of Atmosphere and made small alterations to them in order to pass .XCI backups to the OS and bypass signature verification. Atmosphere doesn't have a specific mechanism for launching backups, that's correct, but that doesn't mean the fundamental components for it aren't implemented. This isn't a Ship of Theseus situation, it's more analogous to taking a Raspberry Pi and calling it a computer you built all by yourself.

Wow, I guess you're absolutely correct. Hexkyz has never done anything for any scenes, huh.
You don't have to drop everything you make right into the general public's lap on a moment's notice to be a reputable source of information.
CFW that noone used (who knows if it's based on someone's work too or not), tools for other people's work and just a talking about someone's work. So only his "release" is useless CFW for WiiU and other is just throwing shit on the fan. I see he is a master on this

Also do you have a proof about a large portions of Atmosphere in SX OS? What i saw is only smart part of the code and most of people said that code is just a Homebrew launcher. Or you again shittalking? Nothing new, heh

Last edited by Mikuru,

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would be in deep shit if they started bricking consoles purposely. Maybe not so much in the US, but EU would rip them a new one even if they were just targetting systems that used CFW (or even roms that can be personal backups).

Reactions: benecol

grytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Did you know that TX charging only for back up loader feature ? You can use SX OS for home-brew freely like atmosphere does, so even thought they used it but still they are not charging. They have created a new feature that does not exist in Atmosphere and asked us to pay for it in order to implement and also to get support (paying money for premium service) for OS in future updates, so its not just one time development and already they released 2 updates. Well you could say they might have used some research and few bits from that (mostly these days everyone make use of others research in some way to build rather reinventing the wheel, thats how the world works today), but does not mean its just complete copy.

They are charging for back up loader, and if its easy to replicate then already we should have open source back up loader by now based on atmosphere research which could have hunted TX more than making people to be worried about using SX OS. It would have been better if atmosphere developers shared detailed write up first to prove what they are talking rather just some random bits every few days.

TX is shady we know, and only way to hurt them right now is to make a free open source back loader or just release detailed analysis of SX OS like how it might affect users in regular usage. Even the people who are saying have reputation doing good work for community before but they will not get free passes to believe whatever they say unless proven. Right now TX has kept what they promised with SX OS for the people who paid, and have not got any bricks. Lets see what the write up from atmosphere developers have, and then decide who is right.

Last edited by grytek,

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Umm haven't people's switches both gotten bricked and banned by ninty for using SX OS?

To be fair as far as i know no bricks other than the hacker one. But that's not the point for me, it's still usefull and interesting to know what people that know things more than us, are finding, also because all these people shitting on him are the same that will use what comes up from his research to unbrick their console if it happens in the future.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Umm haven't people's switches both gotten bricked and banned by ninty for using SX OS?

This, right here, is a prime example of why people need to read EVERYTHING. No reported bricks outside of Hex. Chances of there being any in the near future is slim, unless you decided to dive into the code, then it's user error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D