Hacking Team-Xecuter Announces SX OS v1.8 with improved Switch Firmware v6.0 compatibility

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just as possible, and just as risky (being an insta ban) as playing XCIs online.
Playing xci files online isn’t an instaban. Trying to play an nsp online you get an error code and it won’t allow you to connect. Stop trying to fool yourself.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Attempting to play any and all NSPs online will be met with an instant ban.
Not really. There are plenty of people who have accidentally or on purpose played an .NSP game online and met with the error code 2124-4024 without a ban. This error code can be triggered without generating fake tickets as it just means the ticket is invalid which can be for a multitude of reasons. Lastly, Nintendo has no way of flagging users for games they don't own when compared to their Nintendo Account as this security is not present in their CDN server whatsoever hence why Freeshop was possible. If Nintendo could hypothetically flag users for playing .NSP games that aren't on their Nintendo Account, every single user with a .NSP game they don't own would immediately be banned.

Reactions: xIce101x

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. There are plenty of people who have accidentally or on purpose played an .NSP game online and met with the error code 2124-4024 without a ban. This error code can be triggered without generating fake tickets as it just means the ticket is invalid which can be for a multitude of reasons. Lastly, Nintendo has no way of flagging users for games they don't own when compared to their Nintendo Account as this security is not present in their CDN server whatsoever hence why Freeshop was possible. If Nintendo could hypothetically flag users for playing .NSP games that aren't on their Nintendo Account, every single user with a .NSP game they don't own would immediately be banned.

The security is there, actually. It's just that as currently built it presumes titlekey+personal key encryption = ownership, as you can only gain the titlekey by buying the game. What it wasn't built for was that nVidia would fuck up and allow the titlekey to be shared and then tickets forged

They've made backend changes with relation to forged tickets for installation and FreeShop can proc an almost instant ban, but it's not robust.

They also know absolutely when you connect with forged/missing tickets (for install) of NSP titles, and even send this when requesting data. Why it doesn't auto ban is not something we can answer. Possibly to avoid weird false positives from an overtly draconian method.

Last edited by V-Temp,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The security is there, actually. It's just that as currently built it presumes titlekey+personal key encryption = ownership, as you can only gain the titlekey by buying the game. What it wasn't built for was that nVidia would fuck up and allow the titlekey to be shared and then tickets forged

They've made backend changes with relation to forged tickets for installation and FreeShop can proc an almost instant ban, but it's not robust.

They also know absolutely when you connect with forged/missing tickets (for install) of NSP titles, and even send this when requesting data. Why it doesn't auto ban is not something we can answer. Possibly to avoid weird false positives from an overtly draconian method.
If anything, Nintendo should have made eShop content require a valid Nintendo Account so it can check whether or not the user in question actually can make the request or not. Everything else are unsafe assumptions Nintendo made at their own cost and are now paying for it.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, Nintendo should have made eShop content require a valid Nintendo Account so it can check whether or not the user in question actually can make the request or not. Everything else are unsafe assumptions Nintendo made at their own cost and are now paying for it.

Bandwidth expense for such checks is probably higher than the slower but still effective process of tls-cert bans.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bandwidth expense for such checks is probably higher than the slower but still effective process of tls-cert bans.
The mere thought that several people have the entire Switch CDN server saved somewhere is reason enough to implement such a check. I'd also like to bring up the fact that users were able to abuse CDN downloading for years on the 3DS with only proper security being now implemented. While Nintendo has certainly stepped up from those days, it is obviously not enough and speaks to Nintendo's incompetency.

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you play online with an XCI you will be banned, end of story.
No ones arguing that but me and many others have been playing online for months and have still not been banned for using xci files with injected certs. You can’t even connect with an nsp file.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mere thought that several people have the entire Switch CDN server saved somewhere is reason enough to implement such a check. I'd also like to bring up the fact that users were able to abuse CDN downloading for years on the 3DS with only proper security being now implemented. While Nintendo has certainly stepped up from those days, it is obviously not enough and speaks to Nintendo's incompetency.

The current design of their CDN is not abnormal for server design. Why would this be incompetence? The 3DS and how it handled things, sure that was idiocy.

zekeb13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone have the sx os 1.6 0r 1.7 file, ive been using online with cfw and (knock on wood) i haven't been banned yet. I updated to 1.8 and i cant go online with cfw...

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone have the sx os 1.6 0r 1.7 file, ive been using online with cfw and (knock on wood) i haven't been banned yet. I updated to 1.8 and i cant go online with cfw...
I still have the 1.6 file, I can upload it for you

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current design of their CDN is not abnormal for server design. Why would this be incompetence? The 3DS and how it handled things, sure that was idiocy.
The point I am trying to make is while they can now punish users for abusing their CDN downloading retroactively, arguably it would be better to prevent such abuse from happening in the first place. Whether that means delaying the Switch's release or taking down the servers for an extended amount of time, there is no reason that people should be able to download content they don't own.

Anyways, this is getting severely off-topic. This is all hypothetical and solutions that Nintendo may not ever implement until they release a new device.

BATMAN-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks guys for helping me answering my previous questions.

I do have one more however and I know that it might be slightly off-topic.
On a different forum I read that in combination with the SX-OS it is better to use FAT32 format on your SD-card rather than the newer ex-FAT because the latter one leads to 'data loss'.
Does this happen with homebrew only use or also with games not working as they should? I thought Nintendo fixed these faulty ex-FAT drivers with firmware 5.1.0 and everybody on this
firmware should be fine.

Waywatcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sh*t, I upgraded from 1.6 and now my Switch won't boot up. I have autoRCM installed but I'm sure my battery was at least 80%. I will definitely remove autoRCM once I fix this...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Normal sandwich bread is actually pretty good for sausage depends on length of course