temp

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Some great members of GBAtemp have left us this year, but it's just a cycle, people will always come and go.

There are some great people who should hopefully be coming back soon (temporary hiatus type things).
Others we may never see again. Bless them for their time here and look forward to the future.

I won't name any names, because it doesn't make a difference
A couple of people alone don't make GBAtemp what it is, it's every single decent member combined who forms the ethos and the spirit of this community.

As long as those decent people can hold the fort and keep it real, then i'll be here.

As long as theres fun here to be had, information to be found, interests to be nutured, then i'll be here.

I'll see you around here tomorrow.
goodnight all
grog.gif

disclaimer: excluding possibility of short/temporary leave due to study or other commitments. hahaha

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
but it's just a cycle, people will always come and go.
losing great members, gaining noobs

QUOTE said:
As long as theres fun here to be had, information to be found, interests to be nutured, then i'll be here.
fun here? That will be gone shortly. All the fun people are the ones that are leaving.
Information to be found? That will be gone soon, too. The forum is only getting populated by requests and questions, more than actual projects and answers.
Interests to be nutured? Well hell yeah I hope gbatemp will stay interesting,
as long as those 3 elements are in gbatemp, i'll stay here too. But that won't be long.

I'll see you around here tomorrow.
goodnight all
grog.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The OP is right, I've been here for 6 years and I find it unbelievable how many times people have been quick to assume that the "death" of this site is near once one or two members leave. It's quite funny especially coming from members who have barely been here for a year or so. Of couse that isn't to say that you don't have as much of a say as I would, but it's just a general observation that I've made.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The OP is right, I've been here for 6 years and I find it unbelievable how many times people have been quick to assume that the "death" of this site is near once one or two members leave. It's quite funny especially coming from members who have barely been here for a year or so. Of couse that isn't to say that you don't have as much of a say as I would, but it's just a general observation that I've made.
but from what I see, it's getting worse in such a fast rate.
I remember when I joined, when people like deufeufeu and FAST were great helpers and there were more serious threads, there weren't as much as requests and people calling each other idiots, and talking about fake R4 firmwares, or homebrew where the only thing that works is the credits.
It's like HaZeY * 100 now.

dice, you're a moderator, and you should roam around the forum oftenly.
You're the best moderator from my point of view, and you should be aware of all the stupid posts being made.
People spamming to purposely get themselves banned.
People that join just to post another request.
People that asks a question that has been answered about a hundred times.
It's worse than before, and I'm sure.

dice

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
psycoblaster said:
QUOTE said:
but from what I see, it's getting worse in such a fast rate.
I remember when I joined, when people like deufeufeu and FAST were great helpers and there were more serious threads, there weren't as much as requests and people calling each other idiots, and talking about fake R4 firmwares, or homebrew where the only thing that works is the credits.
It's like HaZeY * 100 now.

dice, you're a moderator, and you should roam around the forum oftenly.
You're the best moderator from my point of view, and you should be aware of all the stupid posts being made.
People spamming to purposely get themselves banned.
People that join just to post another request.
People that asks a question that has been answered about a hundred times.
It's worse than before, and I'm sure.

Thank you for the complement
biggrin.gif

I agree with you but it was always bound to happen. With more people come more issues to deal with.

It is worse than two years ago but even back then some were saying that it was worse when you joined than before that (get what I mean?).

What I'm saying is that the the constant doom and gloom messages do nothing to help improve things, in fact they probably make things worse. I mean... MESSAGE RECIEVED! we already know that such issues exist but there's no need for 30 threads about it (could possibly be due to an increased number of members). In the past members who were fed up expressed their concerns, left the site or got on with things. Staff are always trying to come up with possible solutions to these problems and I myself don't appreciate all the negative comments that are slapped upon staff in general as if we're not TRYING.

Now rather than me listing examples of how we're trying to solve these issues (be it currently or as planned) how about you mention some possible solutions and I'll try to respond to them. This is what usually would have occured in the past, stating a problem before suggesting a solution...

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well giving suggestions really wouldn't help. Because rules aren't read, and are ignored most of the times.
That means, even if you add more rules, you are only wasting time. Those 1 posting requesters can't be stopped.
There's no way to work around that, unless you listen to urza and agree in this "stop registration for x amount of time"
because after reading that thread one more time, I think his solution will be the last remaining method, and should be used to protect GBAtemp itself, more than it's number of user.
Ace has mentioned how GBAtemp lives because of the noobs and dead members, not mostly by us active members.
I was quite disappointed in that, and because of this, I think there's no way to stop noob spams.
And this kind of quotes and choices mods make only makes us rant at them, but then that's when Gai comes in. He says we should fuck off of gbatemp if we don't like the mods.
But the only way to like mods is to live with the newbs.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
phoood said:
gbatemp is more than the other discussions forum

Sadly, thats all there is for me lately.
I know that I can't talk by being on the forum for only 1 year but it has just gotten to the point that I don't get any enjoyment from being on the forum and just restrict myself to irc.
The statement "if you don't like it, you can always leave" is a bit harsh IMO. A forum is a place where people get together and voice their opinions and shouldnt have to leave because the decent discussion gets drowned out by all the less than intelligent newbies who can't even use google(or rather, don't want to). If the same thing gets repeated so many things, there might be some truth behind it...

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xcalibur said:
phoood said:
gbatemp is more than the other discussions forum

Sadly, thats all there is for me lately.
I know that I can't talk by being on the forum for only 1 year but it has just gotten to the point that I don't get any enjoyment from being on the forum and just restrict myself to irc.
The statement "if you don't like it, you can always leave" is a bit harsh IMO. A forum is a place where people get together and voice their opinions and shouldnt have to leave because the decent discussion gets drowned out by all the less than intelligent newbies who can't even use google(or rather, don't want to). If the same thing gets repeated so many things, there might be some truth behind it...
Agreed.

The best parts of GBAtemp has always been the offtopic discussions forum and Testing Area. Those have steadily decreased in quality over the past 2 years or so that I've been here, and I'm sure the rest of the forum has too bt I don't really check.

"The statement "if you don't like it, you can always leave" is a bit harsh IMO" Agree with this completely. As toni said in a thread, he doesn't see why someone would leave this forum where they've spent hours talking to the other members just because they have problems with some staff. It is really not a good idea to push the steadily active, intelligent members away in favor of the noobs that apparently keep this site alive.

Also, on the subject of voicing opinions , these either get drowned out by noobs like you said, or the thread gets locked for no real reason. Just because a discussion gets too "radically minded" or something, it gets locked (See: The Linkiboy and Orc memorial thread, zidane_genome's blog). Whenever someone doesn't like how the staff do thinks around here, instead of properly discussing it, the staff responds with one or two posts that say exactly what they always say and then lock the thread.

This is not the right way to do things.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mewgia said:
Raven Darkheart said:
it really doesnt help things when some mods are 16 year olds on a power trip. but thats just me

I believe JPH is 15.

Otherwise, you are correct.
it really makes me wonder about mods sometimes. just because they run a site doesnt mean that they could boost quantity over quality

dice

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
psycoblaster said:
Well giving suggestions really wouldn't help. Because rules aren't read, and are ignored most of the times.
That means, even if you add more rules, you are only wasting time. Those 1 posting requesters can't be stopped.
There's no way to work around that, unless you listen to urza and agree in this "stop registration for x amount of time"
because after reading that thread one more time, I think his solution will be the last remaining method, and should be used to protect GBAtemp itself, more than it's number of user.

From my personal viewpoint without the new members the site would rot at an even quicker rate. One question that comes to mind is how long "x amount of time" would be. I don't see a short term closure having any justified effect on the current situation, having it closed for a long period could lead to the "rot"... it'd become just like your average fansite of which there are many if you know what I mean.

The large majority of the regular posting members (95% plus hazarding a guess) originally joined gbatemp to gain information and not to make friends or have fun (this applies to all forums like this one). So to deny someone the opportunity to join the site may mean missing out on the next mthrnite, wildwon, shadowXP, urza, psyfira, narin, another world etc. even if it does mean having to deal with the rest of the "n00bs".

Another factor is that no one from the sites makes any sort of profit by managing the site, in fact at one point for a long time, some of the admins were actually paying alot of money to keep the site running. The only reason why this site is still running at its current capacity is due to our affiliates, so I seriously doubt that Urza's idea would work well with them (having said that I'm not 100% in the know as to how that deal has been made).

I will say that we're always on the lookout for new staff (I'll even go as far as to say that a few members have been approached and seem willing to join - although I ask that such members don't say anything until it's officially been done
tongue.gif
). This I see is the only other way of trying to minimise the number of repeat posts etc going on... as the number of members increase so would the number of staff in order to maintain some sort of order. As mentioned earlier there has also been some discussion on how the current warning system can be improved (as the rules have been done) but again these things take an unimaginable amount of time to sort out (I say this as I've never done so myself
tongue.gif
) so once again the patience thing has to be mentioned.

dice

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Raven Darkheart said:
Mewgia said:
Raven Darkheart said:
it really doesnt help things when some mods are 16 year olds on a power trip. but thats just me

I believe JPH is 15.

Otherwise, you are correct.
it really makes me wonder about mods sometimes. just because they run a site doesnt mean that they could boost quantity over quality

I don't see the relevance of your post
wacko.gif

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dice said:
psycoblaster said:

From my personal viewpoint without the new members the site would rot at an even quicker rate. One question that comes to mind is how long "x amount of time" would be. I don't see a short term closure having any justified effect on the current situation, having it closed for a long period could lead to the "rot"... it'd become just like your average fansite of which there are many if you know what I mean.

The large majority of the regular posting members (95% plus hazarding a guess) originally joined gbatemp to gain information and not to make friends or have fun (this applies to all forums like this one). So to deny someone the opportunity to join the site may mean missing out on the next mthrnite, wildwon, shadowXP, urza, psyfira, narin, another world etc. even if it does mean having to deal with the rest of the "n00bs".

Another factor is that no one from the sites makes any sort of profit by managing the site, in fact at one point for a long time, some of the admins were actually paying alot of money to keep the site running. The only reason why this site is still running at its current capacity is due to our affiliates, so I seriously doubt that Urza's idea would work well with them (having said that I'm not 100% in the know as to how that deal has been made).

I will say that we're always on the lookout for new staff (I'll even go as far as to say that a few members have been approached and seem willing to join - although I ask that such members don't say anything until it's officially been done
tongue.gif
). This I see is the only other way of trying to minimise the number of repeat posts etc going on... as the number of members increase so would the number of staff in order to maintain some sort of order. As mentioned earlier there has also been some discussion on how the current warning system can be improved (as the rules have been done) but again these things take an unimaginable amount of time to sort out (I say this as I've never done so myself
tongue.gif
) so once again the patience thing has to be mentioned.

dice youre one of my favorite mods here and its good to see a mod in here actually having a spirited discussion in here regarding a growing problem with this site. i agree with most of the ideas you have. its just that sometimes its some of the staff thats abusing their powers and making the intelligent forum posters leave one by one

hopefully the new additions will give the site a needed boost. though i was always in favor of old acct or 1 post acct shaving

ps: most times threads like this would be locked by staff that dont want to acknowledge theres a problem.
perhaps make a age requirement for staff?

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been here since mid 06. I liked it. I was a 12 year old, I though everyone was cool. thats because Everyone WAS cool. I admit, I really miss 06-07 when mthr and |M|artin and TPI/TSHU and WeaponxXx and others were active. mthr was the funniest oldest guy I know. (except for the old part)

Though, I'm not planning on leaving on any time soon. this forum is still kicking, whether it be as hard or harder... or a little p1ngp0ng kick. Forum is still fun. some members are just 1 post noobs, but some are oldies. both like GBAtemp so I don't think they're leaving. GBAtemp is gonna be here for a while, so buckle down.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There have been many causes for the problems here lately:
A) The fact Flash Cards are becoming so easy to obtain means every kid who sees one manages to get it, save his family a lot of money. And since we're the site we are, it attracts them here.

B) You're all going to hate me over this but it was members like Bonemonkey who you'd all cling on to and laugh at every moronic, stupid thing he's ever said or done. He was essentially a miniaturized cult here and it was pathetic seeing all the threads about him - more so when there were more BM posts than actual discussions.

C) I've made it perfectly clear I've never been a fan of the TA/EOF, and I'm still not. While I'm not saying that's directly the cause of the problems, a lot of users here just think they can get away with anything, push as many buttons as they want and nothing would happen, and when they do they start something. This is why I dislike the forum, not because of it's content - In the long run that forum does nothing but make the staff look bad. IMO anyway.

D) GBATemp is still a community driven site, and it's painful to see everyone going. There are members here I can get along with, some that are even EOF-attenders. It's not like I snap and go out of my way to kill everybody I meet. If someone is a jackass to me, I become a jackass back - because the polite "Cool it" doesn't work with them. Pretty much what my point is are the flaming, the trolling, the arguing - it's constant and nonstop pretty much. If everyone here were to just get along, have a nice discussion - make it a friendly debate or something more than a "you're ****ing stupid **** off" just because somebody doesn't like Pokemon, it'd become a much more enjoyable place.

Just my two cents.

dice

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Mewgia said:
The best parts of GBAtemp has always been the offtopic discussions forum and Testing Area. Those have steadily decreased in quality over the past 2 years or so that I've been here, and I'm sure the rest of the forum has too bt I don't really check.

In part due to some regular members, yes. I cannot agree anyone who says it's solely the n00bs.

Mewgia said:
"The statement "if you don't like it, you can always leave" is a bit harsh IMO" Agree with this completely. As toni said in a thread, he doesn't see why someone would leave this forum where they've spent hours talking to the other members just because they have problems with some staff. It is really not a good idea to push the steadily active, intelligent members away in favor of the noobs that apparently keep this site alive.

Also, on the subject of voicing opinions , these either get drowned out by noobs like you said, or the thread gets locked for no real reason. Just because a discussion gets too "radically minded" or something, it gets locked (See: The Linkiboy and Orc memorial thread, zidane_genome's blog). Whenever someone doesn't like how the staff do thinks around here, instead of properly discussing it, the staff responds with one or two posts that say exactly what they always say and then lock the thread.

This is not the right way to do things.

Regarding the thread made by zidane I disagree, this is the case with many of such threads that show up and I'll tell you why...

He chose to post this thread before deciding to get a second opinion from another staff member (In this case it ended up being myself).

(my reply to him once he did contact another staff member)

QUOTE said:
ok whether you're right or not on this issue doesn't mean you should act like a dick and create posts such as this:

QUOTE(zidane_genome @ Oct 16 2008, 04:02 PM)
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif
dick.gif

Go ahead... try to warn me for that... it's a supervisors avatar... if you warn me for posting that, they you better remove that avatar from the SUPERVISORS profile, AND warn him too!

(proof - djgarf - Supervisor with 2,883 posts, and member number 70

Now, as for JPH's, decision whilst you clearly do have a point about him being wrong, still it's hardly the most appropriate image to be viewed by some of our younger readers. The most likely reason for him warning you was as a result of a few reports being made by some members about your av in particular (I decided at that time that yours was okay as there wern't any other complaints about other av/sigs of a similar nature, plus there was no full on nudity). However it is possible that JPH did not see such reports and decided to act when a new one was submitted.*

So yes, I do agree that he was perhaps in the wrong (I'd need to talk it over with him) but you have to realise that small errors in judgement will be made by any staff member at one time, we're only human. Going on from that, I honestly dont understand where all the anger is coming from, considering that it's just an AV that's been removed and not also a warning raise or suspension. AFAIK this only happened a few hours ago so please be patient in recieving a response from staff.

I then proceeded to start a discussion that most staff used some of their own free time to respond in and it was decided that such content should be allowed (especially as this wasn't the first occasion that topic had been brought up - SEE WE DO LISTEN!). Zidane was warned originally for the ava that was made about jph and had his suspension quickly reversed (that was set because of the first thread) as a result of staff deciding that he was correct to some extent with us not removing everyone else's ava's. AFTER being told of this he then proceed to start his second thread ON THE SAME SUBJECT.

(* proven to have been the case after tinymonkeyt's post in the second thread made)

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
OK, I just read the whole topic, and all those walls of text, and considering that I already wrote something that is actually connected to this, I'll quote myself here, and I'll try to give my opinion as well..

QUOTE said:
Let me state my opinion...I liked Linkiboy, I even more liked Orc......more than those two, I actually like you....
Now, if all of you, can leave this place, and leave your friends behind, people you socialized and talked to, spent many hours of your lives, and shared great moments......if you can leave after all that, that talks more about you than all of the staff here..
You can leave, that's your own choice, but you know you're leaving very unpleasant picture about your opinion on all us!!

I will feel more sorry for Westside, WildWon, gizmo_gal, distorted.frequency, mthrnite or any other member who is absent due to their real life obligations, and don' have free time to come here, but would love that......than BoneMonkey who was pain in the ass, funny and entertaining, but in the end, pain in the ass (especially for staff) who managed to get his warning to 100% (it's actually very hard to do that, if you act normally), or Linkiboy and Orc, who decided to leave everything behind just because they have problems with few staff members..
Remember, after all, this is THE GAMING forum, not EOF forum, not drama forum, but GAMING forum.....and if they can leave bunch of friends over two "lousy" mods, let them go..........I will say same for you, I like you, and last few weeks we had great times, and posts....You really made me laugh and kept me entertained, but if you want to leave....I won't keep you, I'll miss you, but it won't be the same, because you wasn't forced to leave, but it was your own choice!!

I'm sorry to hear that some of you can do stuff like this, just go, and never turn back, over a fight with mod.....

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that members who leave are actually, in a way, insulting other regular members, because "leaving" is an act of despise and dispute, and in the end, it turns out that their hate towards few mods and bunch of n00bs is greater than love towards other members and friends from this site..

I, myself, would never leave over something meaningless as that, if there are still members who I like, if there is still info and stuff to be learned and if there are cool people in need of help and I can provide it....

I fully understand members who leave, and I understand their ways (in my opinion, they are wrong), but I also understand mods and staff, and stuff they have to do to keep this tidy, comfortable place to come to..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies