• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

texas freezes over

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,333
  • Replies 61
  • Likes 5

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... that’s what happens when Dems controls the government hell freezes over ( not saying TX is hell.... or am I?)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
From 2011:
The Texas electric grid operator is facing questions on a range of fronts, including its policy of not disclosing information about the power grid's day-to-day operations and its inability to ensure adequate weatherization of power plants.

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/15/texas-grid-operator-faces-questions-over-blackouts/

Yet another issue likely to come up at today's hearing is that ERCOT is unable to compel companies to weatherize their plants properly, despite the agency's responsibilities in managing the grid reliably. The Public Utility Commission does collect weatherizaton plans from power generators, but all are marked "confidential. Even ERCOT doesn't "have visibility into weatheriziation plans and procedures for the plants," said Doggett, the ERCOT chief, at the board meeting yesterday. He added that ERCOT might look at getting an "attestation" from power plant managers that their facility is ready.

The Public Utility Commission appears to do little with the weatherization plans. A spot-check of the commission's responses to several weatherization filings reveals an often pro-forma checklist saying that the filings have the required items — such as a summary of weatherization procedures, a description of alternative fuel supplies and a hurricane plan.

In 2008, for example, in a half-page note to Luminant, a PUC official wrote, "PUC staff has reviewed your filed summary and has found that it sufficiently addresses items 1) through 5) listed above." Three years later, four of Luminant's large coal-plant units (some newer than 2008) failed during the freeze.

Last edited by notimp,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why we making this political, I'm living through this crap down here in Texas. It sucks not having water and getting hit by rolling blackouts
Now Imagine.. that with no food, electricity, water, houses with no roof and internet/cell service for 3-6 months... that is what Puerto Rico dealt with in 2017 with hurricane Maria... .oh and they waited 3 years to get the FEMA MONEY.. Edit :2017

Last edited by djpannda,
Reactions: IncredulousP

TheJeweler

Connoisseur of the Fistic Arts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now Imagine.. that with no food, electricity, water, houses with no roof and internet/cell service for 3-6 months... that is what Puerto Rico dealt with in 2007 with hurricane Maria... .oh and they waited 3 years to get the FEMA MONEY..

TheJeweler

Connoisseur of the Fistic Arts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... corrected .. statement still stands ..Tx will be alright by the End of the week ...but there still areas in Puerto Rico that loses power when more then 2 people sneeze at the same time
I'm not disagreeing, that was definitely a political issue. Our freeze however is just a case of crap luck

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
c3dd7ed0e18e43344bfa0954b374923b.jpg

You guys only got a little snow too, here in Ohio where I am, we've got 13 inches in 2 days:cry:

Last edited by BigOnYa,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not disagreeing, that was definitely a political issue. Our freeze however is just a case of crap luck
...no it was a case of global warming (not the Literal notion that the earth is warming.. but the meaning that the destruction of the ozone layer is forcing the earth weather pattern to be altered)

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm here. Not sure while y'all have to make it political. People are miserable
unfortunately it is inherently political due to the polices that are related to this event. This wouldn't have happened, or likely wouldn't have if Trump left the Paris accord. since essentially, he accelerated the chances of this happening. If he stayed, it either would of delayed it, or not happened at all, or wouldn't be as extreme.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do hope that you are okay though, and that your staying warm if you can.

D

Deleted User

OP
Because trump signing a piece of paper somehow makes natural disasters not happen.
wow... that's a really, REALLY MASSIVE generalization
Yeah, me signing a paper that all dog owners can't own dogs in a position of power,is just a piece of paper that didn't cause the dog owners to loose their dogs.
It's just a piece of paper 4head.

I guess the constitutions is just a piece of paper, or that laws are just a piece of paper
they have no significance, no impact on anything.

executive orders? just a piece of paper

the list can go on and on, but generalizing it to that point, I'm sorry to say, makes you look really stupid.

It clearly does have a connection. Paris accord was to help with climate change. climate change if it gets worse, (which it still continues to) creates more natural disasters. Signing a paper to get out of that, (Paris accord) and proceeding to make policies that would go against it, or letting regulation go (which did) is going to help create more natural disasters. Which is exactly what happened. that is simple cause and effect. if trump stayed, it may of not happened, or if it did, perhaps more of a cold snap than a complete freeze with snow. In other words, if he had stayed, it would of either delayed it and/or lessened it.

Last edited by ,

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow... that's a really, REALLY MASSIVE generalization
Yeah, me signing a paper that all dog owners can't own dogs in a position of power,is just a piece of paper that didn't cause the dog owners to loose their dogs.
It's just a piece of paper 4head.

I guess the constitutions is just a piece of paper, or that laws are just a piece of paper
they have no significance, no impact on anything.

executive orders? just a piece of paper

the list can go on and on, but generalizing it to that point, I'm sorry to say, makes you look really stupid.

It clearly does have a connection. Paris accord was to help with climate change. climate change if it gets worse, (which it still continues to) creates more natural disasters. Signing a paper to get out of that, (Paris accord) and proceeding to make policies that would go against it, or letting regulation go (which did) is going to help create more natural disasters. Which is exactly what happened. that is simple cause and effect. if trump stayed, it may of not happened, or if it did, perhaps more of a cold snap than a complete freeze with snow.

You should go ahead and blame your parents and grand parents long before blaming Trump for not signing a paper. Blame him in 20 years or so. The damage right now was caused by actions of people in the past 75-100 years. Not in the past 5 years.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump backing out of the WHO did not stop Covid from spreading futher...is that his fault too.
Trump backed out of the Iran deal...didn't stop Iran from continuing to work on they're nuclear weapons....is that his fault too..
I don't understand your logic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, i think its difficult to pinpoint but probably the first two