Gaming The BIG TF2 Thread

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna get into TF2 but I have no idea how to play it. Anyone wanna give me a primer?
I know it's a deathmatch FPS (and now CO-OP) but I don't really know how to play it.
It's not really a deathmatch FPS, the majority of servers have some sort of goal, making it not pure slaughter.
A great explanation, especially the classes section, is located here.

For beginners, I really recommend the Soldier (always a good option, every player in TF2 has a liking for them :)), Medic (easy points due to staying back and healing everyone) and maybe Pyro. Those are easier classes.
The co-op aspect is in Man versus Machine, basically a completely unique mode of the game. I recommend the standard version, with goals like capturing the intel, checkpoints (like Unreal tournament, onslaught mode) and payload (my favourite, one team has to push a cart, other team has to stop it). Really really fun game.
what about the core gameplay? like how should i play? just run around, or use cover, or stick with people, or bunny hop, or what?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I wanna get into TF2 but I have no idea how to play it. Anyone wanna give me a primer?
I know it's a deathmatch FPS (and now CO-OP) but I don't really know how to play it.
It's not really a deathmatch FPS, the majority of servers have some sort of goal, making it not pure slaughter.

For beginners, I really recommend the Soldier (always a good option, every player in TF2 has a liking for them :)), Medic (easy points due to staying back and healing everyone) and maybe Pyro. Those are easier classes.
The co-op aspect is in Man versus Machine, basically a completely unique mode of the game. I recommend the standard version, with goals like capturing the intel, checkpoints (like Unreal tournament, onslaught mode) and payload (my favourite, one team has to push a cart, other team has to stop it). Really really fun game.
what about the core gameplay? like how should i play? just run around, or use cover, or stick with people, or bunny hop, or what?
Just run around, barely use cover. Try to stick around people when capping points/payloadcart of course. With classes like medic you have to stick with other people else you don't have much use.
There's a lot of teamwork in TF2, much more than in CoD or a lot of other shooters. In the majority of game types there's going to be a point where the enemy team has 1 or more sentries (come from engineers, structures that deal a lot of damage, turrets) on point B for example, and your team has to capture point B.
If you don't work together in that situation, you're going to lose. You need at least 2 classes, preferable more because really, each class can really damage sentries, to get beyond that point. Medic + heavy is almost a must, but a Pyro covering your asses from the inevitable spy is really handy too.
Just an example how much teamwork is involved in TF2, really cool stuff IMHO.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

Really depends on your class. For example, if you're a medic you're going to want to stick close to the majority of team members and focus more on healing than shooting. Or if you're a sniper you're going to be further back, away from the front line. Or if you're a heavy you'll want to be right up the front, preferably with a medic, terrorising the opposing team. etc.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just run around, barely use cover. Try to stick around people when capping points/payloadcart of course. With classes like medic you have to stick with other people else you don't have much use.
There's a lot of teamwork in TF2, much more than in CoD or a lot of other shooters. In the majority of game types there's going to be a point where the enemy team has 1 or more sentries (come from engineers, structures that deal a lot of damage, turrets) on point B for example, and your team has to capture point B.
If you don't work together in that situation, you're going to lose. You need at least 2 classes, preferable more because really, each class can really damage sentries, to get beyond that point. Medic + heavy is almost a must, but a Pyro covering your asses from the inevitable spy is really handy too.
so what could it be compared to? like battlefield-style matches (for ctf anyway)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
so what could it be compared to? like battlefield-style matches (for ctf anyway)
I'm not a BF regular, can't comment on that. Compared to UT 2004 CTF it's quite similar, hectic sometimes, A LOT of skill involved, but a bit more teamwork. Unlike most games you can really build defenses here by sentries, even in CTF, so it's maybe slower sometimes to cap the flag, since you can't just walk into it.
By slower I mean the game will be longer, not the actual gameplay. That's pretty fast.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not even close, in Battlefield all classes can be combat classes should you want to and they'd do fairly good at it. In TF2 some of the classes are inherently weaker and can not stand up towards some of their counters while they excel against some other classes.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not even close, in Battlefield all classes can be combat classes should you want to and they'd do fairly good at it. In TF2 some of the classes are inherently weaker and can not stand up towards some of their counters while they excel against some other classes.
okay say I wanna use a soldier (rocket launcher guy, right?), how should i play? just run around killing people? try to stay near the objective(s)?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
okay say I wanna use a soldier (rocket launcher guy, right?), how should i play? just run around killing people? try to stay near the objective(s)?
There isn't really a specific way to play any of the classes, so personally I'd say you should try to play the soldier and see what works for you. I will however note that it might be worth being cautious when shooting rockets at pyros since the better ones are often able to airblast the rockets you shoot right back at you if you do not watch out.

Trying to avoid an airblast usually involves adding a small delay when shooting so they they airblast in the wrong moment, well either that or use the shotgun :)

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm tempted to buy a B.M.O.C now for 1 buds (=27 kyes), seeing they will keep rising until Christmas? I should be able to make at least 10 keys profit on it I think.
Good idea or stupid?
If you want it to wear and keep, it's not a terrible idea. If you're trading it for profit later, you need to keep in mind that the price is only rising because traders want it to and keep throwing out the line "Xmas is coming, everyone will want a BMOC! Price will be 1.5 buds!" which is a completely speculatory number and being used to inflate the price. You can only pump it up so much until the bubble pops, and people get sick of others asking pointlessly increasing amounts for it and just avoid it altogether, causing the value to crash and people start selling for less, then others hurry to undercut THEM to move their overstock and prevent losses. If you're gonna resell, please be careful about it. Good Luck!

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm tempted to buy a B.M.O.C now for 1 buds (=27 kyes), seeing they will keep rising until Christmas? I should be able to make at least 10 keys profit on it I think.
Good idea or stupid?
If you want it to wear and keep, it's not a terrible idea. If you're trading it for profit later, you need to keep in mind that the price is only rising because traders want it to and keep throwing out the line "Xmas is coming, everyone will want a BMOC! Price will be 1.5 buds!" which is a completely speculatory number and being used to inflate the price. You can only pump it up so much until the bubble pops, and people get sick of others asking pointlessly increasing amounts for it and just avoid it altogether, causing the value to crash and people start selling for less, then others hurry to undercut THEM to move their overstock and prevent losses. If you're gonna resell, please be careful about it. Good Luck!
I did it for 1 buds. We'll see how it turns out :)
I know a bit of supply and demand, and also, I can take the loss if it happens.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Scream Fortress 2
365px-Second_Annu-hell_Screm_Fortress.png

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/October_27,_2010_Patch

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are way too many trolls now though, glad I got people where 90% of the server didnt beat him yet
I see a pattern once people beat him and get the hat they just go around killing other players during the next boss spawn

I finally managed to get the unusual scrap metal :P
first time I join a hhh server this halloween and the first melee hit happens to kills him
tried so many times last year with nothing but failure

I also finally sold my nuts hwnn for 1 bud + bills (zeps greed)
I bought it for 1 bud + 1 key in sweets so not bad considering the hat is worth 1 bud flat now
been trying to sell it for months now, tons of low ball offers that are barely a bills in value and mega cancer unusuals (nuts mongolian, nuts rack, flies football, fetti heavy hair, ect...) offers
so glad someone finally bought it

stocked up on 4 white paints for 1 key each (already used one) so will wait till they go back up and resell for 3 keys each

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
there are way too many trolls now though, glad I got people where 90% of the server didnt beat him yet
I see a pattern once people beat him and get the hat they just go around killing other players during the next boss spawn

I finally managed to get the unusual scrap metal :P
first time I join a hhh server this halloween and the first melee hit happens to kills him
tried so many times last year with nothing but failure

I also finally sold my nuts hwnn for 1 bud + bills (zeps greed)
I bought it for 1 bud + 1 key in sweets so not bad considering the hat is worth 1 bud flat now
been trying to sell it for months now, tons of low ball offers that are barely a bills in value and mega cancer unusuals (nuts mongolian, nuts rack, flies football, fetti heavy hair, ect...) offers
so glad someone finally bought it

stocked up on 4 white paints for 1 key each (already used one) so will wait till they go back up and resell for 3 keys each
Nice! Congratz on the unusual sale, I feel your pain :( It just takes so damn long sometimes.

Also, do you have any site that keeps track of prices/pricetrends? Things like that white paint thingy are a good investment and I would jump on them too, but I just don't know about them!

What do you mean by the bold part? Do you get something when you beat Merasmus or so? I haven't done that either to be honest!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I consult the spreadsheet first, then this site http://backpack.tf/pricelist
then I looks on outpost to sell what people are asking and take a general average

for unusuals I use this
http://www.tf2pricecheck.net/Forum-Unusual-Archive

you get a hat if you beat him, only problem is both teams must work together because he is way harder then previous boss's
if you have 1 person screwing around, good chance you will not beat him unlike previous where half the server can kill the other team and still manage to kill the boss

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I consult the spreadsheet first, then this site http://backpack.tf/pricelist
then I looks on outpost to sell what people are asking and take a general average

for unusuals I use this
http://www.tf2pricecheck.net/Forum-Unusual-Archive

you get a hat if you beat him, only problem is both teams must work together because he is way harder then previous boss's
if you have 1 person screwing around, good chance you will not beat him unlike previous where half the server can kill the other team and still manage to kill the boss
I know those sites, I frequent them too. Problem is they don't keep trands/graphs of item prices. That's what I'm looking for, so I can easily know if an item is cheaper than it was 3 months ago.

Buds are dropping again btw, they were 28 keys 2 weeks ago, now at 25 keys.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bmoc went down a bit but still selling around 24 keys

trying to sell my extra one + a bud for a non-dupe maxs

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I sold my BMOC's just in time to not make a loss. I kind of went break-even on them, so happy with that.

Done some great deals the past week, like yesterday sold a Lvl 1 Max head for 52 keys, while I bought it for 44 keys 2 weeks ago. Quick profit, just the way I like it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT