The company behind Denuvo launches its "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection", claims to "solve" Switch piracy

1661351599_Nintendo-Switch-Denuvo-arrives-announced-an-anti-emulation-protection-system.jpg

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

Dash_2

Hello I'm Dash!
Trophies
Website
www.gofundme.com
XP
Country
Not even just being a bootlicker... Just straight up ignorance...
Damn people really are butt hurt over this. To each their own, pirates will pirate. That’s our nature, I pirate a lot of shit. In that same breathe I also pay for a lot of stuff legit. People work like I do to make their money. Just cause y’all don’t see eye to eye, doesn’t mean y’all need to be talking like this to each other. Especially, over some Nintendo BS.

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States

Sucks to be a legal user, I guess.

Presuming ninty has any games coming out with this crap said legal users care about in the first place.
It's regardless of legal use or not, code injection slows framerate.
Generally clean code literally = efficiency.
Add in a single random occurring game tick that checks CPU use, and the CPU is diverted for a fraction of time away from the game causing a slower game no matter how you look at it. Diverting resources away from the game makes it run slower period always period end of story period (there's a billion videos out there on this).

It hurts the end consumer, and I hope that the anti-consumer mindset starts to fail out the market.
The takeaway from this message is overall I don't support piracy, but PLEASE DONT support the developers implementing the middle finger to the consumer.

I understand piracy well enough to know that Denuvo doesn't work anyway, we proved that when someone released a zero day Denuvo exploit for NFS Heat for PC prior to the games initial release through multiple torrents, and look where that got us... (Denuvo got wind of this, and improved their DRM locking and now are partnered with Nintendo thanks to the press over it) I don't know how it was leaked but it was leaked with the full Denuvo bypass in plaintext view, and caused a huge amount of uproar. This still worries the average consumer that they may start to not just see the decline in overall gaming experience that they're seeing now, but also now an expectation of random lag and a host of other issues.

I advise doing things the legal way, despite having posted translated rom files in the past, and current ports. I understand the need for the developer to have some small layer of protection, but I also believe you own what you buy outright, even if there is some hidden lawyer agreement some arbitrary place and somehow some weird copyright laws blah blah blah

Denuvo ruins the end product.
Don't support the implementation of it with your wallet
Problem solved!

Now with that said in any Denuvo equipped game I support FULL piracy of said game for the removal of Denuvo ON JUST THAT REASON ALONE. Then you can start talking about adding on Lan capability via text editing, and repacking the iso with a smaller sized compression, and you have a backup of your original game running at a faster framerate with localhost as the multiplayer connection instead of sony/xbox/nintendo servers and BAM you can play LAN with your PC emulators using the same repacked iso and they will connect through your router, and you can't do all that with Denuvo, cause good luck even attempting to get into the game files.

Bad for consumers, Bad image for Nintendo, Bad for homebrew community, A simple ""whatever"" to pirates that already understand how to bypass encryption, and longer game archival time in the future cause of this garbage. Eventually though someone will break it, they always do, and there's always a redump.

Last edited by Mortjsf,
Reactions: Ace001

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not an opinion to say that by interpreting lines of code, that hardware is being engaged. The only thing that can be done is to hide the obviousness of that fact.
It's an opinion to say that a product that hasn't been released yet, will work in a way that you think it will.

U sure about that???? I considering that 5 FPS would be fun in minecraft

Sure about what?

Now with that said in any Denuvo equipped game I support FULL piracy of said game for the removal of Denuvo ON JUST THAT REASON ALONE.

I doubt they really care what you support, however for your own well being then you should look into why someone doing something they want invokes such a strong feeling that you want to destroy them.

Damn people really are butt hurt over this.

Yeah & what is weird is that my points were purely legal. I wasn't telling anyone what to do, just discussing what the legal situation is. How low does someones self esteem have to be to be triggered by that?

Last edited by smf,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Add in a single random occurring game tick that checks CPU use, and the CPU is diverted for a fraction of time away from the game causing a slower game no matter how you look at it. Diverting resources away from the game makes it run slower period always period end of story period (there's a billion videos out there on this).

It hurts the end consumer, and I hope that the anti-consumer mindset starts to fail out the market.
The takeaway from this message is overall I don't support piracy, but PLEASE DONT support the developers implementing the middle finger to the consumer.

I understand piracy well enough to know that Denuvo doesn't work anyway, we proved that when someone released a zero day Denuvo exploit for NFS Heat for PC prior to the games initial release through multiple torrents, and look where that got us... (Denuvo got wind of this, and improved their DRM locking and now are partnered with Nintendo thanks to the press over it) I don't know how it was leaked but it was leaked with the full Denuvo bypass in plaintext view, and caused a huge amount of uproar. This still worries the average consumer that they may start to not just see the decline in overall gaming experience that they're seeing now, but also now an expectation of random lag and a host of other issues.

I advise doing things the legal way, despite having posted translated rom files in the past, and current ports. I understand the need for the developer to have some small layer of protection, but I also believe you own what you buy outright, even if there is some hidden lawyer agreement some arbitrary place and somehow some weird copyright laws blah blah blah

Problem solved!

Now with that said in any Denuvo equipped game I support FULL piracy of said game for the removal of Denuvo ON JUST THAT REASON ALONE. Then you can start talking about adding on Lan capability via text editing, and repacking the iso with a smaller sized compression, and you have a backup of your OG game running at a faster framerate with localhost as the multiplayer connection instead of sony/xbox/nintendo servers and BAM you can play LAN with your PC emulators using the same repacked iso and they will connect through your router, and you cant do all that with Denuvo, cause good luck even attempting to get into the game files.

Bad for consumers, Bad image for Nintendo, Bad for homebrew community, A simple ""whatever"" to pirates that already understand how to bypass encryption, and longer game archival time in the future cause of this garbage.

It's like paying to go to the theater and sitting through an infomercial on how piracy is bad, or watching a DVD/Blu-ray and not being able to skip the infomercial. Bootleggers and pirates will just clip those parts out. With games, it's even worse, as it's beyond just a commercial sitting in the front. It's a ever-present daemon running in the background, taxing the production throughout. It's making people who pay for the product suffer at the off-chance that they may hinder someone who won't.

It's an opinion to say that a product that hasn't been released yet, will work in a way that you think it will.

You already lost this argument.

"They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated."

You seem to suggest that this "new" DRM mechanism can operate without software or code,

I doubt they really care what you support,

Now the argument is that you doubt if they care about piracy.

Stupid mf.

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
I doubt they really care what you support, however for your own well being then you should look into why someone doing something they want invokes such a strong feeling that you want to destroy them.
It's irritating as a consumer that any company at all would invoke anti-consumer practices.

"you should look into why someone doing something they want invokes such a strong feeling that you want to destroy them"

I never said anything about destroying anything, I fully support the removal and defunding of Denuvo, doesn't mean I want to destroy anything, someone else will dismantle and destroy it to preserve framerate and properly archive the releases. I'm just offering insight as to why its not cared for. It's a legitimate concern that it could impact game performance

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never said anything about destroying anything, I fully support the removal and defunding of Denuvo, doesn't mean I want to destroy anything, someone else will dismantle and destroy it to preserve framerate and properly archive the releases. I'm just offering insight as to why its not cared for. It's a legitimate concern that it could impact game performance
You said you wanted to defund the publishers who use denuvo, people don't pirate denuvo they pirate the games that use it. If anything by pirating denuvo games, it will only encourage them to create more intensive versions of denuvo.

I understand the desire to preserve games, but there is no entitlement to do so.

You're still speculating that it will have an effect on frame rate. I think everyone is fully aware that if the games end up running at 1fps then it would be bad.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Problem solved!

Now with that said in any Denuvo equipped game I support FULL piracy of said game for the removal of Denuvo ON JUST THAT REASON ALONE. Then you can start talking about adding on Lan capability via text editing, and repacking the iso with a smaller sized compression, and you have a backup of your original game running at a faster framerate with localhost as the multiplayer connection instead of sony/xbox/nintendo servers and BAM you can play LAN with your PC emulators using the same repacked iso and they will connect through your router, and you can't do all that with Denuvo, cause good luck even attempting to get into the game files.

Bad for consumers, Bad image for Nintendo, Bad for homebrew community, A simple ""whatever"" to pirates that already understand how to bypass encryption, and longer game archival time in the future cause of this garbage. Eventually though someone will break it, they always do, and there's always a redump.
Okay... Thanks for the mansplaining, i guess. I already knew everything you said and agree to it, but ey... Feel free to vent a bit more if that makes you happy.

Reactions: Mortjsf

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
You said you wanted to defund the publishers who use denuvo, people don't pirate denuvo they pirate the games that use it. If anything by pirating denuvo games, it will only encourage them to create more intensive versions of denuvo.
That's why you only pirate Denuvo titles, and fund indie title development. Triple A gaming and large studios are dead, and I wont take this statement back. It's a direct middle finger back to the developer teams that screwed the consumer, and yes I have personally stopped funding publishers that run anti-consumer practices. They cant force take my money.
I understand the desire to preserve games, but there is no entitlement to do so.
False Sir, Internet Archive was granted an exception to DMCA ruling on this. Literal Entitlement To Do So. Game Archival is Necessary for a Free and Open Internet. I want generations to come to be able to experience everything available at the press of a power button. Archival is necessary for the same reason library's are necessary. The bible has alot to do with explaining this, maybe you should take a read
You're still speculating that it will have an effect on frame rate. I think everyone is fully aware that if the games end up running at 1fps then it would be bad.
This isn't a speculation, you didn't read my post. HUNDREDS UPON THOUSANDS of videos released about this, so many so that even Linus Tech Tips has a video on it. This is a widely known piece of gaming community knowledge. Framerates will be impacted, the switch is a tablet with honestly poor hardware architecture, the syscalls will tax the system unnecessarily. Add in too many game assets at one time you can pretty much guarantee frame loss, or stuttering, or worse. Then the developers will be stuck with the task of having to implement more game updates to fix bugs that arise from the implementation of the Denuvo software itself, instead of debugging the game itself. Add it all together, and do the math and it makes things more or less inefficient for both parties.

Okay... Thanks for the mansplaining, i guess. I already knew everything you said and agree to it, but ey... Feel free to vent a bit more if that makes you happy.
You are welcome :)
Venting always does a bit of good.
First Amendment, and Free Knowledge are a bit more like it though <3

Last edited by Mortjsf,

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
The response to you read as if you said it sucks for illegal users.
Well it does, but it sucks for the end consumer mostly...
It also sucks for those that are in the process of archival for legal reasons (I.e. Internet Archive)
It also sucks for Nintendo's future development

It also sucks for future console news, as it sets a trend in the space that is unnecessary since we all know people will get their hands on whatever they want to regardless of laws.

I believe in ownership of a purchase, maybe it doesn't work the same where others are from, but I don't believe in "Renting the game via a license to merely play it" I believe you should own the software entirely, even if it means purchasing the updates separately (hopefully game fixes and bug patches are free)

Another thing to account for is that version 1.0 of a game has to be playable upon release from start to finish otherwise it cant be legally published, so the ownership of a title should apply when you decide to dump your own content to your own hardware, and since Denuvo gets in the way of backing up your owned titles it is 1000% undeniably anti consumer.

Last edited by Mortjsf,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I agree that the move is kind of a dystopian direction for the world of gaming, but we have blockheads who can't comprehend the basic fact of code taxing hardware, let alone the existential implications.

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
-snip-
Can you post me links to a comparison of a switch game protected with denuvo and the same game after denuvo has been removed?

Thanks
Not implemented into a current switch title as of yet. If I had a release of a Denuvo free vs a Denuvo'd switch game I would run a side-by-side, and there would be clear indications of differences based off of solely Denuvo.

Here or Here or Here or Here or Here

Again thousands of videos will continue to drop over this.
War? You are comparing Denuvo addition to war which is wrong...
If you want to go that direction with it, I can point out that any company is far more funded for war then the consumer.
I can also point to anti consumer practices causing legislation shift.
What more proof would you need then watching any video released by the man Louis Rossman himself.
Pick a video, he has a billion on anti-consumer practices, and even more regarding the sham united states real estate market.

:teach: Don't do that unless you are ready to eat those words.

Just don't fund it, its not about destroying anything its about sending a message that Denuvo is not welcome.
I along with many others feel this way.
I also don't have to keep up with the fact you disagree over owning your purchases.
I will purely continue my own archival at the expense of big media and these triple a studios since they violently under deliver every single game.
The game studios fail to deliver a solid product, make it solid, improve on it, make it better, remove bloatware I'm all for implementing these fixes and other patches yourself if you own the game.

Now on the other hand, should poor people not play videogames until they cant afford them?

I would beg to differ that sometimes opening the market, and the titles on it leads to ethical piracy.
When I say "ethical piracy" I am talking about Project M, Translation Edits, Rom Hacks, and the like that you wouldn't otherwise have access to if the market had Denuvo protection implemented all over it back in the day.
Every single release on this site and others would have taken far more time to come out, and the same games you play now would have had massive performance deficits compared to most of the working Archival dumps that exist at the moment.

-snip-

Last edited by Minox,
  • Haha
Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I would beg to differ that sometimes opening the market, and the titles on it leads to ethical piracy.
When I say "ethical piracy" I am talking about Project M, Translation Edits, Rom Hacks, and the like that you wouldn't otherwise have access to if the market had Denuvo protection implemented all over it back in the day.
Every single release on this site and others would have taken far more time to come out, and the same games you play now would have had massive performance deficits compared to most of the working Archival dumps that exist at the moment.
Rom hacks and Translation patches are not Piracy, nor is homebrew. Distributing original game files is Piracy, simple as that. Don't be one of those people who says any modding is Piracy.

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
Rom hacks and Translation patches are not Piracy, nor is homebrew. Distributing original game files is Piracy, simple as that. Don't be one of those people who says any modding is Piracy.
I'm saying that's what @smf implied.
If we want to go by his logic I would use that language.

I understand that its free use protected activity and isn't piracy as long as its a personally owned file, and not a downloaded one, but allowing the original brawl files to be turned into the project m iso then redistributing that iso is piracy. Same if you remove Denuvo then release the DRM free iso, however internet archive is still granted exceptions for this under the law.

Those are specific examples, but no. All of that activity is different then pure piracy for the sake of it.

Last edited by Mortjsf,

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm saying that's what @smf implied.
If we want to go by his logic I would use that language.

I understand that its free use protected activity and isn't piracy as long as its a personally owned file, and not a downloaded one, but allowing the original brawl files to be turned into the project m iso then redistributing that iso is piracy. Same if you remove Denuvo then release the DRM free iso, however internet archive is still granted exceptions for this under the law.

Those are specific examples, but no. All of that activity is different then pure piracy for the sake of it.
Unless I'm remembering wrong but didn't Project M have some very strict Disc requirement DRM on the count of the creators not wanting people to Pirate it?

Mortjsf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm remembering wrong but didn't Project M have some very strict Disc requirement DRM on the count of the creators not wanting people to Pirate it?
Yes, the game uses the disc license to verify the mod. This was and I think still is standard practice on the Wii, but the entire game and mod was redumped a few different times into corresponding isos for both the wii and wii u injection tool, you would just have to go searching for the files.

If the full project iso was dumped with Brawl's iso included the entire file was indeed piracy if the copy of it online contained the entire SSBB.iso file with the mods already pre installed.

I have found a few of these that have crept up on Internet Archive, and since they were published somewhere I believe another IA user probably backed up their corresponding pages.
I don't feel like linking them here but I will list the ones I know about.
The projects themselves are not piracy unless they are repacked with a full copy of brawl.

Project M 3.6.iso
PMEX Remix.iso
Project +.iso
Project SSBB Universe.iso

All four are full versions of recompiled Brawl, with modifications to characters and are technically piracy.

This is why certain SSBB mod sites originally got shut down, they were spreading pre-installed brawl isos. The reason some people wanted isos pre-patched were for ease of use to import them as injectables, however its become exceedingly harder to find the correct files since alot of the projects have abandoned the games Wii/Wii U editions in favor of switch, so most people compile their own isos now with brawl builder and use usbloadergx.

Oh, FUCK DENUVO. If that stupid "DRM" makes its way to Xbox, I'm never touching my Xbox again.

Well spoken... Fingers crossed we never see this...

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imagine sales taking a nosedive off a cliff if/when this is implimented i just hope Pokemon SV isn't affected any other game they churn out with this attached i would be so mortified i wouldn't even pirate it let alone buy it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...