Hacking The Definitive Guide to Wii U Hacking

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the project open-source so others can build on it if they do "care enough"?
There is no "project" for a backup loader yet, let alone an open-source one. But the source files to the kernel exploit are available to make use of in any way you see fit.

With some difficulty, it should theoretically be achievable that way.
USB functions can only be used through IOSU though, correct? So a backup loader with only kernel access would be limited to... SD? I think waiting for an IOSU exploit would be much more convenient.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no "project" for a backup loader yet, let alone an open-source one. But the source files to the kernel exploit are available to make use of in any way you see fit.

USB functions can only be used through IOSU though, correct? So a backup loader with only kernel access would be limited to... SD? I think waiting for an IOSU exploit would be much more convenient.

Yes, I never said it was easy and I never said that it would work with USB, just that it could be done. :P

Reactions: fiveighteen

ViolentRockstar

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey, i could use some help.
I'm currently on 5.0.0 E and am fairly new to the wii U modding scene. I already have Homebrew on my VWii and would like my WiiUMenu to be modded aswell. My problem is that whenever i go to the mangoose webserver on my WiiU Browser and click on the link, nothing happens. I just go to a blank page (/osdriver/index.html). Could anybody help? Thanks :D

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, i could use some help.
I'm currently on 5.0.0 E and am fairly new to the wii U modding scene. I already have Homebrew on my VWii and would like my WiiUMenu to be modded aswell. My problem is that whenever i go to the mangoose webserver on my WiiU Browser and click on the link, nothing happens. I just go to a blank page (/osdriver/index.html). Could anybody help? Thanks :D
If you type your server IP and port (Ex: http://192.168.1.239:8080) into your browser on PC, do you see your shared directory that you set up in Mongoose?

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sometimes it happens to me too, that there will be no connection established - maybe thats a mongoose thing?

Will try to setup this package with xampp later but first i also have questions, maybe you can help me out with it :-)

yesterday i set everything up to the point to execute the kexploit but with some other configuration points:

1. Deny all internet Traffic for my Wii-U via Firewall (LAN-Traffic is allowed)
1.1 Configure Wifi on my WiiU with normal settings (DHCP from my LAN and i don't use your DNS-Server as internet traffic is denied anyway)
2. Download Mongoose and the kexploit Folder
3. disable Anti-Virus and make an exclusion for X:\WiiU\
4. Download kexploit again because i was dumb and did step 2 before step 3
5 put the files from the kexploit.zip into the root of X:\Wiiu\ as i don't want to type so much
6. Start Mongoose, set shared Directory to X:\WiiU
7. Start Wii U, start Browser tpe http://13.37.0.1:8080/
8. Sometimes it loads until the timeout comes therefore i hit the adress/favourite so often that it loads.
9. Payload532.html gets loaded and i got 2 outcomes:

1. Blackscreen with some stripes on the Wiiu Gamepad and TV - wiiu freezes (every time)
2. Wii U freezes while loading payload532.html meaning it freezes while you see half of the adress bar is full from loading(1 time).

Now i wanted to ask if outcome 1 is the black screen which has been mentioned in the first post?
Did anyone also had outcome 2?

aside from my try with xampp this evening - is there anything that i can try to make better? change numbers in the payload or is it really somehow like opening an html so often that the magic happens?

I mean, powering the Wii U up and kill it with the Power Button can't be healthy :-(

Regards and thx in advance!

ViolentRockstar

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright, it makes sense the kexploit doesnt work, because i used the wrong version (duh) :glare:. Now i know you said in the OP that i had to find the files myself, but i simply can't :wacko:. So if anybody can hook me up with some 5.0.0. files (kexploit and Cafiine), that'd be well appreciated :lol:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Alright, it makes sense the kexploit doesnt work, because i used the wrong version (duh) :glare:. Now i know you said in the OP that i had to find the files myself, but i simply can't :wacko:. So if anybody can hook me up with some 5.0.0. files (kexploit and Cafiine), that'd be well appreciated :lol:
the kernel exploit here should work for 5.0.0 (the OSDriver option)
http://www.wiiu-info.fr/exploit/
and use this version of cafiine, it worked fine for me on 4.1.0 and apparently works for 5.0.0 too
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-526#post-5653329

afaik there is no pygecko for anything other than 5.3.2 so you should really try getting a game to update to 5.3.2 in the long run

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing a fakesigned IOS on the vWii would be way messier and people would just end up softbricking (or worse). Blocking Nintendo's servers by URL is a much easier solution.

@Flame mirror at FileTrip is up.

thanks bud.

I wouldn't say it's messier. I see people brick their vWii's by even following the softmodding tutorial here on this board, even tho it's so well written ... I don't know where they get creative so they actually end up bricking their vWiis, but it's happening.

I wouldn't say we RECOMMEND the IOS fakesining method .. but only offering it as an option with pros and cons.
The biggest cons I see with the URL blocking is that not every router supports URL blocking for a specific device (like only the Wii U), so you end up blocking access to the Nintnedo servers for your 3DS and maybe even NUS (don't know exactly where it gets its files from).
And the URL blocking doesn't save you from disc updates .. it happend before that people somehow updated their consoles via discs ... or their crazy kids did it.

So by telling people in a nice little tutorial that when they install THIS fakesigned IOS on their vWii, the Wii U will abort every FW update from any source...internet or disc.
And you don't need URL blocking filters in your router or any DNS applications on your computer. There is even a way to delete the FW update data with the current Kernel exploit, so I actually see more pros than cons here.

But that's just my two cents, if I had more knowledge of the Wii U / vWii I would write it myself, but I'm just a user who tries to come up with plausible reasons to add this method as another option.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't say it's messier. I see people brick their vWii's by even following the softmodding tutorial here on this board, even tho it's so well written ... I don't know where they get creative so they actually end up bricking their vWiis, but it's happening.

I wouldn't say we RECOMMEND the IOS fakesining method .. but only offering it as an option with pros and cons.
The biggest cons I see with the URL blocking is that not every router supports URL blocking for a specific device (like only the Wii U), so you end up blocking access to the Nintnedo servers for your 3DS and maybe even NUS (don't know exactly where it gets its files from).
And the URL blocking doesn't save you from disc updates .. it happend before that people somehow updated their consoles via discs ... or their crazy kids did it.

So by telling people in a nice little tutorial that when they install THIS fakesigned IOS on their vWii, the Wii U will abort every FW update from any source...internet or disc.
And you don't need URL blocking filters in your router or any DNS applications on your computer. There is even a way to delete the FW update data with the current Kernel exploit, so I actually see more pros than cons here.

But that's just my two cents, if I had more knowledge of the Wii U / vWii I would write it myself, but I'm just a user who tries to come up with plausible reasons to add this method as another option.

i said thanks bud cause he uploaded the file to another link.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would consider it if I were to actually do that method myself to document the steps and procedures required. However, my vWii is unmodded and I don't see myself doing it in the foreseeable future. If you'd like to do/document it and deem it safe I would put it up as an option and give you full credit though.

Sidebar: Wasn't the internet blocking method due to installing a lower version of an IOS or something... and then if you deleted the HBC you essentially screw yourself?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

5. put the files from the kexploit.zip into the root of X:\Wiiu\ as i don't want to type so much
6. Start Mongoose, set shared Directory to X:\WiiU
7. Start Wii U, start Browser tpe http://13.37.0.1:8080/
8. Sometimes it loads until the timeout comes therefore i hit the adress/favourite so often that it loads.
9. Payload532.html gets loaded and i got 2 outcomes:

1. Blackscreen with some stripes on the Wiiu Gamepad and TV - wiiu freezes (every time)
2. Wii U freezes while loading payload532.html meaning it freezes while you see half of the adress bar is full from loading(1 time).

Now i wanted to ask if outcome 1 is the black screen which has been mentioned in the first post?
Did anyone also had outcome 2?
I leave the kexploit files in a folder, so then you would type http://13.37.0.1:8080/ and then click on the folder once it loads, and THEN it would load the kernel exploit. Maybe that has something to do with why yours is failing so often? I never get stripes on the game pad or TV. Mine is always either the race attack failed message, or the game pad freezes and the TV goes black (says no signal lol), or freezes with the progress bar halfway full.

the kexploit link in the guide should have files for every version, but you can alternatively use what gamesquest1 posted. And thanks for the links @gamesquest1 and @wj44; I'll add those to the guide for users on other versions :)

@wj44, does the FSA Read work on those TCP Gecko versions?

Last edited by fiveighteen,

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sidebar: Wasn't the internet blocking method due to installing a lower version of an IOS or something... and then if you deleted the HBC you essentially screw yourself?

I honestly don't know...but then again...why would anyone uninstall HBC? This is again another factor of people not follwoing instructions, when it comes to (v)Wii stuff, nobody told them that it's ok to delete it, nor recommended it.
So again, I only see 99% of all bricks caused by peoples desire to try funny things and then wonder why everything broke apart.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know...but then again...why would anyone uninstall HBC? This is again another factor of people not follwoing instructions, when it comes to (v)Wii stuff, nobody told them that it's ok to delete it, nor recommended it.
So again, I only see 99% of all bricks caused by peoples desire to try funny things and then wonder why everything broke apart.
I think it's part of human nature to try stupid shit out of curiosity.. sometimes it leads to homebrew, sometimes it bricks your console. Of course average users could mitigate that risk by reading or asking before randomly deleting things...

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I leave the kexploit files in a folder, so then you would type http://13.37.0.1:8080/ and then click on the folder once it loads, and THEN it would load the kernel exploit. Maybe that has something to do with why yours is failing so often? I never get stripes on the game pad or TV. Mine is always either the race attack failed message, or the game pad freezes and the TV goes black (says no signal lol), or freezes with the progress bar halfway full.

the kexploit link in the guide should have files for every version, but you can alternatively use what gamesquest1 posted. And thanks for the links

I gonna try that, and here is the screen that i got on my TV and gamepad.

But the folder shouldn't ne necessary, Since you just need to point to the Index.HTML or directly to the payload for your Version.

Attachments

• _20150917_000027.JPG
    _20150917_000027.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 393

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gonna try that, and here is the screen that i got on my TV and gamepad.

But the folder shouldn't ne necessary, Since you just need to point to the Index.HTML or directly to the payload for your Version.
I completely agree, but maybe it's just one of the quirks of the kernel exploit. Who knows. My screen has never looked like that lol.

EDIT: Also, another reason not to just throw your (kernel exploit) index.html and payload into the root folder... you wouldn't ever be able to load Cafiine or TCP Gecko since it would jump straight to your kernel exploit every time :P

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I completely agree, but maybe it's just one of the quirks of the kernel exploit. Who knows. My screen has never looked like that lol.

EDIT: Also, another reason not to just throw your (kernel exploit) index.html and payload into the root folder... you wouldn't ever be able to load Cafiine or TCP Gecko since it would jump straight to your kernel exploit every time :P
Strange... i'm aware about the Part with Cafiine and so on. But First i wanted to get the payload running.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yucky times. :sad: