The Game Awards 2017 Winners and Announcements

the-game-awards-2017-logo-747x309.jpeg

It's that time of the year again!

No, not Christmas or New Year (although those are pretty close too...) but it's time for The Game Awards, the pompous event that recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry!

Created in 2014 by media entrepreneur Geoff Keighley, the event has grown to look more and more professional with the years, especially considering the fiasco of its predecessor, VGX (okay, we shouldn't really be talking about that...). The Game Awards is starting to feel like a real celebration of both game creators and game players with its line of renowned guests, grandiose setup and sneak peeks of upcoming games. This year's edition will feature guests ranging from Hideo Kojima, Norman Reedus, Guillermo del Toro (mandatory bromance trio) to performance capture actor Andy Serkis (Gollum, Supreme Leader Snoke) and Rick and Morty's co-creator Justin Roiland!

On top of that the program is broadcast globally, free-of-charge, and can be streamed on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter and of course, right here on GBAtemp as it starts airing at 1 a.m GMT (Friday):

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite game in different categories right here!

What are you most excited about the event? Will you be tuning in? Share your thoughts below!

Announcements

• Saber Interactive's World War Z announced (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • Owlchemy Labs' VR Game Vacation Simulator coming 2018 (Oculus | Vive | PSVR)
  • Crows Crows Crows' Accounting+ coming to PSVR 19th December (PSVR)
  • From Software's newest project teased - "Shadows Die Twice."
  • Campo Santo's In the Valley of Gods announced for 2019
  • New Zelda BotW DLC releases tonight
  • Soul Calibur VI coming 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • THQ Nordic's new game Fade to Silence releases 14th December (Steam)
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2 coming to Nintendo Switch in February 2018
  • Bayonetta 3 announced for Nintendo Switch
  • Kojima's Death Stranding just looks insane and brilliant; much like the man himself
  • Witchfire announced from the creators of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • New footage shown for A Way Out - with my new favourite person narrating, releasing March 28th
  • Jumanji video game announced
  • Media Molecule's Dreams was shown in a new trailer, coming 2018
  • GTFO announced, a four player co-op FPS with the tagline: "Work Together or Die Together"
  • 4A Games' Metro Exodus trailer shown, coming fall 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
Award Winners

• Trending Gamer - Dr. Disrespect
  • Best Score / Music - NieR: Automata
  • Best Mobile Game - Monument Valley 2
  • Best Sports Racing Game - Forza Motorsports 7
  • Best VR / AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Best Art Direction - Cuphead
  • Industry Icon - Carol Shaw
  • Best RPG - Persona 5
  • Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us: Part II
  • Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best eSports Team - Cloud9
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead
  • Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch
  • Best eSports Player - Faker
  • Best Student Game - Level Squared
  • Games for Impact - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Audio Design - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Performance - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Best Action-Adventure Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited by Scarlet,

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I am surprised Zelda did not win all awards. I mean if you believe the universal reviews, it should have even got next year's GOTY too!

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What happened to the best multiplayer game category?
It is very possible I missed it. Not every category got its own segment, with four or five being read off in quick succession at times. Apologies if one or two got left out.

JPnintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What do you mean?
Decent dungeons in quality and quantity, for example. The history is really basic. The soundtrack has good quality but in quantity... Its not a bad game, but i felt it as another game with the name of zelda. I was so hyped when the thing was released (i got a switch just for it) but in the end it was like a “non zelda good experiencie”

Last edited by JPnintendo,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It plays like a 3D Zelda I

Your opinion. Feels nothing like previous 3D Zelda games to me. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.. But I feel like it's missing some things.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Zelda 2 didn't play like Zelda

Oot didn't play like Majora's mask

This just follows the trend

Zelda 2, okay yeah. You're going from top down dungeon crawler to side scrolling adventure.

MM had the same spirit as OoT... Hell it even had the Ocarina of Time in it. Not sure what you're saying here.

All previous 3D Zelda games had something to them to tell you that you were playing a Zelda game. BotW just had you play as link. Maybe it's just played out, I don't know. However, it felt nothing like previous games, let alone a Zelda title.

Last edited by Kioku,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you think MM had the same spirit as OoT, you havent played MM

I actually did. But okay.

Again, your opinion vs mine. Take it or leave it. No point in arguing it outside of understanding, which you clearly have no intention of.

Last edited by Kioku,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Then, other than control scheme, incarnation of Link, and reused assets, explain to me what you mean

Dungeons had the same depth to them. Similar puzzles. If it were tacked on as modern day DLC you wouldn't notice.

I always got a hint of OoT when playing MM. Stories may have been night and day different. However, the game felt like a successor to the former. Whether or not you agree is up to you. This isn't the thread for that.

That depth isn't there for BotW. Everything about it is lackluster and repetitive. The four main dungeons are easy, have no depth, and the boss fights are just too easy. Then you fight them again... Okay...

The shrines don't add to anything but the repetitive nature of the game. So many battle shrines that don't even get much harder unless you don't know what you're doing. The puzzles are fun time wasters, nothing that really makes me think. I do, however, like the idea of the orb system. Makes you work for your hearts rather than treasure hunting.

The weapon system isn't a bad idea on paper but the execution was terrible. You're constantly scavenging for arrows and swords(weapons) and shields (the least). The korok seeds are nothing short of a massive collect-a-thon.. Which you NEED to increase your inventory slots.

Last edited by Kioku,

JPnintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dungeons had the same depth to them. Similar puzzles. If it were tacked on as modern day DLC you wouldn't notice.

I always got a hint of OoT when playing MM. Stories may have been night and day different. However, the game felt like a successor to the former. Whether or not you agree is up to you. That depth isn't there for BotW. Everything about it is lackluster and repetitive. The four main dungeons are easy, have no depth, and the boss fights are just too easy. Then you fight them again... Okay...

The shrines don't add to anything but the repetitive nature of the game. So many battle shrines that don't even get much harder unless you don't know what you're doing. The puzzles are fun time wasters, nothing that really makes me think.
100% what i think. OoT & MM are the same engine with a little difierent gameplay and mechanics. But both true zelda games.

Reactions: Kioku

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Decent dungeons in quality and quantity, for example. The history is really basic. The soundtrack has good quality but in quantity... Its not a bad game, but i felt it as another game with the name of zelda. I was so hyped when the thing was released (i got a switch just for it) but in the end it was like a “non zelda good experiencie”

So it's like Zelda 1.

Reactions: DarthDub

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Im actually not surprised that Zelda: BoTW won those catogories it won.
I havent touched the game since the first DLC pack was released, and quickly got myself the upgrade for the Master Sword.
Today, i downloaded the DLC pack 2 and i just want to play the game all over again, and i almost never ever feel that way about games... If i finished the game, i loose intrest in it, but not with Zelda: BoTW.

I wonder how the next Zelda will be like, i really really like what they did with Zelda: BoTW.

Well deserved Nintendo!

And im so happy that Bayonetta 2 is coming to the Switch, bought it for the WiiU, but never finished it.

And OMG, Bayonetta 3, A SWITCH EXCLUSIVE!
YES PLEASE!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I'm not going into that. +1