The Game Awards announces its nominations for GOTY 2020

EnJQNbUVEAMX3jr.jpg

Another year means another hotly-debated Game Awards show, featuring the best games that have released throughout 2020. The annual show has announced which games have been nominated for various categories, such as best game direction, performance, audio design, and of course, game of the year. Major titles such as DOOM Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Hades, The Last of Us Part II, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons are all up for vote for 2020's best game. The results will be aired live on December 10th.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much no switch games nominated for anything apart from the "family" category which is baby games.

This is what happens when you fill an underpowered tablets library full of sub-HD quality £50 remakes lol
im pretty sure even if nintendo actually made a great console for once most of their games would still be on the "family" section
theyve always been a kids company
anyways, as long as TLOU2 isnt nominated for GOTY i'll be happy

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Play is in the place 23th and not cause of that I'm gonna say it was the best game of 2007
Liked or not, New Horizons sold that much cause of the pandemic.
It just released at the perfect timing, but to this point, we should know that just because something is popular or sold a lot, doesn't mean it's good...

I could not have said it any better. I strongly feel this way about many games (cough F. E. 3 Houses cough chough)
I'm not sure N really notices why many of their games are selling, not sure they are taking environmental/external and timing factors into consideration.

Advance wars first came out against the background of 9/11 and; was released officially in the US 9/10.. who was going to remember that game against the political background/events of what was going on that day, few... and subsequently was held back from release in other areas for the same reasons... Nintendo also released the 3 follow up games on less than stellar dates, and often against the background of other games with higher profiles. Oh, Dual strike did alright, but Nintendo apparently didn't feel the US / NA liked the game and here we are with nothing for many years, in spite of the success of the almost copy and print similarity of Fire Emblem.

They literally stated they didn't feel we would take to that style of game [read as... understand it?] before releasing it in the first place.

To show how well the game is liked just type Advance Wars into IOs search engine and see just how many look-alikes there are out there and compare it to the success of games like Tiny Metal, 1& 2, WarGroove, Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes, and a whole host of other similar games, most if not all successful. The game/style/loop IS wanted, however for some unspoken reason N doesn't want to touch it.

Anywho, I vote for Skyrim (hey if an FF7 remake, why not this) and or the US Elections as GOTY if my VOTE really stood for anything.
Sorry for long post

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
how does this work? if it's throughout 2020 then why isn't Cyberpunk 2077 considered?
I think it might win the awards hands down, if somehow it becomes eligible. Maybe it'll be in the 2021 edition?

edit: nevermind, I get it, it'll be game of the year 2077
To be fair, judging Cyberpunk by whatever comes out this December 10th would be somewhat unfair unless only the PC version was being voted upon - that's the only release with all the bells and whistles enabled. From what I've gathered, initially the console versions of the game will run with limited Series X support/via PS4 BC, pending a free "next-gen upgrade" sometime in 2021.

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ghost of tsushima, I played most of them except the last two. Also, because of this meme song, I don't think tlou2 should win because I thought it was just a meme, but most of the song lyrics are relevant.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm never sure what criteria they use. most popular? highest quality? most impactful? most epic feeling? timelessness?

personally, i try and pick most impactful and timeless. will i be recommending this game in 5-10 years? So really, I'm not sure about any of these.

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
As much as Animal Crossing is a great game you can't count the convenience its release had to a game award, I'd like to see it win but not for those reasons. FF7 is a remake of an old game, of course they usually give a whole new feeling om ambience and gameplay to it, but still idk. TLOU2 would be controversial agf, but fun nonetheless, that leaves Doom, Hades and Ghosts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong