Misc The GBA era is so classic,but talking about GBA in 2024 seems outdated?

OsQ_Oscar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The GBA era is so classic,but talking about GBA in 2024 seems outdated?
The GBA OST are so classic and unforgetable,but it's 2024 now is it outdated?

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Absolutely nothing about older games makes them outdated. Theres always something new to talk about them because there's always people who wouldn't know the usual to know the usual if you get what I mean

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's been dead for 20 years, and most people only like new new new. I mean, some people only play the new Madden and Call of Duty every year and call themselves "gamers".

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guess it depends what you mean by 'outdated'. On the most obvious level, yeah, of course they're outdated. Pretty much every technical aspect of their creation has advanced in leaps and bounds.

But many GBA games are still absurdly fun and tell stories that are just as enjoyable and valid to this day. In that sense, no, they're not outdated. It's a matter of perspective.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nah. It's still classic and unforgettable, it's just that everyone has played them already and there's not much new to add? Aside from the "hidden gems" or new developments like the Tomb Raider port, there's not much to discuss.
"[Game] is really good."
"Yes it is."
"Hear, hear."
"[Like]"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the GBA, the form factor of the original (GBA SP is cool too), the box art, the blue clear case GBA console, the cartridges, the games, and they're just all so nostalgic!

s-l1200.jpg

(With a backlit screen it'd be perfect!)

I in fact prefer the GBA over the DS which is obviously more powerful, but it has more games I'm interested in playing. For example, Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure is a game I've completed many times and it's still a blast to play whereas Dragon Ball: Origins (1 and 2 are essentially one game) just doesn't have that same feeling, although it's clearly a very good game, too.

4Rj76dwNJc8UA1eqPPeXTOaHd0YnLfz2FC9xjMFy.jpg

(Japan/Europe used the original DB logo, the U.S. version used the usual logo on the FUNimation DVD releases)

GBA had Sonic Advance, DS had the Sonic Rush series (Sonic Colors was pretty much Sonic Rush 3) so depending who you ask they may prefer the GBA series or the DS series, I'd be more inclined for the GBA series.

maxresdefault.jpg

Moreover, I bought the EZ Flash Definitive cart so I can just pop it in to a DS or GBA and play all of it with extra cool features (RAM, Rumble, etc) and also ordered 32GB SD cards as there's no logic to using 64GB/128GB cards (I'd never fill them up).

ez-flash-omega-de-2-cards-front-back.jpg

Reactions: Hanafuda

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's usually a cycle for this sort of thing. The console/handheld has its time and is discontinued, and then it's shown reverence during the "mourning" phase. After that, the console/handheld isn't discussed or it's actively insulted, and then there's a resurgence. Finally, everyone just plain "levels out" and feedback becomes more tempered.

GBA has leveled out. It's from the early 2000's, had solid support, and people have moved on. Some people loved it, others have stronger feelings towards the DS. No one really fights against the "best of" list because it's pretty much set in stone. At this point, it's about whether you want to talk about it or not.

Wow, what a clinical answer. I need to a new hobby.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some wear old clothes and look old, others think wear vintage clothes and look cool. I think the GBA is in the cool corner and guess where the ds phat is...

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some wear old clothes and look old, others think wear vintage clothes and look cool. I think the GBA is in the cool corner and guess where the ds phat is...
Do I sense a member of Team GBA? Just this month, there was a topic about the GBA and DS, and I fought hard for Team GBA. I don't contend that the DS is anything less than a success, but I have a soft spot for the GBA. The industry was in a creative place in the early 2000's, and the GBA benefited from that.

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm 46, and for me the GBA still feels like a modern handheld. I think it still has potential. It's homebrew scene is getting stronger and will grow. I modded one of my SPs and I love it. Nice sharp and bright screen. I could repeat many good points said in this thread. I guarantee I'll be playing my GBAs until I'm 99 and either the pcb dies or my thumbs break off.

Reactions: Nikokaro

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: Marc_LFD

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA era is so classic,but talking about GBA in 2024 seems outdated?
The GBA OST are so classic and unforgetable,but it's 2024 now is it outdated?
People are even trying to capture that 8 bit feel.

Those that make me read pixelated text is straight reject, otherwise those simulated 8 bit look is fine with me.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These GBA games really look very impressive (try to ignore the filters) even to this day:

Didn't care much about the commentary.

Reactions: zxr750j

iball

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm 46, and for me the GBA still feels like a modern handheld. I think it still has potential. It's homebrew scene is getting stronger and will grow. I modded one of my SPs and I love it. Nice sharp and bright screen. I could repeat many good points said in this thread. I guarantee I'll be playing my GBAs until I'm 99 and either the pcb dies or my thumbs break off.
Same here. Bought a banged-up GBA SP for cheap, slapped it into a new case with IPS display, got an Everdrive mini for regular GBA games and an InsideGadgets GBA cart for "Muh Pokemons" and after playing through Sapphire I'm now working on Unbound.
I spent almost two decades overseas in and out of uniform with the DOD and missed *all* of the handhelds and consoles for most of those years (outside of the Sega CD I had but was stolen from storage while I was deployment) so I'm catching up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1