Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Ok. Do you have the extension as part of cover name?

Rom name... Elevator Action.zip
Cover name... Elevator Action.zip.png

Nope, here's an example:
3-D WorldRunner (USA).nes
3-D WorldRunner (USA).png

edit: I gotta say it's humbling being on the other side of the support chain, lol, I'm happy to have ppl like you as part of this community to help troubleshoot, thx!

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. I thought that fixed the issue on your side with png files not named correctly.

Yes, covers are working correctly, just finished editing art for Game Gear that took a few hours. WFL has no problems with my new covers.

Honestly, issues like this are minor mistakes usually. If you could send me your NES ini file, i can send you a working structure corresponding.
Post automatically merged:

3D WorldRunner (USA).nes

Your boxcover must be named...

3D WorldRunner (USA).nes.png

The .png file must contain the rom extension, wether it is in raw .nes format or in .zip format.

If this does not fix the issue, check your ini boxcover path and make sure you are using / instead of \ as separation.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Ah OK, it wasn't clear that the rom extension needed to be in the png name, that's probably the issue. I'll test and confirm

Still not working, see spoiler for details of my set up that may help diagnose what I'm doing wrong

USB & SD:\wiiflow\plugins\NES\NES_fceu_gx.ini (coverfolder the same for other NES ini's in the same folder)
Code:
[PLUGIN]
arguments={device}:/{path}|{name}
bannersound=ZZ--Sounds/NES.ogg
consolecoverid=Nintendo
covercolor=000000
coverfolder=Nintendo/NES
displayname=Nintendo NES (FCEU-GX)
dolfile=NES/fceu_GX/fceu_GX.dol
filetypes=.nes|.nsf|.unf|.nez|.unif|.zip|.7z
magic=46434555
romdir=fceugx/roms
rompartition=1

USB & SD:\wiiflow\boxcovers\Nintendo\NES
1677066510233.png

USB:\fceugx\roms
1677066543661.png

On my USB are just the covers, but now I am also copying over the entire SD:\wiiflow folder to USB:\wiiflow just in case that makes a difference... I doubt it will but worth a shot... no difference

Last edited by XFlak,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like everything should be working correct. I would remove the wiiflow folder from USB, it is not needed and will only cause conflicts. In other words, the only files you should have on USB are your roms.

For my own setup, all files are on 128 SDHC with the exception of large games...
Wii-GC-N64-PS1-Sega CD-Turbo-Duo-OpenBOR are all on USB.

Please remove wiiflow from USB and reload cache.

Reactions: impeeza

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It looks like everything should be working correct. I would remove the wiiflow folder from USB, it is not needed and will only cause conflicts. In other words, the only files you should have on USB are your roms.

For my own setup, all files are on 128 SDHC with the exception of large games...
Wii-GC-N64-PS1-Sega CD-Turbo-Duo-OpenBOR are all on USB.

Please remove wiiflow from USB and reload cache.
This is how I had it before. I've previously renamed wiiflow on the usb to something different, but didn't actually delete it, result should be the same, and still no joy

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very strange behavior. Can you please upload a few of your png covers so i can test with the same setup you have. Want to make sure I'm using the same png files you have since this is where the issue is.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah OK, it wasn't clear that the rom extension needed to be in the png name, that's probably the issue. I'll test and confirm

Still not working, see spoiler for details of my set up that may help diagnose what I'm doing wrong

USB & SD:\wiiflow\plugins\NES\NES_fceu_gx.ini (coverfolder the same for other NES ini's in the same folder)
Code:
[PLUGIN]
arguments={device}:/{path}|{name}
bannersound=ZZ--Sounds/NES.ogg
consolecoverid=Nintendo
covercolor=000000
coverfolder=Nintendo/NES
displayname=Nintendo NES (FCEU-GX)
dolfile=NES/fceu_GX/fceu_GX.dol
filetypes=.nes|.nsf|.unf|.nez|.unif|.zip|.7z
magic=46434555
romdir=fceugx/roms
rompartition=1

USB & SD:\wiiflow\boxcovers\Nintendo\NES
View attachment 354821

USB:\fceugx\roms
View attachment 354822

On my USB are just the covers, but now I am also copying over the entire SD:\wiiflow folder to USB:\wiiflow just in case that makes a difference... I doubt it will but worth a shot... no difference
just to make sure .... after you fixed the name of all the covers (by including the rom extension). did you remember to view your games and then do a 'RELOAD CACHE'?

Reactions: XFlak

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@XFlak

Ok. So i tested your exact setup to confirm if it is working or not working. I edited .ini to match yours...

USB/fceugx/roms
Abadox.nes
Adventures Of Lolo 2.nes
Arkanoid.nes

SD/wiiflow/boxcovers/Nintendo/NES
Abadox.nes.png
Adventures Of Lolo 2.nes.png
Arkanoid.nes.png

This is verified working correctly.
---------

Please try this as a shot in the dark....

Launch Wiiflow Lite
Scroll to your Nintendo NES games
Press Home on Wiimote
Press Select Plugins
Scroll to Nintendo NES
Now check any 1 of the NES plugins
Now uncheck FCEU-GX

Press the B button a few times to get back to game screen...

Now go through the same procedure above but check FCEU-GX, then uncheck any other plugin.

Press B a few times and if WFL doesn't auto reload cache force reload cache.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
did you say you had the covers on USB but wiiflow is on SD? if so you probably need to manually edit the cover paths in wiiflow_lite.ini. they are probably set to sd:/wiiflow/boxcovers you need to change SD to usb.
So I have tried both SD:/wiiflow/boxcovers/Nintendo/NES and USB:/wiiflow/boxcovers/Nintendo/NES; however the ini in all cases has always been "coverfolder=Nintendo/NES" (i.e. the default).

I've also tried entering other things in the plugins ini's like "coverfolder=wiiflow/boxcovers/Nintendo/NES", "coverfolder=usb1:/wiiflow/boxcovers/Nintendo/NES", "coverfolder=usb1:/fceugx/covers/3D" & "coverfolder=USB:/fceugx/covers/3D" & "coverfolder=USB/fceugx/covers/3D", etc. For the majority of my testing I have left the path as default.

According to the installation.txt instructions in the plugins pack: "- When editing the .ini files, remember to always use a path relative to 'wiiflow/boxcovers' (e.g. if covers are in 'wiiflow/boxcovers/DOS', use coverfolder=DOS)"; based on this I didn't think we could specify a folder outside of 'sd:/wiiflow/boxcovers' or 'usb1:/wiiflow/boxcovers'

I looked inside wiiflow_lite.ini and didn't find any reference to boxcovers for plugins, only covers for wii games and such which are already set to USB. It would be great if we could easily specify any path in either the main ini file or the plugins ini files (e.g. usb1:/fceugx/covers/3D). It would also be great if the cover naming convention matched that of other emulators (i.e. covers do not need to include the rom extension (e.g. Abadox.nes.png). If both of these changes are made, it would mean wiiflow and other emulators could share the same folder of covers (technically the other loaders could change their path settings to align with wiiflow so really it's just the 2nd naming convention point that is preventing sharing of covers between apps).

@fledge68, please consider this a feature request, 1) to remove the requirement to include rom extensions in plugin boxcover names. 2) Ideally also be able to specify any path on any device where box covers can be saved. And on an entirely different note, 3) I don't like how hitting home opens the menu, then hitting home again exits the app. For all other apps when you hit home a second time it just closes the menu and returns you to the app, i.e. reversing the act of hitting home the 1st time.

@XFlak

Ok. So i tested your exact setup to confirm if it is working or not working. I edited .ini to match yours...

USB/fceugx/roms
Abadox.nes
Adventures Of Lolo 2.nes
Arkanoid.nes

SD/wiiflow/boxcovers/Nintendo/NES
Abadox.nes.png
Adventures Of Lolo 2.nes.png
Arkanoid.nes.png

This is verified working correctly.
---------

Please try this as a shot in the dark....

Launch Wiiflow Lite
Scroll to your Nintendo NES games
Press Home on Wiimote
Press Select Plugins
Scroll to Nintendo NES
Now check any 1 of the NES plugins
Now uncheck FCEU-GX

Press the B button a few times to get back to game screen...

Now go through the same procedure above but check FCEU-GX, then uncheck any other plugin.

Press B a few times and if WFL doesn't auto reload cache force reload cache.
I tried as you suggested and still no joy. I made sure my setup was exactly like I described it earlier to you, but I also tried a few other variations and none worked.

For example I tried having covers on both SD and USB hoping one location would get picked up. I also tried removing the USB:\wiiflow folder in case it was interfering. I tried a number of different coverfolder path settings as described above. Prior to your most recent advice I was always sure to reload cache, now I am reloading cache, then changing nes plugins then changing back to fceugx, then reloading cache again.

It's worth noting that fceugx is displaying covers without any issue, but my snes9xgx setup is not, despite being configured in the exact same way.

Earlier you asked me to share a box cover, please see attached the cover for one of the best NES games to ever be released :)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - The Manhattan Project (USA).nes.png

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unzip then try dropping this cache file in SD/wiiflow/cache/Nintendo/NES folder.

Just to make sure cache files can be read. 8 eyes should have artwork now.

Attachments

• 8 Eyes (USA).nes.zip
    369.9 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Unzip then try dropping this cache file in SD/wiiflow/cache/Nintendo/NES folder.

Just to make sure cache files can be read. 8 eyes should have artwork now.
This worked!!

So now how do I do this for all my games? Obviously want to avoid having you send me over a bunch of wfc files, lol

edit: I supposed I would use this?
https://github.com/Wiimpathy/WFC_conv
or this:
https://github.com/Wiimpathy/CreateCache

Is there no way for wiiflow to do this based on the png's themselves?

edit2: looking at this thread is there no source for NES or SNES covers anymore?

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This worked!!

So now how do I do this for all my games? Obviously want to avoid having you send me over a bunch of wfc files, lol

edit: I supposed I would use this?
https://github.com/Wiimpathy/WFC_conv
or this:
https://github.com/Wiimpathy/CreateCache

Is there no way for wiiflow to do this based on the png's themselves?

edit2: looking at this thread is there no source for NES or SNES covers anymore?

Check out the Covers 2 thread for Nintendo covers..

If you want/need my cache files, just let me know and i'll link you, it really is no problem. You'll just have to rename to match your roms with the renaming tools.

HoovyPooterTM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, sorry if I am posting this on the wrong place, this is my first time posting on gbatemp.
I just started using plugins on Wiiflow on my VWII and I saw that there is a Music Player plugin and that it supported .M3U files. I managed to get 1 .M3U file on Wiiflow but for some reason everytime I try to open it, it boots me to the VWii Menu.
I also tried to look into the, "music_player.ini" file and I see that the dolfile segment says, "dolfile=MUSIC" but I don't have a, "MUSIC.dol" file or anything related
I would be very greateful if anyone could help me out.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE