The Kingdom Hearts games are headed to the Nintendo Switch through cloud streaming

kingdom-hearts-1-scaled.jpg

Announced today alongside the final character reveal for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was that Kingdom Hearts is coming to the Nintendo Switch. Three titles will be available, letting you catch up on all the series lore: Kingdom Hearts I.5+II.5 ReMIX, Kingdom Hearts II.8, and Kingdom Hearts III. These games will utilize cloud streaming to be playable on the Switch, rather than be straight up ports to the console. No release date was given.

:arrow: Source

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only KH3 but KH2.8 too, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 not only includes the 3DS remaster but also an original game called Kingdom Hearts 0.2 which also runs on Unreal Engine 4 like KH3, Switch would probably have trouble running it. ( also has Kingdom Hearts X in the collection. )

The only reason I can think of Square having made all the games run on the cloud is probably because they didn't want to go to the trouble of separating the games from the 2.8 collection, as 1.5 and 2.5 were originally built for the PS3 I really don't think it would be too laborious or expensive to port it to the Switch, but 2.8 would certainly be a problem.

Yup, just being lazy as SE loves to do. Screw them.

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
A major benefit to could gaming (and probably the only real benefit) is the PC at the other end of our connection could be incredibly powerful, giving us graphics that could be technically impossible on domestic hardware. Rendering PS2/3 graphics is just a waste of it's potential and is just lazy.

We really need to boycott this before other devs follow suit.

Reactions: MORSHU8KRTXON

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let's not forget, all of the non-Unreal Engine 4 games on KH PC collection had constant random crashes at launch, and so far as I know, only KH2 was patched at the end of July. What if the server-side machine is running the PC versions of the games???? So in addition to the garbage that is Cloud gaming, in addition to all the problems with the Switch's internet (wireless AND wired), you'd have the constant crashes of the garbage PC ports????

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I can already imagine the frustration of trying to beat some of the superbosses that require great timing, with the latency introduced by streaming.. I'm not getting these cloud versioon that's for sure...

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think its because of the size of the games. 1.5 and 2.5 alone is 50 gigs on PC

And that's probably mainly due to the large video content that I feel they could very easily compressed down to a way lower filesize. Or only stream that particular content is also a possibility I guess.

The games themselves are upressed PS2 and 3DS titles and should be much smaller in size.
Although a bit larger than the original titles due to thehighres textures. I still feel like they could probably get it down to around 30-35GB. And you know. Why not do what they did with Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Remaster on the Vita. Split it up in separate downloads so you don't need to have it all at the same time if you don't have space for it.

Also they usually manage to reduce filesizes on the Switch quite a bit Final Fantasy XII on Switch is 12.6 GB while the PS4 version is 40.68 GB. And I don't think the PS4 version contains any additional content.

So yeah, I really don't think the filesize you have to be anywhere near the filesize we see on PC or PS4

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
@Memoir @tech3475 Well the reason i said "Nintendo" instead of SE, is because that this is on their system (the Switch) and they control the releases. When SE come up to N with the "streaming" idea they allowed it to happen - which probably just an attempt to get a quick buck from people without doing much effort- pushing the port till later. If they were like : "No way! Come back when you actually have the game port in hand.. " instead it went like this :"Sure no prob, as long as we get money from this.."

Unless Nintendo approached SE with the idea or blocked them from doing native execution, then I'd still blame SE over Nintendo.

Blame Nintendo for allowing it, but ultimately it was SEs decision to go down this path.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Nomura said long ago that the games will never be on switch because of the console not be able to hadle them. Seems he was right lmao

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
What an absolute joke.
Indeed.

Well Nomura said long ago that the games will never be on switch because of the console not be able to hadle them. Seems he was right lmao
You.. bought into that ?
PS3 handled 1.5&2.5 just fine.
They could've /at least/ done those...

Not in my worst nightmares'd I envision to stoop this low.

FFX, LifeIsStrange, sure we'll port those...
KH ? Nah man... Was already too "hard" on PS3/4 and XBOX
What ?
Saber Interactive ? Virtuous ? Nah.. We're good.
Lets just pollute the environment more.
Kthxbye

Someone posted this on GF.. very concerning:

I wonder if all platforms were Cloud versions....

How'd the Sony/XBox Fanbase've reacted ?
(Then again. I forgot SE is Sony's B!t€#..)

tedwards75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own all three on PS4, and the only game I've ever finished was 2.
I liked the Drive Forms; those were fun. Never could manage to beat the Org 13 rematches in that white challenge room, though.
I did start 1 and 3, but eeeeh, 1's Tarzan vine-swinging was so poorly coded it's :shit:, and 3 just didn't hold my interest.
Wait, the vine-swinging in Tarzan world is where you got stuck? Lol. It’s super easy. You press a button to grab the vine and when you’re close to the other side press the button to jump off onto the platform. You’re probably overthinking it. That’s still the beginning of the game. I didn’t even get stuck at that part when I was 10 years old.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
this is NOT the only way, holy crap

I do sort of agree, If they can get something like the Witcher, Doom Eternal and Crysis running on the Switch then I feel like KH3 would probably be possible, especially since it's running on Unreal Engine which is really scalable.

However, it would probably require lots of work to get it running well and they probably don't think it's worth it.

But yeah, I do believe it's possible even if it would look a bit worse and maybe run at a pretty low resolution with more "pop in"

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wait, the vine-swinging in Tarzan world is where you got stuck? Lol. It’s super easy. You press a button to grab the vine and when you’re close to the other side press the button to jump off onto the platform. You’re probably overthinking it. That’s still the beginning of the game. I didn’t even get stuck at that part when I was 10 years old.
Didn't get stuck there, but it was still annoying. I just lost interest in the game over time.
KH2 kept my interest because of the Drive Forms, really.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/QVk7usHFwg0?si=yEpJq1ux_bSmkCIW