The MIG Switch Thread

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of these. So far I'm very unimpressed. Can't get any of my XCI to work so far. I have dumped an original and it works. I have 2 more migswitch coming in the mail. I'm going to return them.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what’s not working exactly ? Can you share a screenshot of your SD card ?
just any random XCI files I have sitting around. Maybe they were converted NSP or a different region or something who knows. All I know is, it does work with files I dumped from an original game so I'm happy with that at least. I will be doing more experimenting maybe I need to try some older XCI files I have like Mario Odyssey, etc.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just any random XCI files I have sitting around. Maybe they were converted NSP or a different region or something who knows. All I know is, it does work with files I dumped from an original game so I'm happy with that at least. I will be doing more experimenting maybe I need to try some older XCI files I have like Mario Odyssey, etc.
Well that’s why they won’t work

It can’t be random or modified files. The XCI must match the initial data file and be unmodified (not even trimmed)

Statesman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a good discord server for the mig switch? Or a reddit?
Discord is very trigger happy about topics like the Mig Switch these days (a single person/report can get a server banned). Wish people used other software as their default method of communication but anyway...outside here or reddit, you'll have to either join one of the Telegram channels or be willing learn/to rely on translation to participate on Russian/Chinese forums.

Lumpofcoal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sounds like it is working as advertised? I don't think MIG has ever claimed that random downloaded XCIs would just work with it. I don't know why so many folks have the expectation that it would be a miracle piracy tool and then express disappointment when it doesn't work like they thought it would despite MIG never saying it would be for as such. I saw some rose-tinted comments (before they received it) on reddit claiming that it should work for random XCIs, just that MIG can't legally say so....has to be otherwise there wouldn't be any point to it.

Last edited by Lumpofcoal,

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like it is working as advertised? I don't think MIG has ever claimed that random downloaded XCIs would just work with it. I don't know why so many folks have the expectation that it would be a miracle piracy tool and then express disappointment when it doesn't work like they thought it would despite MIG never saying it would be for as such. I saw some rose-tinted comments (before they received it) on reddit claiming that it should work for random XCIs, just that MIG can't legally say so....has to be otherwise there wouldn't be any point to it.
Because people can’t read the sub Reddit is plagued with the same issues

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that’s why they won’t work

It can’t be random or modified files. The XCI must match the initial data file and be unmodified (not even trimmed)
ok if the initial data has to match the XCI, then how would one go about using an XCI downloaded online? impossible? sounds like it can just be used for backing up games (which is reasonable)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That is the biggest issue. People thought it was a R4 card. Download files of the internet and play! No, just no... you need to do a little work yourself this time. It aint as easy as previous cards. Nintendo aren't as dumb as before.

Why this card works? I heard in the background some abuse of the gigaleak.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the biggest issue. People thought it was a R4 card. Download files of the internet and play! No, just no... you need to do a little work yourself this time. It aint as easy as previous cards. Nintendo aren't as dumb as before.

Hiiii linuxares. I wouldn't find that hard to believe since this is pure piracy, they won't care about using gigaleak unlike emulator authors.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok if the initial data has to match the XCI, then how would one go about using an XCI downloaded online? impossible? sounds like it can just be used for backing up games (which is reasonable)
Impossible unless that file was also shared with its initial data file

Theres a handful floating around but the majority are in private groups due to how they have to be obtained and the potential fragility of the certs so most don’t want them used too much and want to keep em locked down

Reactions: Blythe93

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Impossible unless that file was also shared with its initial data file

Theres a handful floating around but the majority are in private groups due to how they have to be obtained and the potential fragility of the certs so most don’t want them used too much and want to keep em locked down
Alright I understand that. NickMoses told me that you can use any XCI with any cert but I can clearly see that is incorrect. Thanks for clearing that up.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have one yet, but from what I understand you CAN swap certs just fine (provided you rename the file to match the xci, natch). it's the initial data bin file that has to match from what I understand, and I think I heard that's the one that the same on all carts of that title (and revision) alongside the xci. So like, that tells me that if rom repositories were smart, they'd redump their xci files to include the initial data file alongside in the DL. And like, trust the person downloading the files for their flashcart (mig, the upcoming unlock switch, whatever other additional products come down the line, etc) to get their own cert file and be smart enough to use one unique to their person so that ninty doesn't flag them as a dupe (eg, a donor cert from their own collection of physical cartridges)

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the MIG Switch team said they couldn't add a button because pressing down on it would interrupt the cart's connection. But I don't understand why they didn't add a touch sensor to the top of the cart. All you'd have to do is gently tap the cart to switch games. The flap that goes over the cart slot should prevent accidental presses too. Those touch sensors are basically just a piece of copper tape with a wire attached. You could easily fit it in the cartridge.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the MIG Switch team said they couldn't add a button because pressing down on it would interrupt the cart's connection. But I don't understand why they didn't add a touch sensor to the top of the cart. All you'd have to do is gently tap the cart to switch games. The flap that goes over the cart slot should prevent accidental presses too. Those touch sensors are basically just a piece of copper tape with a wire attached. You could easily fit it in the cartridge.
The UnlockSwitch clone seems to be fixing this issue

Must suck for the MIG team but that’s what they get for fucking around. Months later and the majority of orders are still unfulfilled and no one has received a single dumper yet still

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country

part of the issue is that flash carts and similar producs always have been advertised as "for playing personal backups only" while they've been super simple to use with piracy - only in this case, people assume the backup statement is just for show as usual while it's actually true for once.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
part of the issue is that flash carts and similar producs always have been advertised as "for playing personal backups only" while they've been super simple to use with piracy - only in this case, people assume the backup statement is just for show as usual while it's actually true for once.

It's only true because it's new

Once it's widely available along with a load of clones you'll be able to find complete dumps all over the place. Will still be best to use your own cert though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Deeze nuts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also if my older brother does a clean Windows install I will ask him to do that dual boot thing to have Linux aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    On my pc
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Clickbait
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If it wasnt obvious enough lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well you did click it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, there was no way of knowing if it was gonna be clickbait or not until clicking it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess it's just a click then
    +2
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    Hi i was wondering where i can download a fresh istall for the mii maker on wii u (EU). The consol is not modded jet but the mii maker is corupted
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, I think (non homebrew) roms arent posted here
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ah ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that case is huge, but is cool.
  • D @ dadadad:
    I was installing mods for games, but when I removed the romfs folder, an error occurred. Now when I try to launch the game, I see a yellow screen, and I have to reboot the switch. Reinstalling the game didn't help. Can you advise me on what to do to launch the game without mods?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @dadadad delete sd:\atmosphere\contents
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should find out from the mod dev how to uninstall it. Every mod is different on how you install/uninstall.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @The Real Jdbye Wouldn't that take out bunch other stuff also?
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
    D @ dadadad: The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?