The new Persona ports will be coming to Steam and PlayStation 5; Persona 3 and 4 rumoured to be coming to Switch

Microsoft announced on Sunday that three highly-acclaimed games in the Persona series will be coming to Xbox One, Series X|S and Windows PC, all on Game Pass. Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, and Persona 5 Royal will be making their way to Xbox over the coming months, starting with Royal on October 21, 2022. This is significant as, until now, most mainline Persona games had been restricted to PlayStation platforms, with the exception of the original game getting a PC port in Japan in 1999, three years after its initial release.

Today, Atlus also confirmed these titles will be coming to Steam and PlayStation 5. It's currently unclear whether or not these ports will release on the same schedule as the Xbox ones. Golden already released on Steam back in June of 2020, and Royal is playable on PS5 through backwards compatibility with the PS4 version, but this will finally bring the most popular titles in the series consistently to a number of platforms. It also marks the first port of Persona 3 Portable, which has been locked on the PSP since its release in 2010.

Speaking of Persona 3 Portable, news of its port leaked back in December by a blogger named Zippo. While Zippo said it would be getting a "multiplatform remaster," and this appears to be more of a straight port, he nevertheless accurately predicted that it would be getting a multiplatform re-release. He also leaked, correctly, that Persona 4 Ultimax would be getting a port in July of 2021, before its announcement that December.

Zippo has again posted a leak regarding the Persona series. On Sunday, the day of Microsoft's press conference, Zippo posted a celebratory post about the announcements, and ended with the message "Don't worry, Nintendo and Sony fans, your time will come. They're coming to your platforms, too." He later updated his post to clarify that Persona 3 and Persona 4 (presumably the Portable and Golden versions) will be coming to Switch, but he's unsure if Persona 5 Royal will be making it to Nintendo's platform.

Of course, this is just a rumour, so take it with a grain of salt, but Zippo does have two solid Persona-related leaks under their belt at this point.

Source: GBAtemp Inbox

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
On one hand, now I can finally start playing P4G on Steam to prepare for P5R, but on the other hand, that means I'll have to wait a lot longer for P3P.
Then again, I can always just do NG+ with P4G once it comes out to other platforms, to fill the gap between games.

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know nobody will bother replying to my message (As usual) but I'll never stop saying that there is Catherine Full Body on the Switch, and it runs on the goddamn Persona 5 Royal engine. Yes, it's a puzzle game with very light visual novel elements, but that doesn't change the fact that the console can handle such an engine pretty well. I'm sure they'd just need to tone down visual effects and texture quality in the case of P5R, maybe even drop the resolution to 900p if the situation is desperate enough

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch was capable of running BotW and Mario Odyssey, but an RPG is too much?

Even DBZ Kakarot (kinda sucks, imo) which was "too powerful" was eventually released on the Switch.
Persona 5 was even a PS3 game initially,and the Switch has been compared to that power-wise. Even an Assassin's Creed game used the PS3 versions as a base for Switch.
Though back-porting Royal to that spec would be quite an ordeal. But I'd rather wait for a proper port than a dreaded Cloud "Edition".

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Persona 5 was even a PS3 game initially,and the Switch has been compared to that power-wise. Even an Assassin's Creed game used the PS3 versions as a base for Switch.
Though back-porting Royal to that spec would be quite an ordeal. But I'd rather wait for a proper port than a dreaded Cloud "Edition".
Two things the Switch has going for it are the more streamlined architecture and bigger amount of RAM (512 -256 RAM and 256 VRAM- vs 4GB RAM, IIRC)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shock, nintendonts new console, to play all the old games they lacked first time.

No, this is not improving third party support, when you continue to lack their new games, yet again.

Then what, release another system and make the same promise again, and get all the last gen games you lacked.

Its embarrassing to think nintendont are already a gen infront after their first attempt to copy off the tablet concept failed, but its next gen couldn't even run anything the current last gen consoles are getting.

Only then, when nintendo release its new next gen (thus still been a gen infront) it will just be able to play the old shit and maybe the odd new title if the dev can be arsed to dumb it down and release it months after the other systems have had it and it be the superior version.

All I can say is nintendont fans must be loyal because all they do is release the same crap, the switch even they couldn't be arsed and ported its old crap, then charge you for dlc over new content that should have been in the game to start with.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If P5R will come to the Switch, I would think there shouldn't be a problem for Atlus to do proper port to the Switch as oppose to cloud version. Not to mention, Catherine Full Body is already on the Switch. How is this related? The game runs on the same engine as P5 and P5R.

What I'm worry about is who is doing the localizing of these games. Not a fan of the localizer who is known to make unnecessary changes (to put it nicely) to game dialogues. In other words, don't expect all the dialogue to be faithful to the original Japanese dialogue.

Maverick_z

When did i join again??
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Attachments

• ogp.jpg
    ogp.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: guisadop

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m delving into the series for the first time with Q. It’s a fun game but I don’t like the puzzles. Are there puzzles in the other games too?

jojoruteon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I’m delving into the series for the first time with Q. It’s a fun game but I don’t like the puzzles. Are there puzzles in the other games too?
never played Q, but from what i played of 3 and 4 there aren't many puzzles, it's very focused on the dungeon crawling aspect

PrincessLisette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really starting to get tired of all these Persona port rumours especially regarding Switch versions. Even after ports for other platforms have been confirmed.

Just explicitly confirm if it's happening or not please Atlus (or a credible games journo). At this point I'm hoping if a Switch version is happening it is leaked by a reliable source. And not some random leaker like Zippo.

also these ports should be physical on all platforms. will force the prices of P3P / P4G physicals to drop like a rock, for one.

There are some puzzles in Persona 5 but that's more like a traditional RPG, not a dungeon RPG.

I'd start with Persona 4 Golden personally. Persona Q gameplay wise is like Etrian Odyssey, which is a dungeon RPG. It's a different RPG subgenre to mainline Persona games.

Reactions: Prior22

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe Zippo is particularly reliable or trustworthy, iirc his track record is pretty damn spotty. Wouldn't take his word to heart when it comes to this sort of thing at all. Pretty sure he started rumors of a "Mario Kart 9" before they announced DLC for 8 instead.

Not that I think Persona games getting Switch ports is unlikely, but that's exactly why I don't believe Zippo - he seems like a pretty mediocre "insider" to me, this seems like a safe guess, especially with the hesitance over 5.

Reactions: nxwing

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Shock, nintendonts new console, to play all the old games they lacked first time.

No, this is not improving third party support, when you continue to lack their new games, yet again.

Then what, release another system and make the same promise again, and get all the last gen games you lacked.

Its embarrassing to think nintendont are already a gen infront after their first attempt to copy off the tablet concept failed, but its next gen couldn't even run anything the current last gen consoles are getting.

Only then, when nintendo release its new next gen (thus still been a gen infront) it will just be able to play the old shit and maybe the odd new title if the dev can be arsed to dumb it down and release it months after the other systems have had it and it be the superior version.

All I can say is nintendont fans must be loyal because all they do is release the same crap, the switch even they couldn't be arsed and ported its old crap, then charge you for dlc over new content that should have been in the game to start with.

Which is why the Nintendo Switch got games like Monster Hunter Rise, Dragon Quest XI Definitive and SMT V before all the other platforms.

The switch has plenty of games, if you don't like them, that's fair, but please stop derailing a thread a persona rumour by simply hating nintendo. As for DLC, most first party games barely even have it.

Anyway, it's pretty disappointing they're releasing the Portable version rather than the FES one.
Would be interesting in buying FES for any of those platforms, for portable I'll stick with the PSP version.

Last edited by Skelletonike,

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to see these games get a port finally.
Though I was hoping they'd mix P3P and P3:fes somehow to make a definitive version but I guess it's just a straight port of the PSP version.
Since it is more or less a straight port from the PSP I hope we can get the first and second games ported over this way too.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Just letting you guys know that P4G and P3P are possibly coming to PS4, as confirmed here.
They also deconfirmed P4G on Steam since it's already available there xD

44e666da26fde9c4f8315eaeb1b54a2ffae356e35031e01a2572b40583ab1394.png

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is why the Nintendo Switch got games like Monster Hunter Rise, Dragon Quest XI Definitive and SMT V before all the other platforms.

The switch has plenty of games, if you don't like them, that's fair, but please stop derailing a thread a persona rumour by simply hating nintendo. As for DLC, most first party games barely even have it.

Anyway, it's pretty disappointing they're releasing the Portable version rather than the FES one.
Would be interesting in buying FES for any of those platforms, for portable I'll stick with the PSP version.
Dragon Quest XI which released originally when..... so yea the switch gets another old title ported (it was already released on PS4 in 2017).

Shin Megami Tensei V - appears to be a nintendo switch exclusive, well done batman that argument is like saying nintendo got Zelda before any other platform :rolleyes:

Monster Hunter Rise was released first for nintendo, then followed to microsoft few months later, but this one is the only one you could use as a counter, but ignoring the fact the microsoft version will be the superior version - so yea, if this was a title I would be into, i would rather wait to get the superior version rather than wait months for nintendo to get the inferior version :rolleyes:

The switch has plenty of games, yes that I did state, but 99.9% of them are from the past gen consoles, yup, games that I already own, so what incentive is there for me to go out and rebuy them, as for the fan defence of it been portable, I haven't even seen a single person since the switch release, playing the console sat on a bus/train.

So if likely people do what most do, take their console to some ones house to play, well i could do exactly that with my other consoles (though I chose not to), I have them all emulated on my laptop if I were that desperate to play games when I leave my house.

Your last statement is exactly the problem, I would rather see todays games, not all the old crap they lacked when it first came out.

But that's nintendo for you, they focus more on releasing old cheap hardware with some BS gimmick to make it sell like hot cakes, they only care about re releasing its same old titles that are pretty much the same crap recycled.

They know that if they don't provide the hardware, then the devs cant and wont support them with its new and current titles because it would cost more to have a team make a version dedicated for nintendo and in return its sales never cover the cost that it would be to produce a dedicated version rather than simply porting it over.

This is them controlling its market to ensure its titles get better sales, when they don't have todays new titles to compete with, clearly the fans will buy nintendo titles if they cant buy todays new titles.

And even the switch nintendo couldn't be arsed with it, they have literally ported everything they can from its failure Wii U (reminder why did the Wii U fail......) and to even think BOTW (which clearly was given to fan critics) is a pathetic game considering we have not had a new zelda console title since Skyward Sword (which the switch got an annoying port).

And what's this, BOTW2 is pretty much because after they released the first pile of crap with nothing really to do but run aimlessly doing repetitive shrines and a flawed battle system. They then had far too much actual content they should have included in the game, they released some as DLC, but they admitted that all of this as DLC would have been too much, so they release it as a new title......

Take Mario Kart, just another port with nothing new, but wait a second, what have nintendo gone and done, provide you new content that you would expect when buying a new game, but they release it as DLC. Would you not rather see nintendo release these new tracks as a new title rather than port something you already own then charge you more?

Even its premium online service is a joke, what's this, more old stuff, you only get to play what nintendo let you play, where as you can emulate anything you like and fact is, nintendo did a very crap job at trying to emulate its own consoles, funny that these "hackers" they love to tackle with their legal team are the ones that have already made near perfect emulators of their consoles.

I used to be a fan of nintendo, I miss the days when they used to get the same games as the other systems, I remember when they used to get the superior version, but since the N64, that is when nintendo started to decline and then focused more on making cheaper consoles with gimmicks and over time the number of nintendo games I own for said console is rapidly declined compared to the other systems.

I can bet yet again, nintendo will soon announce the switch to become its portable console (replacing the already dead 3DS) and they will have to launch a new console if they're to think they can keep up with the new gen consoles because the switch cant even run BOTW without slowdown issues (Still) and watch it be another last gen subpar console with some new bs gimmick.

Watch nintendo again promise better third party support, but what that really means is we will finally get all the great titles we lacked - yet again. But they will make sure that its hardware is not capable of running next gen games the same as the other systems, it will again get inferior ports if they are to support it, it wont have hardware that will outperform the other systems.

If ninetndo had todays games that I want to play when its new, like they used to do, then I wouldnt have a problem, it would be like to good old days.

But fact is, its not, I dont see the point in buying a new console to play old games that I already own.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

DQXI was released in two different versions, one for the 3DS and one for the PS4. The 3DS one wasn't released in the west.

The Switch version, Definitive Edition, changed a lot of the plot and added the 2D feature from the Nintendo 3DS version. Other platforms got this version 1 year later.

As for SMT, it may be released on pc later, there are rumours regarding that.

There's too much to read but about Nintendo's online service, well, I pay 20€ a year, mostly for the save backup and online. Had to pay more than that for my PS Plus, I didn't care about most of the games offered there, but it was necessary for online play.

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: @AncientBoi how are you ? :evil: :D +2