The Nintendo Switch has officially outsold the Wii

compare-hero.jpg

Nintendo's latest financials are live, and with the new sales figures comes another sale milestone for the juggernaut that is the Nintendo Switch. The Switch family of consoles, consisting of the standard Switch, the Lite and the OLED, has now sold 103.54 million units, reaching that number in only five years, faster than any other home console. Notably, the Switch still has some time left in its life cycle, while the Wii, Nintendo's previous best-selling home console, sold 101.63 million units in its lifetime, The Switch has now eclipsed the Wii U , which ended its life cycle with only 13.5 million sales.

While the Switch could be classified as Nintendo's best-selling home console, the hybrid console still lags behind some of the company's other handheld releases. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color sold 118.69 million units, and the Nintendo DS family of consoles sold a whopping 154.02 million units. Besides those two, the Switch is also still chasing the Sony PlayStation 4 at 116.6 million units and the PlayStation 2 at approximately 155 million.

:arrow: Source

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's latest financials are live, and with the new sales figures comes another sale milestone for the juggernaut that is the Nintendo Switch. The Switch family of consoles, consisting of the standard Switch, the Lite and the OLED, has now sold 103.54 million units, reaching that number in only four years, faster than any other home console. Notably, the Switch still has some time left in its life cycle, while the Wii, Nintendo's previous best-selling home console, sold 101.63 million units in its lifetime, The Switch has now outsold the Wii U by ten times, which ended its life cycle with only 13.5 million sales.

While the Switch could be classified as Nintendo's best-selling home console, the hybrid console still lags behind some of the company's other handheld releases. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color sold 118.69 million units, and the Nintendo DS family of consoles sold a whopping 154.02 million units. Besides those two, the Switch is also still chasing the Sony PlayStation 4 at 116.6 million units and the PlayStation 2 at approximately 155 million.

:arrow: Source
I had a feeling that this was going to happen for years, but I never expected it to happen so soon. This makes me happy.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is a silly idea of mine, but I think since Nintendo lost its individual home and portable console sales for this to happen - you really need to cut the number in half to directly compare to older systems

If you combined the Wii and DS sales you get something like 250 million units - so Nintendo has still lost market from that time imo
This is interesting to think about because it seems like Nintendo might have fucked up. I wonder what their total profits including hardware+software looks like today compared to the era when they had separate handheld/home consoles?

I'm sure the Switch has sold way more games than the Wii ever did, but did it overtake Wii+DS sales? There's also the fact that the sale price of games has not changed at all since that time, but the cost of developing games has gone up.

They're undoubtedly in a much better position today than they were back in the Wii-U/3DS era, but maybe the hybrid console wasn't the smartest decision?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
IMO it's cheating because the Switch is both a handheld and a home console.
no it's not it's a HANDHELD that can be plugged into the tv it is NOT EVEN close to a home console :lol: the only thing the switch has going for it is the portability factor. people want to play their shitty indy, pixel and weeb game on the go. the switch can't play any real 3rd party games without fps issues or crashing. the NSO is a joke and their n64 emu is pathetic. now that steam deck is out there's going to be a shift in power real soon.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dreamcast was a joke like PSVita but Wii U yes, it has potential.
None of them were what I'd call a joke imo. I've heard lots of good things about the Dreamcast, and I've had a PSVita before, it's a really good console that just had too little support, it certainly had a lot of potential.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
no it's not it's a HANDHELD that can be plugged into the tv it is NOT EVEN close to a home console :lol: the only thing the switch has going for it is the portability factor. people want to play their shitty indy, pixel and weeb game on the go. the switch can't play any real 3rd party games without fps issues or crashing. the NSO is a joke and their n64 emu is pathetic. now that steam deck is out there's going to be a shift in power real soon.
The Switch might not be exactly powerful but it's definitely a home console when plugged in, and while the Steam Deck is certainly really cool, it's not doing better than the Switch anytime soon, they appeal to completely different types of people.

sroemr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
103.54 ÷ 13.5 = 7.67

Not sure how the math was so far off, you literally just need to move the decimal over one to 135 to see how much is needed to outsell the Wii U 10 to 1.

Reactions: relauby

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we have that already- it's the switch lite
But the switch is so weak you could probably make a home only version and it could be the size of a cell phone with a little power brick and HDMI cord

Could probably profit selling it for $100

Reactions: Kioku

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the switch is so weak you could probably make a home only version and it could be the size of a cell phone with a little power brick and HDMI cord

good point, kind of like the PSTV

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

They'd sell it for $250... Only because they'd include their Pro controller, 6 months of NSO, and pretend it's a great deal.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I just don't get it. The Switch is an under powered, overrated, pile of crap. 5 years later, It only has a handful of exclusive titles that are worth playing. Most of it's big name titles were available on the Wii U years ago. I still think a modded Wii U is far superior to a jailbroken Switch in terms of flexibility with backward compatibility, etc. I have owned a Switch since 2018 and I have barely touched it. Mostly only play PC, PS4/5, and Wii U. Goes to show you how marketing can make a crap product successful, and lack of marketing (Wii U) can make an excellent product a disaster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot