The Pokemon Company has filed a lawsuit against those who leaked pre-release images of Sword/Shield

0.png

Pokemon games tend to be an incredibly popular topic of discussion, no matter what, but with the dawn of a new generation, where information and unannounced Pokemon are slowly trickled out over months, or even kept secret until launch, fans were going wild with anticipation. This was especially true for Sword and Shield, which had a very contentious pre-release fervor to them. When images of the strategy guide for Pokemon Sword and Shield appeared on the internet, weeks prior to the games' official release, which was on November 15th, they went viral, as users posted them to every nook and cranny of social media and message board. Nintendo themselves even tried to get many sites to take those pictures down, citing the DMCA, to mild success. But by then, everyone had already saved the images and had distributed them even further across the internet.

To mitigate damage caused by the Defendants' leaks, TPCi submitted hundreds of takedown requests to platforms to remove the leaked images.

The content of the leaked strategy guide, which was slated to release a week after Sword and Shield themselves, on November 22nd, included pictures of Gigantamax Pokemon, the entirety of the Galar region's Pokedex (and all of its cuts, which turned into a dramatic hashtag campaign on Twitter), all of the new Pokemon and their Galarian forms, and more.

The Pokemon Company International believes that this leak of information has caused "irreparable damages", and by sharing stolen trade secrets, they threatened the value of both major Pokemon titles. A lawsuit has been filed with Perkins Coie LLP, where TPCi is looking to seek compensation for "wrongful conduct", and monetary relief for the damages caused by said leaks. The legal document shows posts from anonymous individuals on 4chan and Discord sharing dozens of screenshots from the guidebook, and though TPCi currently does not know who these four John/Jane Does are, they're actively searching to find out who was behind the Discord account providing the screenshots. Currently, TPCi is looking to issue a subpoena to Discord, in order to get more information on the accounts.

TPCi seeks leave to subpoena Discord, 4chan, and the individual who used the [specified] Discord handle, for identifying information associated with the users that posted the leaked images. TPCi will seek identifying information associated with the images, IP address, email address, secondary or recovery email address, records of session times and duration, and any other identifying information.

:arrow: Source

Tags: [GAME=/game/pok-mon-sword.37382]Pokémon Sword[/GAME] [GAME=/game/pok-mon-shield.115653]Pokémon Shield[/GAME] [COMPANY=/company/the-pokemon-company-international]The Pokémon Company International[/COMPANY]

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, you are in here saying that people should be put in prison and fined for taking pictures of a guide book, yet you still hint that you're gonna beat the living shit out of someone who steals something from you. What would be a good sentence for you? Surely beating someone should have a higher sentence than stealing materialistic things, yes?

Nice way of completely missing everyone's points..

I find it a little bit intriguing how important it is for you to defend money loss (that they can't even prove) for a multi-million dollar company. How is it that you feel more sorry for them than the person not affording bread, or the women and men in #metoo?

I never said people should be put into prison for taking pictures of the guide book. What they are being threatened with is a civil offense. So there's no possibility of jail time. What I said is that people committing felonies by pirating software should be charged and jailed for committing the felonies. Seeings as a felony is a major crime. I also never stated what I would do to anyone that would steal from me. I just stated that after I'm done with them they'd wish they were in jail. I also have no problem for advocating violence when it's necessary. I never stated what I think about the people in #metoo's plight. I simply stated that what they are now going after people for doing was completely acceptable and okay back when it was happening to them. It may or may not have been legal, but just like software pirating a lot of people in society were doing it and no one cared while most authority figures simply looked the other way. It would just be funny if in 10-20 years the next generation places the same amount of value in software that the #metoo movement now places in in women. Seeings as you're advocating for piracy you might end up in jail some day. That would be a suiting end, do you not think?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So we are gonna protect criminal now because Pokemon bad?

Do you think that is an accurate reading of the situation? Leaving aside that this appears to be a civil case (as opposed to a criminal one) and that nobody has been convicted of anything yet

As it stands we saw some people obtain access to a guide book a few weeks ahead of publication. At this point we don't know if it was stolen, was deliberately leaked from people that were under contract or expectation of discretion (publishers, distributors, proof readers, their own employees, translations... that sort of thing) and the lawsuit is throwing around words dealing with the latter despite not showing any kind of evidence of this (nor any being visible -- no watermarks, no obvious hidden camera quality/angles...). Do we know one of those people did not leave it on a train* and this all stem from that? It could also just as easily have been a ROM (the Switch has been blown wide open at this point), review copy of a game and have someone poke around with the insides (how quick did we see save modders swoop in here? How quick have they traditionally moved in? Is it also not the sort of thing a competent reviewer might have noted in the first initial impressions?) but it wasn't here.

*sometimes companies do leave things in bars, trains... as a kind of marketing ploy (new pokemon game... yawn, secret leaked info from new pokemon game... at least 40% more people saying tell me more) and I can think of few better ways to get a nice bit of self contained info out there without leaking the ROM. I would hope they are not abusing courts in this way as it backfired on them here but I have been surprised in the past.

Nintendo or whatever their sock puppet is here alleges the leaks (of true info, presumably officially sourced, though not sanctioned at the time of release for release, at that) caused fewer people to buy the game and thus cost them money (if it is even true then how they will ever manage to generate vaguely accurate numbers for that I do not know), and now want some blood. This is viewed as somewhat dubious -- selections of a work might well still be a measure of copyright infringement (I might make an argument that it is critique of a sort or otherwise newsworthy and thus dodges some of those issues but that is harder) but at this point it is presumably only competing with an official guide (and again only a few pages). While some weeks for a movement to build up steam is nice for said movement to have whether it needs it in the modern world* is a different matter entirely -- just as we have people view films on a Thursday "pre screening" review the thing in their car in the car park outside/into a webcam when they get home, or indeed "live blog" their viewing, and in doing so see others change plans before the "opening" weekend we have people stay up all night and review games (are there really many games you can't get an impression of in a time sensitive reviewer run in about 8-12 hours? Is this one of those and even then would it matter?).

**many years back there was a fairly famous at the time internet film... I guess these days it would be blogger (this was prior to the term gaining any real traction, even among technical people) that often had film scripts, results of pre screenings and production notes "leaked" to them. Some credited him with being able to make or break films prior to launch and the film industry generally hated him and he was in news stories on national news (how I found out about him), he carried on for years though (and possibly still does). This sort of leaking and pre release speculation has happened repeatedly for for years for all sorts of things and I have next to nothing on any kind of legal case, sanctions or similar happening, and all that I do have tends to be dealing with those. I did recall another instance after my last post, and that was Apple going after a blogger a while back when they somehow wound up with some info about a music product (not a new phone, tablet, ipod or anything, just a minor league almost accessory) and Apple got slammed for that one too.

From where I sit the proper way to handle it was either do nothing and enjoy your pile of money or a day one patch (they presumably have all the art, all the data, all the everything already, and presumably just need to add on a few lines to a database, could possibly even have left them out of online if they did somehow care about "competitive"), even if it was not "within their artistic vision" or some nonsense like that.

Sheshomegrown

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Seeings as you're advocating for piracy you might end up in jail some day. That would be a suiting end, do you not think?

I have no idea how all the points keep flying over your head, but no, I am not advocating piracy. I am advocating sane punishments for lawful disorder.

Just because society one time thought that slaves were okay, it doesn't mean it was.

Just because society one time didn't see worth in women, it doesn't mean past behavior was okay.

Just because you think you have the right to do something worse than prison to a person stealing property doesn't mean you're standing above the law either.

Two wrongs does not make one right, and again, it would be great if you stopped comparing women's worth to software sold by multi-million dollar companies.

I just stated that after I'm done with them they'd wish they were in jail. I also have no problem for advocating violence when it's necessary.

This is what I am talking about. Somewhere you think it's okay to use violence on someone, but not to find a way to eat if you can't afford food. And somehow, using violence seems to be way more okay to you than to copy a 60 dollar game. To me that's utter insanity.

Last edited by Sheshomegrown,

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how sword and shield are climbing the sales as one of the highest grossing Pokemon games, maybe the leaks actually built hype for the game and swayed those on the fence about purchasing.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny how sword and shield are climbing the sales as one of the highest grossing Pokemon games, maybe the leaks actually built hype for the game and swayed those on the fence about purchasing.
No mate just a new generation of pokemon fans included with the older generation of pokemon fans :D

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Same shit happened with Sun and Moon, but since those games got mostly positive attention, TPC didn't care much about their shit getting leaked...
Funny how people have shown before the game release that the game was gonna be crap, and TPC is blaming the leakers over it, by saying bs like "they've done us irreparable damage"?
Bitch please, your half assed game has sold like 3 or more billion copies whatever, you've got your wooloos buying your crap no matter the quality, stfu and go die in a hole.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who does this actually help? Literally nobody. The only thing it does is generates animosity and backlash at "The Pokemon Company". It's not about "protecting Intellectual property" it's about getting back at some kids because you're big mad that you as a company failed to prevent a leak from happening in the first place. Pushing a lawsuit against some kids is just a waste of everyones time

Last edited by wiired24,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
. The only thing it does is generates animosity and backlash at "The Pokemon Company".
What nonsense do you really think majority pokemon gamers even care Reading about this-do you really think majority of pokemon gamers even kno who the Pokemon Company is I bet majority of pokemon gamers think just Nintendo make pokemon

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Pokemon games tend to be an incredibly popular topic of discussion, no matter what, but with the dawn of a new generation, where information and unannounced Pokemon are slowly trickled out over months, or even kept secret until launch, fans were going wild with anticipation. This was especially true for Sword and Shield, which had a very contentious pre-release fervor to them. When images of the strategy guide for Pokemon Sword and Shield appeared on the internet, weeks prior to the games' official release, which was on November 15th, they went viral, as users posted them to every nook and cranny of social media and message board. Nintendo themselves even tried to get many sites to take those pictures down, citing the DMCA, to mild success. But by then, everyone had already saved the images and had distributed them even further across the internet.

The content of the leaked strategy guide, which was slated to release a week after Sword and Shield themselves, on November 22nd, included pictures of Gigantamax Pokemon, the entirety of the Galar region's Pokedex (and all of its cuts, which turned into a dramatic hashtag campaign on Twitter), all of the new Pokemon and their Galarian forms, and more.

The Pokemon Company International believes that this leak of information has caused "irreparable damages", and by sharing stolen trade secrets, they threatened the value of both major Pokemon titles. A lawsuit has been filed with Perkins Coie LLP, where TPCi is looking to seek compensation for "wrongful conduct", and monetary relief for the damages caused by said leaks. The legal document shows posts from anonymous individuals on 4chan and Discord sharing dozens of screenshots from the guidebook, and though TPCi currently does not know who these four John/Jane Does are, they're actively searching to find out who was behind the Discord account providing the screenshots. Currently, TPCi is looking to issue a subpoena to Discord, in order to get more information on the accounts.

:arrow: Source

Tags: [GAME=/game/pok-mon-sword.37382]Pokémon Sword[/GAME] [GAME=/game/pok-mon-shield.115653]Pokémon Shield[/GAME] [COMPANY=/company/the-pokemon-company-international]The Pokémon Company International[/COMPANY]

Lmao!! This is honestly sad, tbh. Doing this *now* after the major backlash their sword/shield cruddy game got -sigh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter