The Super Mario Bros. Movie: your opinion

Did you like The Super Mario Bros. Movie?

• Total voters

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The Super Mario Bros. Movie: your opinion
The Super Mario Bros. Movie is a computer-animated adventure film based on Nintendo's Mario video game franchise. Produced by Illumination, Universal Pictures, and Nintendo, and directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, the film features an origin story for the brothers Mario and Luigi, who become embroiled in a battle between the Mushroom Kingdom and the Koopas. The ensemble voice cast includes Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Day, Jack Black, Keegan-Michael Key, Seth Rogen, and Fred Armisen. The film was released on April 5, 2023, and has grossed $445 million worldwide, making it the fourth-highest-grossing film of 2023 and the highest-grossing film based on a video game. The film received mixed reviews from critics, but a more positive reception from audiences.

Have you seen the movie? What did you think about it?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm taking the kids to see it as soon as the stars align (my wonky work schedule and their wonky extracurricular activities and one of the the myriad of plagues they bring from the Petri dish they call "school/kindergarden"...)

And then we're going home and making this out of Play-Doh (or a generic equivalent) because it's adorable and I love it:

wmjDGQs.png

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The real question that Costello is missing is:
"Are you ready for the game adaptation of this movie?"

Yesterday, Thursday, mom, sisters and niece went to the cinema to see it. All of them loved it, and they were quite shocked to know that there'll be a sequel. At this point is well known since Peach mentioned "Other Planets and Galaxies" in a trailer, so, of course there will be a second part featuring Rosalina.

Anyway, I was going to go to watch the movie yesterday, but niece was throwing tantrums before we left and I could see it happening in the cinema and didn't wanted to be there.
Fam said niece behaved (she's 1½ years old) and even recognized mario and other's characters (they mentioned an angel like character that shoot arrows) since she's seen me playing videogames before.
So I'm hoping to see it as soon as possible, but it's not my priority as yesterday prefered to cook dinner instead.

Sounds fun and sure will be seeing it sometime later.

I'm actually very surprised nobody in the entire temp has thrown massive spoilers and I haven't found any in reddit nor YouTube or other sites, so excitement and surprise factor are intact, personally. :yay:

banjojohn

Trophies
XP
Country
The real question that Costello is missing is:
"Are you ready for the game adaptation of this movie?"

Yesterday, Thursday, mom, sisters and niece went to the cinema to see it. All of them loved it, and they were quite shocked to know that there'll be a sequel. At this point is well known since Peach mentioned "Other Planets and Galaxies" in a trailer, so, of course there will be a second part featuring Rosalina.

Anyway, I was going to go to watch the movie yesterday, but niece was throwing tantrums before we left and I could see it happening in the cinema and didn't wanted to be there.
Fam said niece behaved (she's 1½ years old) and even recognized mario and other's characters (they mentioned an angel like character that shoot arrows) since she's seen me playing videogames before.
So I'm hoping to see it as soon as possible, but it's not my priority as yesterday prefered to cook dinner instead.

Sounds fun and sure will be seeing it sometime later.

I'm actually very surprised nobody in the entire temp has thrown massive spoilers and I haven't found any in reddit nor YouTube or other sites, so excitement and surprise factor are intact, personally. :yay:
I wouldn't exactly call it wel known or certain, that there will be another movie. That they tease a sequel in the actual movie has nothing to do with whether or not there will actually be a sequel. That depends entirely on money. Many movies have teased follow-ups, only to be left hanging because of a poor business case.

That said, I do believe there will be a sequel.

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Watched it last friday... It's nice, but nothing out of the ordinary? That's as far as videogame-movie adaption can get. That's all you can expect from a movie based off Super Mario, nothing more, nothing less. If you know the source, It's gonna be alright. I expected "more cringey moments" or many songs considering Universal.

Reactions: RyRyIV

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said my thoughts before, but I'll repost it here:

I enjoyed it for being a great and fun "Mario movie" with tons of references that would make people become the literal Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme. But as a "movie" on its own, I have my own criticisms on it:
The pacing is really fast paced once Mario reaches the Mushroom Kingdom. There's almost no breathing room since it switches to one thing to another so quickly. It felt like the movie needed another 10+ minutes or so. Perhaps add more screentime for Luigi, flesh out more on the adventurous Toad (who basically feels like he does practically nothing throughout the film except near the climax), and maybe a better bond moment with Mario and DK when they were inside that eel. I get that it's a kids movie so moving the scenes quickly from one thing to another would keep their attention a lot more and whatnot, but as a "film" by itself it sort of feels messy and inconsistent at times. Overall, I enjoyed it as a Mario fan and I think it's a must see for every fan out there, but as a standalone film for normies and the like who don't know much about the Mario series, it's sort of a bit difficult to heavily recommend watching.

Of course, I'll still watch their next sequels/spinoffs that they were teasing throughout the film and rumors. Like Peach's origins, mentions of other worlds/galaxies, the Yoshi egg in Brooklyn sewers teaser post-credit scene, rumors of DK spinoff, Charlie interested in a Luigi's Mansion movie, etc.

If I have to give it points, I'd give it a 9/10 as a fan of the series, but critically a 6/10 for a movie in general.

Reactions: Guacaholey

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I won't be watching it in cinemas. I'll wait until it's out in high quality online.
I rarely go to cinemas, and this movie doesn't seem like anything special that would make it worth the hassle and price.
That is unless I get invited to go and I don't have to pay.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For Costello himself to post this survey, you can see this movie release is considered a major event this year, at least on this website. It's missing the option "I haven't watched it yet, but I definitely will later". I chose the closest. I haven't seen a movie at the cinema in decades. Last time, I believe, was to watch Toy Story 2, in 1999. I just don't like watching a movie while being disturbed by noisy neighbours eating their snacks or slurping their drink, or even talking out loud. I know it's part of the experience to share the first time you see a movie with the others around you, but it's an experience I would rather not have. I'll wait until it's available for streaming in good quality, or download a bd-rip, or something. I'm in no rush.

Out of curiosity, how did you vote, Mr.Costello? What did you think of it?

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
As a Mario fan, it's 10/10. So many great references and Easter eggs. If you like Mario, it is absolutely a must see.

For everyone else, 8.5/10. The movie is enjoyable all the way through. The graphics are pretty. The action and voice acting are solid. It moves a little too fast though, and don't expect a plot that makes you think or deep character development. It's not that kind of movie, but it knows what it is and embraces it.

Reactions: KingVamp

Dud

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My sister wants to go to the cinema to see it, but I'm sort of waiting for streaming services (or other sites...) to pick it up. We both liked the first Sonic movie when we watched it from home, so I hope the experience will be similar once we do get to watch it.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh hey, Costello!

As for the movie, the "local" cinema is located in Chatswood, which is way too far away, and besides that it's expensive and you can't pause the movie in order to take a piss or refill your drink or whatever.
Screw the cinema.

I'll wait until it's on YouTube or something - I've already got a few other movies purchased there.
I could use Netflix or Hulu or any of like 10+ streaming platforms, but I'd rather take a one-time purchase cost for an access license (which is essentially what all "digital products" are; they can be revoked by the storefront, either individually or your account getting closed) over a monthly fee for a service I otherwise would never use.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said, the story and pacing could have been more flesh out. We didn't even get a good look at all the places, but it was a fun introductory movie.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was concerned about Mario's voice but Chris Pratt did a good job. However, for me personally, they made a terrible choice for Peach. The deep voice was so jarring.

Still very enjoyable overall, if a bit underdeveloped.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I seen'd it.

I would say it's a perfectly adequate movie. No other way to describe it.

We saw the dubbed version so I can't comment on the performance of Crisp Rat or Jack Black or the rest, our local cast did a great job and I'm happy with the voices and acting.

The movie is very pretty, technically very well done, meticulously crafted, the worlds looks great.

References out the wazoo, of course, both up front and barely noticeable in the background. It's like one of those "can you spot 20 references in this picture" but every single frame. Don't try to turn it into a drinking game, you will die.

The Mario-Peach chemistry was good.

Could have gone without the last 10 minutes though, there was no need for that.

They should have just defeated Bowser in Mushroom Kingdom, get sucked back into the warp pipe, and still be hailed as heroes for saving Brooklyn from the flood. I'm pretty sure the Mushroom Kingdom operates on Narnia time.

So anyway. It is extremely safe, made-by-committee, paint-by-numbers, as is expected from two biggest family friendly companies out there keeping an eye on each other (and we can thank Nintendo for stopping Illumination from the amount of fart jokes they would have no doubt included), so people complaining it's bland do have a point. On the other hand it is well made, it has its moments, and we enjoyed it.

In a word, it's adequate.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Watched it, and loved it, but I just didn't like how fast it moved. There wasn't any real down-time or slow parts, except for one near the end. It definitely could have used a bit more love, but all the subtle and not-so-subtle nods were in there and I grinned through every second of the film, it was GREAT!

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've watched it this Sunday, with my two sons and wife. We loved it. Really nice movie.
An actually really good fan service, and i would say a nice "generation" service too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes you did originally say grilled