The Wii U needs more Homebrew Game Ports. Why are people not making ports for the Wii U and instead the Wii?

BradTheHedgefox12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The point still stands
That doesn't make it relevant.
The Wii U found it's neat success on the homebrew scene a couple years ago for two reasons: COVID pandemic, and it wasn't as sold as the Wii. If it had more market share since the begining, I'm sure a lot of the things we began seeing in 2021 could have been there since 2015, but nobody bought a Wii U at that time.

BradTheHedgefox12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't make it relevant.
The Wii U found it's neat success on the homebrew scene a couple years ago for two reasons: COVID pandemic, and it wasn't as sold as the Wii. If it had more market share since the begining, I'm sure a lot of the things we began seeing in 2021 could have been there since 2015, but nobody bought a Wii U at that time.
fair
Breath of the Wild is on the WiiU, stop complaining.
and most of the mods for it need a very complicated computer program

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
The WiiU being able to run Wii homebrew anyways (with full gamepad support) as well as the WiiU's extra power not being especially useful, particularly when it comes to N64 and PSX emulation where it's only a mild improvement at best to me always spelt doom for the WiiU homebrew scene. Shoutouts to retroarch and PPSSPP though.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What might add up to this is that many developers don't have the skills to write shaders for the GPU in assembly but we still don't have an open source shader compiler (there's rumor that one such compiler exists since a few years but it hasn't been released to the public yet). For porting games you need to utilize the GPUs 3D power through.
People like Gary can do the assembly shader programming and they are indeed doing game ports (but they are also busy with other stuff and do what they feel is right, not what the community dictates).

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Put a complaint into customer services. Maybe something like your not pulling your weight homebrew developers and I don't want to learn... Gimme games!

On top of all of the above answers the simplest one is interest. As in... No one is. You can't make them and posts like this just sound whiny. If it's a big problem for you then be part of the solution.

Reactions: BrokenTape

BradTheHedgefox12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WiiU being able to run Wii homebrew anyways (with full gamepad support) as well as the WiiU's extra power not being especially useful, particularly when it comes to N64 and PSX emulation where it's only a mild improvement at best to me always spelt doom for the WiiU homebrew scene. Shoutouts to retroarch and PPSSPP though.
Can I have the PPSSPP emulator link?
Post automatically merged:

Put a complaint into customer services. Maybe something like your not pulling your weight homebrew developers and I don't want to learn... Gimme games!

On top of all of the above answers the simplest one is interest. As in... No one is. You can't make them and posts like this just sound whiny. If it's a big problem for you then be part of the solution.
I will

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean all the latest decomps of interest ARE getting Wii U ports, and these are by far the most important homebrew releases these days. I mean if you want the hundreds of shovelware and proof-of-concept homebrew apps that made up the Wii's homebrew scene to be natively ported to the Wii U, you can take that upon yourself, though I don't think many will care, especially since they can all so easily be experienced in the vWii, and it's apparently quite easy to add Pro Controller and even GamePad controller support to any given vWii homebrew, so you'll probably never see a giant push for most of these releases to get native Wii U versions. You might have more luck trying to start a movement to integrate Pro Controller and GamePad support into as many Wii homebrew apps as possible.

Reactions: lordelan

BradTheHedgefox12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean all the latest decomps of interest ARE getting Wii U ports, and these are by far the most important homebrew releases these days. I mean if you want the hundreds of shovelware and proof-of-concept homebrew apps that made up the Wii's homebrew scene to be natively ported to the Wii U, you can take that upon yourself, though I don't think many will care, especially since they can all so easily be experienced in the vWii, and it's apparently quite easy to add Pro Controller and even GamePad controller support to any given vWii homebrew, so you'll probably never see a giant push for most of these releases to get native Wii U versions. You might have more luck trying to start a movement to integrate Pro Controller and GamePad support into as many Wii homebrew apps as possible.
I just want some sonic games besides 1, 2, CD, Lost world, and Boom

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want some sonic games besides 1, 2, CD, Lost world, and Boom
You Know Mania was ported to the Wii U through the homebrew scene right?

And then in addition to the native Wii U Sonic games and the other decomp ports you mention, you can use emulators and loaders to play soooooo many Sonic games on a Wii U (to the point where it would be quicker and easier to list the Sonic games the Wii U can't play lol).

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [wakes up, gets a woodie I didn't want, runs up to K3Nv2 and has Cex with him]...