Gaming The xbox 360, just plain depressing

Ame16787

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
[/quote]
I call BS on! The Wii has proven to be able to handle more than the junk they put on it! Games such as No More Heroes, Resident Evil (any of them), and even Super Mario Galaxy has proven that the Wii can be a system for hardcore gamers, these third party companies are just lazy and making that claim so they don't have to put any effort into their games.
[/quote]
yes actually it is true! amen to that!

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
Edhel said:
I have heard of people getting banned for not having a 'proper' official Microsoft hard drive connected to their system, or just having some fan mod installed. Microsoft are just being anal and deem it as modified, thus breaking their TOS.
frown.gif
And when you get banned from the 360, GAME OVER MAN! Done for.

Well if you play on Xbox Live anyway, it still works as a gaming console offline.

Thankfully I don't play online. The only thing that would effect me is the loss of installing games to the hard drive and media playback if my xbox was banned.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I personally say they should start testing games and make sure their not just cashing in on the Wii and putting an honest attempt into their games.

I highly doubt Nintendo cares once they get their cut of loyalties from third party publishers who produce shovelware.
frown.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Edhel said:
Edhel said:
I have heard of people getting banned for not having a 'proper' official Microsoft hard drive connected to their system, or just having some fan mod installed. Microsoft are just being anal and deem it as modified, thus breaking their TOS.
frown.gif

And when you get banned from the 360, GAME OVER MAN! Done for.

Well if you play on Xbox Live anyway, it still works as a gaming console offline.

Thankfully I don't play online. The only thing that would effect me is the loss of installing games to the hard drive and media playback if my xbox was banned.

True, but even though I hate online I still hate how their system works.
It's pretty much why I use the PS3, it has all the same games and the PS3 has LittleBigPlanet!

Posts merged

Ame16787 said:
a certain recent "EA Canada drops wii dev" news rings my bell.......
And that means?

Posts merged
Ame16787 said:

QUOTE(Edhel @ Dec 9 2009, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE(A Gay Little Cat Boy @ Dec 9 2009, 04:02 PM)
I personally say they should start testing games and make sure their not just cashing in on the Wii and putting an honest attempt into their games.

I highly doubt Nintendo cares once they get their cut of loyalties from third party publishers who produce shovelware.
frown.gif
Makes you wonder when Nintendo stopped caring about the games and more about the money, it's sad day when such a humble video game company when on the same dark path as all the others.

Ame16787

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
recently EA Canada ( the ones that made Dead Space) declared there will be no more wii products coming form them since the lack of sales of all their products!!!!

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ame16787 said:
recently EA Canada ( the ones that made Dead Space) declared there will be no more wii products coming form them since the lack of sales of all their products!!!!
Well that's not really shocking to be honest with you. I would move myself to other system if my game wasn't selling on one

Ame16787

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
actually i was trying to relate to the statement you made before regarding crappy developed games but.... anyway..... moving foward.....

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CasperH said:
Doesn't really suprise me, there is a 50% failure rate
Well dong the math with all the things that could go wrong, I would say it's a bit more than 50%

Posts merged

QUOTE(Ame16787 @ Dec 9 2009, 11:16 AM) actually i was trying to relate to the statement you made before regarding crappy developed games but.... anyway..... moving foward.....
Ohhh, sorry I am strange like that, yeah moving on

C

CasperH

CasperH said:
Well dong the math with all the things that could go wrong, I would say it's a bit more than 50%

Posts merged

QUOTE(Ame16787 @ Dec 9 2009, 11:16 AM) actually i was trying to relate to the statement you made before regarding crappy developed games but.... anyway..... moving foward.....
Well, the failure rate at repaired units (which you probably got) are probably much higher
Try to take it to a unofficial repairer, they do it better then Microsoft most of the time.
Also, they are obligated by law to give you a brand new XBOX360 if it breaks more then 5 times after getting repaired
smileipb2.png

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CasperH said:
CasperH said:

Posts merged

Well, the failure rate at repaired units (which you probably got) are probably much higher
Try to take it to a unofficial repairer, they do it better then Microsoft most of the time.
Also, they are obligated by law to give you a brand new XBOX360 if it breaks more then 5 times after getting repaired
smileipb2.png
I did take mine to my cousin who works for Geek Squad who fixed it for me.
And it only broke twice, the second time it failed completely

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what the real stats are, but don't the newly manufactured 360's have a lesser chance of hardware failure (RRoD in particular)?

My good friend has been through both an earlier manuf. 360 and first batch manuf. Elite, both RRoD'ing on him. I've purchased two Arcade 360's recently, one early last year and one earlier this year with no RRoD's.

I heard Jasper mobo's and up should be in the clear for the most part...? (They use less power/wattage?)

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
[M said:
artin]
Not sure what the real stats are, but don't the newly manufactured 360's have a lesser chance of hardware failure (RRoD in particular)?

My good friend has been through both an earlier manuf. 360 and first batch manuf. Elite, both RRoD'ing on him. I've purchased two Arcade 360's recently, one early last year and one earlier this year with no RRoD's.

I heard Jasper mobo's and up should be in the clear for the most part...? (They use less power/wattage?)
Well I guess it really differs because i have a friend who has a first shipment and the thing still works.
And I have a friend with a new one and it died just like mine
So really I have no answers to your questions or anything like that

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
99% of the problems I see with peoples 360s are caused by poor ventilation (sitting it on the floor/carpet or in an enclosed space next to a heater) or using those so called "intercoolers" that do nothing but damage the console.

I have an Elite that was purchased last year and played around the clock due to my L4D addiction and it has zero issues. In fact every 360 I have in the house has never had a RRoD, but I take care of my stuff.

Now my buddy...we got him a 360 for xmas last year. I even gave him extra cash so he could get the Elite instead of the arcade edition. His Ethernet and usb ports are in need of repair, his controllers won't sync anymore so he has to use wired controllers, he has a retarded intercooler on it... His has already had the RRoD once.

The difference is he doesn't take care of his stuff. He hauls that Xbox back and forth between two states, he lets his dad borrow it, he doesn't take his time when setting it up/tearing it down, but he is a kid so I forgive him.
wink.gif

Anyway my point is if you take care of it like your supposed to you should have few problems with a 360. Yes part of it is Microsoft's fault because the thing is prone to overheating but EVERYONE should know this by now and everyone should take precautions to prevent it from happening.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DownSince86 said:
99% of the problems I see with peoples 360s are caused by poor ventilation (sitting it on the floor/carpet or in an enclosed space next to a heater) or using those so called "intercoolers" that do nothing but damage the console.

I have an Elite that was purchased last year and played around the clock due to my L4D addiction and it has zero issues. In fact every 360 I have in the house has never had a RRoD, but I take care of my stuff.

Now my buddy...we got him a 360 for xmas last year. I even gave him extra cash so he could get the Elite instead of the arcade edition. His Ethernet and usb ports are in need of repair, his controllers won't sync anymore so he has to use wired controllers, he has a retarded intercooler on it... His has already had the RRoD once.

The difference is he doesn't take care of his stuff. He hauls that Xbox back and forth between two states, he lets his dad borrow it, he doesn't take his time when setting it up/tearing it down, but he is a kid so I forgive him.
wink.gif

Anyway my point is if you take care of it like your supposed to you should have few problems with a 360. Yes part of it is Microsoft's fault because the thing is prone to overheating but EVERYONE should know this by now and everyone should take precautions to prevent it from happening.
Funny thing I told care of that thing, I already knew all that crap before hand, plus the system cost me over 400$ to buy in the first place (2 years ago, keep that in mind) so I damn well wanted to keep that bad boy going.
Now again taking care of it is the best, but I most note my Snes that I have had my whole life has had go through so much shit and still works fine (the poor thing went through a house fire!). So really the point to my story is that new systems aren't built as tough as old systems, that even though it was kept perfectly safe it still fails.

C

CasperH

DownSince86 said:
wink.gif
That may be but a console should survive that

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
DownSince86 said:

what a load of nonesense

if microsoft wishes to make a console which can only stand operating conditions inside a fridge they really shouldn't have marketed their console outside of iceland.

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
godsakes said:
DownSince86 said:

what a load of nonesense

if microsoft wishes to make a console which can only stand operating conditions inside a fridge they really shouldn't have marketed their console outside of iceland.

You know as well as I do that it isn't THAT bad. What about the PS2 and the disc read error problem? Just about everyone I know had that at one point or another but you rarely heard people bash Sony over the issue. People hate the xbox because they hate Microsoft for whatever reason, simple as that.

I don't really understand a lot of what you guys say. You claim modern consoles should hold up to wear and tear like the SNES, Genesis, and the other cartridge based systems but you forget that these consoles HAD NO MOVING PARTS WHAT SO EVER. They didn't have CPUs and GPUs that would fail because a fan gave up or the works got gunked up by dust because you thought it was a good idea to leave the thing in a room that needs a good dusting. They were built to be children's toys from the start and used second or third generation components as to reduce the price. There was also less reason to rush the product to stores as the market was not the same as the one that exists today.

Sure Microsoft is a fault for some design defects but they have attempted to fix them over the years. They've repaired consoles they legally didn't have to and in a lot of cases sent brand new ones to customers. They've revised the hardware numerous times... They know that they have to keep their customers happy. BTW if the hardware problems are really so bad how come "broken" consoles are begin bought on ebay left and right? It is pretty easy to fix most issues with the hardware if you know how. I've personally sold consoles to people in Russia who repair and re-sell them in their country and they pay huge sums of money just in shipping ($600 USD on shipping alone in some cases). There is obviously a demand for the platform.

That may be but a console should survive that

No piece of hardware is designed to be mistreated like that. If your jamming wired controllers in to the usb port the wrong way, dropping the thing on the ground all of the time because the bag in your hand slipped, or allowing a guy who smokes 24/7 to run the thing for 12+ hours everyday in a dusty room your going to have problems at some point.

Have you ever worked on a smokers computer? Even in the cleanest of houses the inside of that thing will be caked with dust. Now imagine that going on inside of a console that is known to be prone to overheating in the wrong environment.

An Xbox 360 (and PS3 for that matter) is closer to a computer than it is to an old school console. Even the Wii is like that with all the moving parts...how many threads have you seen on this site about broken disc drives and overheating because of wiiconnect24?

IMO it all goes back to Microsoft bashing for the most part. Yes there are 360s out there that have broken for no good reason but it happens a lot less often these days than it did with the models that were available at launch and it doesn't occur any more often than it does with things like HDTVs. Sometimes it takes a few revisions to get things right and as long as you do your existing customers right it shouldn't be a problem. At the same time it isn't Microsoft's responsibility to fix something that was broken because of the customer's mistreatment of the hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu