Another dying Xbox 360 S with Trinity board?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A week ago my Xbox 360 S with Trinity board and RGH3 died with a dead GPU (https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-36...and-rgh3-suddenly-doesnt-boot-anymore.640236/) error code 0101 :(

I bought another one, also with a Trinity board and did the RGH3 mod on it. It played fine for a couple of days and then today the boot animation corrupted (and crash) once. After I rebooted it, it looked ok but I noticed the screen will corrupt and crash again as soon as I slightly tap the console with my hand.

Now an hour later it corrupts and crashes itself if I let it stay at the Aurora screen for about 5 minutes, so it's unplayable now :sad:

Is this also a dying GPU? Am I really out of luck to have this for a second time? :sad:

Attachments

• IMG_20231002_004424276_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231002_004424276_HDR.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230929_215749219_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230929_215749219_HDR.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231002_012741236_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231002_012741236_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230928_204151314_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230928_204151314_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now an hour later it corrupts and crashes itself if I let it stay at the Aurora screen for about 5 minutes, so it's unplayable now :sad:

Is this also a dying GPU? Am I really out of luck to have this for a second time? :sad:
Unfortunately, that does seem incredibly likely, but it could just be the HDMI port. I had something like this happen with my PS3 Slim that was resolved by using component instead of HDMI.

I don't remember if the 360 S still has the AV connector, but if it does, you might plug it in via AV or component and see if it displays properly?

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tested it with a CVBS AV cable and it still crashed 2 times. First time when configuring the video settings, the second time when I tapped the side of the console. If I don't touch it, it seem like sometimes it can run for a while without crashing.

So I think it's not the HDMI port :(

This 360 S was 25 euros, but that's very expensive as it only lasted 2 days... :(

Replacing the GPU/CPU package is out of scope for my as I don't have the BGA equipment for it.

• Sad
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested it with a CVBS AV cable and it still crashed 2 times. First time when configuring the video settings, the second time when I tapped the side of the console. If I don't touch it, it seem like sometimes it can run for a while without crashing.

So I think it's not the HDMI port :(

This 360 S was 25 euros, but that's very expensive as it only lasted 2 days... :(

Replacing the GPU/CPU package is out of scope for my as I don't have the BGA equipment for it.
I'd offer to sell you my spare console but international shipping probably wouldn't make it worth your while. If there's a reputable local game store nearby, it might be worth it to buy from them and pay some markup just so you know you're getting something that's got a higher chance of survival. I'd also offer to fix it but I haven't got the equipment either... My condolences.

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, shipping is too expensive. I've found another local Trinity for €20,-.

There are shops selling Xbox 360 with guarantee, but these are 60-80 euros and the guarantee void when I open it for RGH, so it's not worth the high price.

But I've read somewhere the routing of the RGH wires sometimes can interference and causing screen corrupting or crashes? Maybe I'll give it a last try by resoldering and rerouting the wires. If it still crashes, it's really dead...

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's really dead :( Resolder and reroute the RGH3 wires didn't fix it. Sometimes I can play for an hour, sometimes it just crashes minutes after a boot and refuse to reboot (black screen).

I end up selling it for 15 euros mentioning it probably has a dead GPU and only usable for parts, which makes this console a 10 euros loss within a week. And it's sad because it was one with a glossy case which I liked more :(

Now I bought the 20 euros 360 S Trinity "non-glossy" and RGH3'ed it. I hope I'll have better luck with this one.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol