TheFloW releases new PPPwn kernel exploit for PS4, works on firmware 11.00

dsakjldas.png

TheFlow has done it again--a new kernel exploit has been released for PlayStation 4 consoles. This latest exploit is called PPPwn, and works on PlayStation 4 systems up to official firmware 11.00, with support for 9.00 as well. The exploit was known about for months, and was eventually patched by Sony in a PS4 firmware update for 11.02, after TheFlow reported the vulnerability on HackerOne.

PPPwn is a kernel remote code execution exploit for PlayStation 4 upto FW 11.00. This is a proof-of-concept exploit for CVE-2006-4304 that was reported responsibly to PlayStation.

Supported versions are:

• FW 9.00
  • FW 11.00
  • more can be added (PRs are welcome)
The exploit only prints PPPwned on your PS4 as a proof-of-concept. In order to launch Mira or similar homebrew enablers, the stage2.bin payload needs to be adapted.

The GitHub repository is available linked below, with instructions and further details about the exploit. You can also find important information regarding all PlayStation 4 exploits in the GBAtemp PS4 Exploit Guide.

:arrow: Source

:arrow: PlayStation 4 Exploit Guide

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck finding any PS4 that hasn't been updated to the latest firmware. Sony requires the user to be on the latest firmware in order to play online.

Sheeba-

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck finding any PS4 that hasn't been updated to the latest firmware. Sony requires the user to be on the latest firmware in order to play online.
Haven't used my PS4 pro in months cause of it now is the time I can hack it and I can download my games again

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, a HEN PS3. I installed HEN on a PS3 and while CFW is certainly superior, HEN requires one click and it's done.

But you're right it's not a permanent solution.
I have one of the first ps3's to come out from $ony and I'm worried about bricking it. Is the HEN hack safe to do?

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't used my PS4 pro in months cause of it now is the time I can hack it and I can download my games again
My comment is targeted at those who will be out searching for a used PS4 to purchase that will be on an exploitable firmware.
Post automatically merged:

Literally any in box at the stores?
Oh right. I didn't think of that. I was thinking about a used console purchased on marketplace, ebay, etc.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh, a HEN PS3. I installed HEN on a PS3 and while CFW is certainly superior, HEN requires one click and it's done.

But you're right it's not a permanent solution.

Hopefully only Sony kills both the Vita and the Ps Vita we will get better hacks for both. Well mostly happy with my Vita since standalone Ark 4 can play PSP DLC with no problems. Wish my hacked PS3 didn't overheat so much.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Sheeba-

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully only Sony kills both the Vita and the PSP we will get better hacks for both. Well mostly happy with my Vita since standalone Ark 4 can play PSP DLC with no problems. Wish my hacked PS3 didn't overheat so much.
Vita hacks right now are good nice and easy it won't get any better than what it is right now

Sheeba-

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thermal paste that's long gone.

My PS3 Slim that I've had since 2010ish has become quite noisy and I don't know how to open and replace the thermal paste, so I'll pay someone to do it for me.
Just look up a video it's very easy on the slim I did it myself for my slim and it works great

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah,.......because there're no piracy on Mac OS. Psych! There are. :creep:

I've been tempted but decided against it for now. There is piracy for Mac but Windows has more temptations. Piracy wasn't the only reason, I also was tired of using windows for the past +20 years. I like the Mac, but the only thing I do now is web browse. I still keep an old windows for modding purposes but it is starting to get slow.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not unless you only want to play last gen games. You can get a fairly decent PC for about $700 now. Yes, that's more than a used PS4 Pro. It also does more. Even if you don't pirate games (Just grab repacks for that) they tend to be cheaper on PC anyway. Plus no online subscription.
Correction, yes the same exploit method also works on the PS5, but its going to be slightly different.

This exploit was found in its network driver, by sending the exploit using its network adapter rather than USB, it over hauls on boot so you can inject your plugin, aka GoldHen.

The same exploit method was found on both the PS4 on FW 11.0 and PS5 on FW 8.20

And yes it is definitely worth getting a PS4 Pro, if you plan on playing todays recent games, your going to need a good rig unless you plan on running games at its low end settings, which will look worse than the PS4.

Problem with PC games on Windows ect. Is that they're always poorly optimised, how is it that on a console with already lesser hardware spec than PCs were over 10 years ago, yet its still capable of running todays games which don't look much different to its PC version with newer/better and more expensive hardware.

I cant wait for GH to be updated to support this, means I'll get another great feature that I can do using my STEAM DECK - with this exploit having to run on LINUX, all ill need to grab is a USB adapter that has a LAN port - which I was planning on buying anyway because the adapter I already have (off Amazon) doesn't have enough space between its USB ports in order to insert USB 3.0/C external storage devices (which is its main purpose - so clearly it was a cheap yet over priced piece of China knockoffs, likely found cheaper on AliExpress).

• Wow
Reactions: zfreeman

Deleted member 698398

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Correction, yes the same exploit method also works on the PS5, but its going to be slightly different.

This exploit was found in its network driver, by sending the exploit using its network adapter rather than USB, it over hauls on boot so you can inject your plugin, aka GoldHen.

The same exploit method was found on both the PS4 on FW 11.0 and PS5 on FW 8.20
Did you quote the wrong person? I didn't say anything about that.
And yes it is definitely worth getting a PS4 Pro, if you plan on playing todays recent games, your going to need a good rig unless you plan on running games at its low end settings, which will look worse than the PS4.

Problem with PC games on Windows ect. Is that they're always poorly optimised, how is it that on a console with already lesser hardware spec than PCs were over 10 years ago, yet its still capable of running todays games which don't look much different to its PC version with newer/better and more expensive hardware.
Bro. I have a laptop with a 100W 3050Ti and it runs everything I've tried (yes, including current gen AAA games) at least at medium 1080p. I paid $700 for it on Amazon brand new. Desktops around that price point have even more power. You can absolutely play the latest games at good settings on a $700 rig. Used parts exist too btw.
I cant wait for GH to be updated to support this, means I'll get another great feature that I can do using my STEAM DECK - with this exploit having to run on LINUX, all ill need to grab is a USB adapter that has a LAN port - which I was planning on buying anyway because the adapter I already have (off Amazon) doesn't have enough space between its USB ports in order to insert USB 3.0/C external storage devices (which is its main purpose - so clearly it was a cheap yet over priced piece of China knockoffs, likely found cheaper on AliExpress).
Cool?

Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j