There are only two genders. Change my mind.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There's Pantone and a names for many different shades of blue, red, etc. But I agree I think all these genders is a bit too much. Its too much too memorize, and its something most people wont bother with since the majority of the population straight. Only a minority are gay, trans, and so on. Not enough to spend time to study and memorize like a test just for a few people that think every shade needs a new gender.
yeah the whole idea behind gender is to simplify communication, I can say her over there and if there is 20 guys and one girl you know exactly who I'm referring to, if you try memorizing every possible shade 99% of people wont know what on earth your talking about if you say "see xir over there" suddenly your words are useless and you have to physically point to exactly what person you mean, and even then that depends on you knowing exactly what silly shade the person identifies with else the calls of bigotry and intolerance start, ill just stick to the tried and tested simple terms that make things easier instead of pointlessly complicated

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah the whole idea behind gender is to simplify communication, I can say her over there and if there is 20 guys and one girl you know exactly who I'm referring to, if you try memorizing every possible shade 99% of people wont know what on earth your talking about if you say "see xir over there" suddenly your words are useless and you have to physically point to exactly what person you mean, and even then that depends on you knowing exactly what silly shade the person identifies with else the calls of bigotry and intolerance start, ill just stick to the tried and tested simple terms that make things easier instead of pointlessly complicated
There's virtually no one who will get huffy if you misgender them once (mainly because in today's society no one can AFFORD to, even if they aren't particularly polite to begin with), they'll either roll with it or correct you once or twice. I don't know anyone who would even be too upset if you misgendered them out of habit, so long as you're making an effort and you aren't deliberately doing it maliciously

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a good enough rebuttal.

We were specifically told in university to not use Wikipedia as anyone on this planet can manipulate an article, thus making it inaccurate.

I could jump on there right now if I so wished and change it to read that the difference between genders is one having a tail and the other having external pulmonary organs.
[citation needed]

philo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
it depends on what you define gender as.. if gender is what you "feel" like.. the sky is the limit.. if gender is biological, there's two.. three if you include intersex as a gender.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a good enough rebuttal.

We were specifically told in university to not use Wikipedia as anyone on this planet can manipulate an article, thus making it inaccurate.

I could jump on there right now if I so wished and change it to read that the difference between genders is one having a tail and the other having external pulmonary organs.
When did you attend university? Mine's perfectly fine with students using it as an OVERVIEW source (as in a place to start your research, rather than a final source) because the professors all recognize that Wikipedia is heavily moderated by experts in the given fields, and citations are required for basically any credible information to make it on. "Wikipedia isn't a reliable source!" is either a five-year-old argument or one given by high school teachers who are oversimplifying the essay-writing process

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it depends on what you define gender as.. if gender is what you "feel" like.. the sky is the limit.. if gender is biological, there's two.. three if you include intersex as a gender.
Intersex isn't a gender, it's a mutation of the genome, same way people born with less than 5 fingers or toes aren't seen as a sub-species

Reactions: Soulsilve2010

philo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Intersex isn't a gender, it's a mutation of the genome, same way people born with less than 5 fingers or toes aren't seen as a sub-species

while i agree, there are people who treat "intersex" as a gender..

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When did you attend university? Mine's perfectly fine with students using it as an OVERVIEW source (as in a place to start your research, rather than a final source) because the professors all recognize that Wikipedia is heavily moderated by experts in the given fields, and citations are required for basically any credible information to make it on. "Wikipedia isn't a reliable source!" is either a five-year-old argument or one given by high school teachers who are oversimplifying the essay-writing process
Although heavily moderated it isn't 100% accurate and although we could use Wikipedia we were discouraged because of the possibilities of these inaccuracies.

Any who I'm getting of course, while I appreciate your opinion and respect what you have to say, my own opinion contradicts it. But this is healthy and normal discussion and unlike some on the Internet I refuse to turn into a man child in relation to an exchanging of opinions

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your argument would be more valid if the discussion were of the existence of another species between humanity and a two-fingered species, and the only difference between the two was the number of fingers

Reactions: yusuo

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your argument would be more valid if the discussion were of the existence of another species between humanity and a two-fingered species, and the only difference between the two was the number of fingers
This was but an example, there are a large list of human defects that if one wished could be interpreted as an additional (enter classification here)
However if those who wish to identify as intersex wish to clarify themselves as a separate gender who am I to argue otherwise

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although heavily moderated it isn't 100% accurate and although we could use Wikipedia we were discouraged because of the possibilities of these inaccuracies.
I understand what you're saying, but that's addressed in the Wikipedia page I linked, wherein an IBM study stated that while controversial articles are subject to vandalism (of which I'd argue the page I linked is one), those pages in particular have an incredibly low turnaround rate for corrections

Any who I'm getting of course, while I appreciate your opinion and respect what you have to say, my own opinion contradicts it. But this is healthy and normal discussion and unlike some on the Internet I refuse to turn into a man child in relation to an exchanging of opinions
I appreciate that, and I respect the opinions of everyone who's opinions don't directly affect the safety or comfort of others; you have the right to an opinion, so long as you don't go starting an argument with someone who is either transgender or non-binary about what you feel their gender SHOULD be

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand what you're saying, but that's addressed in the Wikipedia page I linked, wherein an IBM study stated that while controversial articles are subject to vandalism (of which I'd argue the page I linked is one), those pages in particular have an incredibly low turnaround rate for corrections

I appreciate that, and I respect the opinions of everyone who's opinions don't directly affect the safety or comfort of others; you have the right to an opinion, so long as you don't go starting an argument with someone who is either transgender or non-binary about what you feel their gender SHOULD be
Ahh no man, each to their own, like I said on my previous post if a person identifies as x and it makes them happy having that identify who am I to tell them they're wrong

Last edited by yusuo,

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know anyone who would even be too upset if you misgendered them out of habit, so long as you're making an effort and you aren't deliberately doing it maliciously
My irl friends have been known to do this occasionally, usually they apologize and we laugh it off. I don't ever mind as long as you don't deliberately continue or do it with malicious intent.
(It's worth noting at this point that I am not nonbinary so I'm not talking about that specifically, just felt to need to mention this relating to this quote. In case I never mentioned it, I'm a transgirl.)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My irl friends have been known to do this occasionally, usually they apologize and we laugh it off. I don't ever mind as long as you don't deliberately continue or do it with malicious intent.
(It's worth noting at this point that I am not nonbinary so I'm not talking about that specifically, just felt to need to mention this relating to this quote. In case I never mentioned it, I'm a transgirl.)
I'd say it applies equally to you as anyone else, I wasn't referring to any one orientation in particular

Reactions: Seriel

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Non-binary genders are not a modern invention, the idea if third genders or non binary genders are really as old as human civilization bc gender is subjective as well as a social construct and as such peoples ideas of gender have changed over time. For example in mosopotamian mythology, among the earliest written record of humanity there are references to types of people who are not men and not women, a third gender if you will
If you are genuinely interested in this topic tho I here's some articles I would love for you to read
https://www.newstatesman.com/future...osomes-story-century-misconceptions-about-x-y
This first article will go over the science over the chromosomes you keep talking about and inform you of the complexity of chromosomes in nature that will take you past what high school would teach you
http://www.theplaidzebra.com/scienc...lank-slates-and-gender-is-merely-a-construct/
this next article delves into the science your brain
Again, if you're really interested in the topic I'd recommend reading these articles that are backed up with many sources (there's hotlinks on the articles that take you to the sources like any other scholarly article) I'd love to hear your thoughts once you finish reading them maybe?? They're all based on scientific studies, recent ones at that with credible sources

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, it isn't like all these genders, serious or not, are recognized by official papers. If we have to have a 3rd official gender, I would be fine with "intergender" for intersex people.

A lot of transgender individuals do hormone replacement therapy, which effectively slowly alters their sex over time. It's obviously not DNA resequencing or anything, but it's kind of a mid-way point for the time being. Either way it's a very effective way to pass as the opposite gender, regardless of what your biological birth sex was
Not to be that guy, but uh... I already know about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch