Things you recently bought or got

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just gotten a Compaq SLT 386s/20.
Found the thing some 2 months ago at work during cleaning, decided I was gonna keep it after discussing it with colleagues.

Thing was a little dirty but some demineralised water and a soft rag did a heap of magic already.
Next up is a way to get the RTC working again and to install a fresh copy of MS-DOS & Win 3.11.

View attachment 380387
Pic is not mine but it's the exact same machine.
Oh wow, that's a really nice vintage laptop you got.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh wow, that's a really nice vintage laptop you got.

I must say that for a 33 year old laptop, the thing is in a remarkable nick.
Only a few scuffs and no perished rubber keyboard chord.

Thing also booted up without an issue, RTC being dead meaning the thing won't boot into the HDD but regardless of that, it sprung to life like nothing has happened to it.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thing also booted up without an issue, RTC being dead meaning the thing won't boot into the HDD but regardless of that, it sprung to life like nothing has happened to it.
Upgrade the HDD with a CompactFlash card. :)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just gotten a Compaq SLT 386s/20.
Found the thing some 2 months ago at work during cleaning, decided I was gonna keep it after discussing it with colleagues.

Thing was a little dirty but some demineralised water and a soft rag did a heap of magic already.
Next up is a way to get the RTC working again and to install a fresh copy of MS-DOS & Win 3.11.

View attachment 380387
Pic is not mine but it's the exact same machine.
But will it play Crysis?

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Would the rtc be a battery? If so I hope the damage isn't that bad. Battery corrosion is a bitch to fix.

I remember couple of gameboy colors that I had to throw out cause the corrosion was so bad, that to fix them I would have to replace like 80% of the motherboard, more if any of the chips were also damaged.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Would the rtc be a battery? If so I hope the damage isn't that bad. Battery corrosion is a bitch to fix.

I remember couple of gameboy colors that I had to throw out cause the corrosion was so bad, that to fix them I would have to replace like 80% of the motherboard, more if any of the chips were also damaged.

It's a Dallas DS1287 RTC chip.
No corrosion, already had it opened up.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I went from one Canadian copy to three in record time.

1687938418393.png

Fun Harvest Moon DS fact of the day: despite the box containing French text for the Canadian version, there is no French language option available in the game. It's just the US ROM with a different sticker.

Poor French Canadians. They'd have to import the EU game.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fun Harvest Moon DS fact of the day: despite the box containing French text for the Canadian version, there is no French language option available in the game. It's just the US ROM with a different sticker.

Poor French Canadians. They'd have to import the EU game.
That makes no sense. In most cases localization/translation to various languages is done before releasing the game in any region (other than in the times of SNES). I've never understood how they could provide a European version with (most often) five languages… and not include them in the US region.

Almost all people there will use English, granted, but come on… leaving out options without technical reasons? French for Canada and Spanish for Mexico would be the minimum. The five languages for DS games almost always exist and more often than not the used ROM chip isn't filled to the brim.
😡

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Canadian gundam( one of the online Gundam stores I buy from) has a canada day sale going on right now.

So I ordered a MG 00 QAN[T] Full Saber and a MG Gundam F91 Ver.2.0 from them. With the coupon code I got essentially the F91 for half price.

So I would be getting next week, from them, 2 Dragon Ball z kits, 7 Gundam Kits(1 full Mechanics, 1 entry grade and 5 master grade) and some paints.

Also my friend was going to give me some free tickets to AEW for tonight(the 29th).
He works at the venue and they apparently didn't sell enough tickets to fill it up, but unfortunately I couldn't go cause it was last minute. If he had let me know a couple of weeks ago, I could have got the day off work.

Last edited by dragonblood9999,
Reactions: impeeza

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ryzen 5 5600. I don't have a new mobo or RAM but those will come later.
I absolutely need to upgrade as i'm on a 13 year old CPU with 6 cores that cannot hold up anymore today.

Oh and also my monitor that came with my PC, 13 years ago died so i got a Koorui 165hz monitor to replace it and it was crazy cheap at 135$

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Race 07 and Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive are on discount on Steam and I'll be buying them. :)

Still playing CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect which I really enjoy (kind of an average PS2 TPS game, I know) and surprisingly it has a lot of story missions. I'm on the 8th, and there's 18 or so left.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far