• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

TikTok "challenges" just get stupider, dumber, and even more dangerous

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh my god, the ding and dash is almost as old as me :rofl2:

Not to defend these stupid pranks, but what kind of psycho shoots someone for knocking? Shouldn't we be blaming those who actually pull this crap?

Also, people have been doing stupid stuff long before TikTok. Claiming that the website is the problem is stupid, because the real problem here is parents not being around to teach kids that stuff like ding and dash, eating tide pods, dancing on train tracks are all stupid activities.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There might be some merit to the theory that it was designed to destabilize the country. Maybe teens are just idiots. Maybe it's because in the USA the juvenile "justice" system provides no legal consequences for this kind of behavior. Maybe it's all of the above.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think the one where you have to knock someone out in the street is more dangerous for both participants.
Or the one with the drive-by shooting.
I think both cost a few lives already.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not to defend these stupid pranks, but what kind of psycho shoots someone for knocking? Shouldn't we be blaming those who actually pull this crap?

Also, people have been doing stupid stuff long before TikTok. Claiming that the website is the problem is stupid, because the real problem here is parents not being around to teach kids that stuff like ding and dash, eating tide pods, dancing on train tracks are all stupid activities.
Banging hard on the door is more than just "knocking." If that was it, no problem, no threat of danger, but someone banging or kicking the door puts people in fear.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Somone baneged on my door already 3 years ago
and then they ran away. Maybe it has something to do with that

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Banging hard on the door is more than just "knocking." If that was it, no problem, no threat of danger, but someone banging or kicking the door puts people in fear.
Come on, knock and run happens everywhere since forever, and since forever we had kids knocking hard, or pretending that there was an emergency outside or whatever.
The difference is that the parents had no clue about that before but now can watch the video. That's why the mother on interview is scared.
And yes, internet made stupid pranks looks even more dumb, but that's all.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on, knock and run happens everywhere since forever, and since forever we had kids knocking hard, or pretending that there was an emergency outside or whatever.
The difference is that the parents had no clue about that before but now can watch the video.
Okay.

But they're playing stupid games so they're bound to win stupid prizes.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It does seem to encourage a lot of really shitty trends, like berating and attacking McDonald's employees for no fucking reason. Another one that's apparently come back around is tanning your perineum (taint), though that seems mostly harmless by comparison, and it's somehow been a thing a couple times before the advent of TikTok.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What kind of functioning adult would answer to "banging on the door" by shooting? Shouldn't we be addressing *that* problem?

It's like telling kids that they shouldn't go play at the park anymore because there might be owners of poorly trained/downright abused pitbulls and therefore it's the kids' fault if they get mauled.

By the way, now that I remember, all the instances shown in the video (and the memes) come from banging the door of college rooms. Pretty sure you can't just bring a gun in college.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of functioning adult would answer to "banging on the door" by shooting? Shouldn't we be addressing *that* problem?

It's like telling kids that they shouldn't go play at the park anymore because there might be owners of poorly trained/downright abused pitbulls and therefore it's the kids' fault if they get mauled.

By the way, now that I remember, all the instances shown in the video (and the memes) come from banging the door of college rooms. Pretty sure you can't just bring a gun in college.
Banging on the door hard doesn't sound like it's anyone friendly or with good intentions and there have been home invasions so it makes this stupid "challenge" even worse.

If TikTokers want to play moronic games, then they can't complain what comes to them.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, It's dumb and may trigger a very bad reaction. My point is just that prank is older than TikTok. Not that I like that shit. My kids are not allowed to use it for example.
YouTube pranksters deserved the punishment that some of them got and even still, it wasn't enough:

This is what TikTok pranksters can expect.

kupo-on-gbatem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm glad to grown up in times without instagram and tiktok. Not sure though, if I should forbid my kids to use it. On the one hand I don't want them to get ruined by social media, on the other hand I don't want to give other kids to bully them for not having tiktok etc.
oof..

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm glad to grown up in times without instagram and tiktok. Not sure though, if I should forbid my kids to use it. On the one hand I don't want them to get ruined by social media, on the other hand I don't want to give other kids to bully them for not having tiktok etc.
oof..
The kind of kid that would bully other kids for not having a Tiktok account would have already forgotten about it the next day.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This reminds me of the eating tide pod 'challenge' on YouTube years back, and years before then weren't kids doing stupid shit like choking each other - the blackout 'challenge'. These dumb 'challenges' will exist with or without social media, though it wouldn't surprise me if social media speeds up the spread and intensity of them. People will always be chasing internet clout.

Reactions: City

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

How old are you? :P
I did that stuff as a kid nearly 40 years ago (not often, but ey... The whole neighborhood did it) , and I'm fairly sure my dad pulled it off when he was my age. Dutch phrase is'belletje trek', btw. :)

@Marc_LFD : you know you really sound like an old fart shouting "damn kids" and "get off my porch", right?
It's not that i don't see your point, but jeez... Why aren't kids allowed to be kids anymore?

Reactions: City

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
How old are you? :P
I did that stuff as a kid nearly 40 years ago (not often, but ey... The whole neighborhood did it) , and I'm fairly sure my dad pulled it off when he was my age. Dutch phrase is'belletje trek', btw. :)

@Marc_LFD : you know you really sound like an old fart shouting "damn kids" and "get off my porch", right?
It's not that i don't see your point, but jeez... Why aren't kids allowed to be kids anymore?
Vlaming eh?

Reactions: Taleweaver

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna lie, TikTok is problematic to say the least.

I do feel like this is more of a "knee-jerk reaction to a viral trend" type of video that media loves to post though.

I'm sure the threatened kid was likely scared shitless, and that will be an important lesson, but this is just another "tide pods" thing to where the actual issue is blown up to extreme proportions. It reminds me of the "faith hilling" episode of south park. People are getting hurt yes, but it's significantly blown out of proportion by common media and fear mongering.

Talk to you kids, make sure they're not stupid enough to fall for a dangerous trend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol