• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

TikTok "challenges" just get stupider, dumber, and even more dangerous

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
Not gonna lie, TikTok is problematic to say the least.

I do feel like this is more of a "knee-jerk reaction to a viral trend" type of video that media loves to post though.

I'm sure the threatened kid was likely scared shitless, and that will be an important lesson, but this is just another "tide pods" thing to where the actual issue is blown up to extreme proportions. It reminds me of the "faith hilling" episode of south park. People are getting hurt yes, but it's significantly blown out of proportion by common media and fear mongering.

Talk to you kids, make sure they're not stupid enough to fall for a dangerous trend.
It's worse than problematic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-asked-tiktok-for-stealth-propaganda-account

It's actively degenerating society for Chinese takeover.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Imagine being a shitpost eater for decades, letting your brain rot to deepfried "memes" and other low effort trash, then look at kids watching the same shitposts on a different platform and suddenly "TikTok is destroying a generation". Ok.

Some of you can't hold a normal conversation in real life without throwing around shitposts like it's the fucking internet's trashcan. People shouting MY NAME'S JEFF, or I'M GAY, or t-posing, I've seen it all.

And now the same people are bitching that TikTok is destroying a generation. Right.

This generation is as fucked as the previous one.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It dangerous and they shouldn't be doing this, but someone instantly shooting someone before even figuring out if it just someone you know messing around or any other explanation, seems a bit drastic.

Reactions: mituzora

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worse than problematic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-asked-tiktok-for-stealth-propaganda-account

It's actively degenerating society for Chinese takeover.

Oh, I'm aware it's worst than problematic, hence the "problematic to say the least" statement.

I personally do not have a tiktok, nor will I get one. However, I will argue that TikTok is no more dangerous to all of the other things that "warped generations' brains" that have come out.
Imagine being a shitpost eater for decades, letting your brain rot to deepfried "memes" and other low effort trash, then look at kids watching the same shitposts on a different platform and suddenly "TikTok is destroying a generation". Ok.

Some of you can't hold a normal conversation in real life without throwing around shitposts like it's the fucking internet's trashcan. People shouting MY NAME'S JEFF, or I'M GAY, or t-posing, I've seen it all.

And now the same people are bitching that TikTok is destroying a generation. Right.

This generation is as fucked as the previous one.
100 percent lol. was going to respond, but you beat me to it, and you essentially covered all the points I was going to.

I'm not gonna argue that tiktok has it's issues, because it absolutely does, but it's no worse than whatever other "mind warping" platform has come out of the wood works. I do take issue with it's supposed data mining though. I have problems with that with every social media platform though

Need I remind some of you how pokemon was initially portrayed as a mind-warping thing killing generations from Japan?

I personally will not make a TikTok, but not because of fear mongering; I just don't want to waste my time watching clips of videos all day more than I already do with Youtube.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It dangerous and they shouldn't be doing this, but someone instantly shooting someone before even figuring out if it just someone you know messing around or any other explanation, seems a bit drastic.
It really is drastic, but that's what fear mongering gets. without trying to go too far into "the media ruins everything" argument, when you have "news" segments only reporting on the crime and bad in your area, you tend to get super paranoid.

I know someone close to me who couldn't stop watching the news so much that now, they are borderline agoraphobic because of all the "evil" they hear about on the news. It started with "oh be careful out there" and went to full on locking their screen door, their main door, hunkered down in a room without windows listening to the police scanner. I'm sure there are other reasons why this person went off the rails like this, but I believe that a large catalyst was the amount of fear mongering there is in our regularly consumed "news" programs

edit in attempt to chain my point to this thread: Someone like this person is someone who I would see arming themselves with a weapon and threatening to shoot people over knocking on a door. it's a slippery slope of constantly being told that you're in peril by mass media

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ugh... I just now watched the entire clip. So really...

It's an april fool's joke, right? Like... You can't parody this shit.

Well... Apparently some members here can, but the network? They're just taking the piss of over anxious parents for some reason. Nothing's even happened, but ey... No need for reality to kick in. No need to hear both sides(unless you count 0.5 seconds of a kid's hands apologizing). Not even questioning the impact on anyone over anything. Just a random mom that's afraid someone's going to shoot a gun straight through his/her front door and into their kids (no, I'm NOT kidding).

Jesus Christ. Can someone please tell that poor women she needs better coping skills for her anxiety? Her neighbors aren't murderous psychopaths

A camera crew portraying a stupid app as the culprit isn't helping.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna be honest, I cannot look at this thread in any other way than the OP going "oh god please let kids get shot." It's in almost every reply.

YouTube pranksters deserved the punishment that some of them got and even still, it wasn't enough:

This is what TikTok pranksters can expect.

Banging on the door hard doesn't sound like it's anyone friendly or with good intentions and there have been home invasions so it makes this stupid "challenge" even worse.

If TikTokers want to play moronic games, then they can't complain what comes to them.
Okay.

But they're playing stupid games so they're bound to win stupid prizes.
Like, bro??? Are you okay???

Reactions: KingVamp

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Instagram, twitch any of those is any better?
Not really, considering a lot of TikTok trash has bled into all of those platforms as well. I can't go on ANY social media site now without seeing TikTok videos, it's super annoying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol