Hacking Title Updates vs. System Updates

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi.

I e-mail the guy who recently RGHed my XBOX 360 about whether or not I can play original games onto it through the game disc the old-fashioned way. He said "yes," but to "never update," which leads me to a question: what's the difference between title updates and system updates?

I know, I know, title updates have something to do with the game itself while system updates have something to do with the XBOX 360 system and its XBOX Live component. Functionality-wise, is there a difference? When I ask this, I mean, will title updates have the same chances to brick the system the same way system updates can, according to the guy who modded my XBOX 360 system? How safe is it to use a title update?

Now, I know that most games come with a System Update, and System Updates are needed for XBOX Live. I also recall that System Updates are offered when I put the disc in the drive when I start the system up. If I don't use XBOX Live, as I don't prefer it, do I really need to apply it?

I am not asking for someone to hold my hand, but I would like a clue on this topic. Anything you have to put on the discussion, please feel free to do so.

Thank you.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Title updates can be downloaded from Xbox Unity.
They fix bugs and add various things in games.

You can use 360 content manager to copy them to the 360 via FTP.

System updates aren't needed anymore, I take it yours is on the latest dash?

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After peeking through a game's RGH file, and an XBOX360 ISO file, I realised that there is a curious folder that is named "$SystemUpdate." If I delete this, would it be wise to conclude that there won't be any more prompts to flash the SystemUpdate as well?

I would assume so; it's only a few weeks ago that i took my XBOX360 to the modder.

I would require time to get back to you on that one.

Until then, I'll bookmark this thread.

Do answer this question though: can title updates potentially "brick" an XBOX 360?

EDIT: Sorry for triple-posting, anyway.

Last edited by RobertX,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dashlaunch applies a patch that requires any system update file to name $$ystem update rather than $System update, so no disc or file will trigger an update prompt.

Edit: If you're being prompted to update, you should probably turn this patch on in Dashlaunch

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, if you use Aurora (an optional dashboard for hacked consoles) you can log into your wi-fi and many title updates are available for download through their server. Title updates are perfectly fine. They go into a specific folder depending on the game, in the 0000000000000000 folder. You'll learn the file structure as you play around with it.

Last edited by brickmii82,

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you're saying this "patch" will find $$ystemUpdate in order to upgrade, fully-knowing that all System Update files just use $SystemUpdate, thereby purposefully skipping the update.

Cool. What is the name of the patch?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Updater:
When enabled, XAM is patched to look for updates at "$$ystemUpdate." If enabled, Dash Launch prevents updates from booting off a CD, USB, or game, unless the $systemupdate folder is named $$ystemUpdate.

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since the XBOX 360's founding, has there ever been a case where a retail XBOX 360 game has a folder called $$ystemUpdate?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I’m aware of. But with the pirated content floating around, I suppose someone could troll by renaming the file to $$ystem update

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In that case, I'll check every downloaded stuff I get. Just remember:

I am not a crook.

EDIT: Does the folder name $$ystemUpdate have any significance when the developers made the hack, or was that name arbitrary?

EDIT: And another thing too: I've happened to come upon a site that contradicts you, brickmii82, and it is about the noupdater patch.

Code:
https://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/3228-dashlaunch-312/

This version of dash launch contains an update blocker that is enabled by
default. There are two ways around this if you wish to install the bits and
pieces used by the dash for kinect and avatars

1 - place the updater that matches this version on removable media, and

rename the folder from $SystemUpdate to $$ystemUpdate

----OR----

2 - place an ini where dash launch can find it and set the noupdater option

to false - noupdater = false <--------------- here lies the contradication

Last edited by RobertX,

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure you have a RGH system? From the modders reply it sounds more like you have a disk drive firmware mod and are still using the original MS dash?

Last edited by Razor83,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, modifying game data will cause the game not to boot on a cfw dvd drive. I'm not sure if this includes the system update folder, but the security of the game will have been broken if if extract the data.

if you have a NAND backup, you can tell how the system was hacked. though, to get that far should be know anyway. ;) you can also scan for xex menu in your games' list. it's read as a demo.iirc

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To Razor:

No, my friend, I do have an RGH system.

The reason I mentioned discs was inspired by a what-if scenario that is inspired by me buying a retail disc and putting it on my 360.

My modder told me that it is possible, I just have to keep my eye on my hands, my controller, and the TV screen such that I don't mess up and brick the console lest by way of a System Update.

Last edited by RobertX,

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just delete the folder, its not needed.
Tittle updates only effect the game they are for and do nothing to the system itself, These are fine to use.

System updates tho are for the system itself and need to be patched to work with any modded console, i don't know how this process works since i don't have any modded retails but iirc there is a tool for it.

You shouldn't have to worry tho since any recent RGH job should already come with what is likely the last dash update anyway.

EDIT: oh right and yes normal discs will run fine.

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
System updates tho are for the system itself and need to be patched to work with any modded console, i don't know how this process works since i don't have any modded retails but iirc there is a tool for it.

Would you advise that I turn on noupdater on the Dashlaunch?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't recall which option to block system updates, but you may want to check which kernel you're on. I think 1726 is the latest. you can get it from system settings, dashlaunch, or the dev list.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't recall which option to block system updates, but you may want to check which kernel you're on. I think 1726 is the latest. you can get it from system settings, dashlaunch, or the dev list.
I told him the option. I told him what the description in Dashlaunch is. I told him the difference between the title updates and system updates along with everyone else. At this point I have no idea where he wants to go with this thread.
C6D3504A-5206-4C49-9C85-C54E2ABEA0FC.jpeg

But wtf do I know?

Reactions: godreborn

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sorry, brickmii82, but I was just asking for more clarification; I was trying to talk to anyone who posts, I'll just f**k off onw.

Last edited by RobertX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive...