Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

KRFP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Alright, thanks.

Now, whether to spend €240 on a new orange/black N3DSXL with no guarantee of IPS screens, or €165-200 on a used Hyrule N3DSXL with a single or dual-IPS...

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi all!

Are these screens IPS or TN?

Thank you.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You didn't post any pics of it turned to the side, so we can't really help you. Just run a Homebrew app that shows you the system specs, it will say if it has TN or IPS screens.

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: SirNapkin1334

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In addition to taking pictures from the side, it's also helpful if they're taken in a dark room.

But, screeninfo.3dsx is the best way to tell.

3DSident also works, but gives a bunch of extra information that's rarely needed.

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Use the homebrew app called 3dsident, that will tell you about the screens or you can takr side picture of your 3ds. If the screen become white-ish then it is TN. Is that a SNES edition new 3ds xl btw?

Yes it is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok this is a different console.. can you tell me the screens are TN or IPS? I can't use homebrew on these because aren't mine and i want to buy one. Especially a dual ips snes edtion one.

32835922_2134678489880576_8582656091312095232_n.jpg 32787164_2134680306547061_4418062020776034304_n.jpg 32810458_2134680953213663_1448591283806273536_n.jpg

Last edited by Cava,

hyprskllz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yes it is.

Ok this is a different console.. can you tell me the screens are TN or IPS? I can't use homebrew on these because aren't mine and i want to buy one. Especially a dual ips snes edtion one.
looks TN for me, as the gradation's pretty visible.

Reactions: Cava

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes it is.

View attachment 123892 View attachment 123893 View attachment 123894

Unfortunately, they are dual TN screens(white-ish)especially if observed on the 3rd pic. I really love the SNES model too! But rumour says that SNES models are mostly if not all consist of TN screens and devoid of IPS screens. If you want the highest chance of dual ips, you should look for hyrule or FE(mine is dual ips). Even these are uncertain though so beware and good luck!

Akorax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes it is.

View attachment 123892 View attachment 123893 View attachment 123894
Sometimes it's difficult to tell. Se my run on it on page 20 in this thread. But looks TN to me. Serial number can also be an indicator on which screen type it is, though more data needs to be collected for that to be realiable for more common models of the 3DS.

Arch Feline

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just opened my 3DS XL and started set up. I get the message that super stable 3D is not working properly and I am being careful to keep my head in the frame. Does this mean I should try to get a refund?

ClementNerma

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
For my part it's a little weird.

I have an Old 3DS XL which is told to be a double TN by 3DSidentGUI, but the colors don't get washed or reverted when I look at a near-to-180 degrees angle.

But more strange, I also bought a few days ago a New 2DS XL. It's also a double TN, but the screen displays more yellow colors. Putting the two consoles side by side, the difference is really important. I thought it could have a problem, so I returned it to the shop but they compared to another model they had (brand new) and told me it was the same. Another vendor I shown the console too did notice the difference even without comparing the consoles side by side.

Today I bought a New 3DS XL (the New 2DS XL didn't satisfy me) and I have a double IPS panel, so of course the colors are better. But still, between two consoles who have a double TN panel, one is far better from the other...

Any idea of why this happens ?

(I don't post photos here because my camera is too bad to show the differences between the screens)

Last edited by ClementNerma,

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are wide variances of colour temp calibration in both TN and IPS panels and on individual 3DS units. Older machines - in my experience - tend to have panels that are better calibrated to eachother - but the quality of the panels themselves can be showing their age. TN panels that exhibit IPS-like characteristics may just be better quality modern panels than the ones Nintendo were able to source originally..?

ClementNerma

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
I think this is due to the calibration, because my Old 3DS XL (double TN) which is four year-old (or something like this) shows a far better quality than my New 2DS XL (double TN too) I bought 2 days ago. Besides, my New 3DS XL (double IPS) is a little better than my Old 3DS XL but that's not the same quality difference than between my New 3DS XL and my Old 2DS XL... So maybe the time impacts the screens on some units but that's not the case for my consoles...

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
For my part it's a little weird.

I have an Old 3DS XL which is told to be a double TN by 3DSidentGUI, but the colors don't get washed or reverted when I look at a near-to-180 degrees angle.

But more strange, I also bought a few days ago a New 2DS XL. It's also a double TN, but the screen displays more yellow colors. Putting the two consoles side by side, the difference is really important. I thought it could have a problem, so I returned it to the shop but they compared to another model they had (brand new) and told me it was the same. Another vendor I shown the console too did notice the difference even without comparing the consoles side by side.

Today I bought a New 3DS XL (the New 2DS XL didn't satisfy me) and I have a double IPS panel, so of course the colors are better. But still, between two consoles who have a double TN panel, one is far better from the other...

Any idea of why this happens ?

(I don't post photos here because my camera is too bad to show the differences between the screens)
Its probably the White Balance closer to a warmer yellowish side. I noticed this too when I went from a 3DS to a 3DS XL. Its not really a big deal. Its just the color of White, (and how much mixture of RGB is in it), and your eyes will adjust really quickly and you won't notice a difference.

3DS XL screen is still way too blue compared to my computer screen which is even yellower. And my computer screen has accurate colors. I used to seeing even Yellower screens since thats an industry standard for accurate colors for movies. But alone without comparing screens your eyes will adjust quickly.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo