Hacking to buy a g6?

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never been happy with my G6 since I got it.

I've had problems with the buggy software. Sometimes it crashes on me randomly and corrupts my entire card, I often have had to reformat the card through their nonsense proprietary utility (which seems to do who knows what, because the cart appears to be in FAT format)

The same system is absolutely ridiculous. It creates three save files, .1, .2, and .3. Plus, short filenames are used and it doesnt name files based on header information. So lets say you have the three castlevania GBA games on your cart... well, depending on how you add them to the cart they'll correspond to different castle~1.1 files. There's no reason they cant read rom headers.

The button, what is with the button? I've never, ever had to use it, yet I apparently almost always accidentally had it pressed down and it killed my battery. Nonsense.

Their software is not often updated, and they have a "contact us" page from which I have requested many reasonable features such as drag and drop, I never received a response from them.

Different versions of the loader back up roms and .sav files differently. I lost GBA saves I've had for years because I updated them with new .1 files which the new loader could not even read.

I have not experienced it with the newest version of the GBA loader, but I also haven't seen it in the update log, but on the previous version of the GBA loader it used a graphical interface where there were thumbnails for each rom, except that some rom files would make the entire rest of the screen unreadable garbage data, making the interface unusable.

The GBA loading time is ridiculous. I have an old EZFA and it can load files immediately, I dont understand why it takes 10 seconds to load a 32Mb file.

I cannot recommend a G6. I have fought with it to get it to work, I've had it since the first shipment from kicktrading. I cannot recommend the M3 simply because it has anything to do with this ridiculous and clunky product.

I am currently looking at replacing my G6 with an EZ4.

typical g6 newb. i was like that too when i got mine. UPDATE THE FIRMWARE and you get one save file, that u can back up to others if u wish. u can also put commercial nds games in the nds slot and backup saves to the g6 FROM THE g6 ITSELF! it is amazing, and only people who use it oob dont like it.

o yeah. g6 gba saving = amazing. the software to write roms adds a patch to the roms that allows instant saving whenever, wherever you want. its so sick!

fuctfuct

Trophies
Website
www.derp.cum
XP
Country
Canada
o yeah. g6 gba saving = amazing. the software to write roms adds a patch to the roms that allows instant saving whenever, wherever you want. its so sick!
Sounds nice.

So basicly...

-ALL DS roms are compatible?
-ALL DS roms run %100 with NO slowdowns at all?
-Saves DS roms in a non retarded way now?
rofl2.gif

-GBA games run %100 with no slowdowns?

If so this sounds like the cart for me. Are most GBA games compatible? Thats the only thing i'm still a little worryed about now. Reading the OLDish review here it dosnt look so hot.
mad.gif

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds nice.

So basicly...

rofl2.gif

If so this sounds like the cart for me. Are most GBA games compatible? Thats the only thing i'm still a little worryed about now. Reading the OLDish review here it dosnt look so hot.
mad.gif

Yes to all those questions. Although I dont agree with corbs132 in the "g6 gba saving = amazing".. When the gba saving works, it works perfectly. But there are expections.. for some reason some saves in particular gba games just tend to 'disappear' (corrupted)... I've had that problem about 3 times and I ended up using my old ezf advance card for gba games instead.

But in the nds department.. this card is godly ;P

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pizzicatoiv, most of your G6 complaints are pretty ridiculous. Do like corbs said, and rename your ROMs before loading them onto the cart. I think my list is pretty easy to decipher when it looks like this:

TETRIS-DS.nds
NEW-SMB.nds
NDOGS-CH.nds
MP-PBALL.nds
MP-HUNTR.nds
MKART-DS.nds
OUENDAN!.nds
SK8LAND.nds

You get the idea. As for the button, cut that shit off with a pair of nail clippers -- it's recommended, it's what I did, and you'll never press it again.

I honestly never had a problem with the save system. Just remember where you copied your shit to, I guess. The GBA system kinda sucks, but I've said this before -- I think GBA kinda sucks!
smile.gif
In all seriousness, though, that's the kind of thing you should have known long before buying the G6. It's well reflected in all the reviews. And honestly, it's not bad at all -- all GBA games load and play with no problems, you just don't have some of the extra emulator features that spoiled folks are used to.

Son if I was a retailer and you came in complaining about shit like that I'd smack you in the nose.

Merwoulden

Trophies
XP
Country

rofl2.gif

Well theres one game where there is slowdowns, it laggs, Nanostray. sometimes, but not to often, it laggs.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't bought a card yet but was edging towards the G6. I'm put off a little at the GBA loading times (20 seconds?! I want instant play!). Are they really that bad with the G6? Is there any way to improve them?

Is there a card that is equally good for NDS and GBA? I don't want a media-card-based card (CF/SD/Mini-SD/etc) as I don't want the hassle of getting a media card that works with the device.

Maybe the EZ4L will be the one...

galaxykidgamma

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
hello, i spend most of my time at maxconsole but you have a much better thread on g6 lite, i learned alot there. i'm sorry i'm not sure i understand, i use an m3 mini w/ the a-data, and the minish cap which is about 136 Mb takes about 7 seconds to load but runs just fine, is the only issue the g6 has w/ gba the loading time? i thought m3 and gba were supposed to be great. it sounds like i might have to wait an extra three seconds w/ the g6 and that's no problem for me? am i missing something?

VomitOnLino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[...]
Well theres one game where there is slowdowns, it laggs, Nanostray. sometimes, but not to often, it laggs.

While this is true, the commercial version lags aswell. A friend has it and I have tried it, also the reviews state this aswell, its just pushing the DS hardware too hard at times...

I haven't bought a card yet but was edging towards the G6. I'm put off a little at the GBA loading times (20 seconds?! I want instant play!). Are they really that bad with the G6? Is there any way to improve them?

Is there a card that is equally good for NDS and GBA? I don't want a media-card-based card (CF/SD/Mini-SD/etc) as I don't want the hassle of getting a media card that works with the device.

Maybe the EZ4L will be the one...
If you chose EZ4L over the G6 because of GBA loading times, then you are even worse off with the EZ4(L) the GBA roms take really long to load, and everything above 128Mbit has to be burned to the NOR flashrom first, only once but still this can take several minutes.

shado blackstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you really just want basic GBA nd NDS functions with no dealing with shit, I'd say G6, yeah. Unless you compress your GBA roms, loading is really nothing at all.(If you do, though... You can wait a few minutes sometimes. Still, in some cases, you can kill the file size by more than a half. Riviera, compressed, is something like 123Mbit.)
For DS, it takes a second to prepare the device, but it's not much at all.

Seems to run it exactly like a DS would. No compatibility issues so far, I don't know what all this saving crap is about... I've never had problems with it. No need for backups or anything. You can even back up saves to your computer, so if you decide to put a game away, you can put it right back with the save and everything.

galaxykidgamma

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
United States
thank you, i did not want to go through the hassle of waiting for the m3 micro sd or having to buy another flash medium altogether. i was afraid i was going to end up getting the ez4l micro sd. people always exaggerate problems with flash cards but i never seem to notice/care-about them.

dfyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the same boat. i would want it to fit flush with a DSLite. i prioritize NDS games running PERFECTLY over everything else.

basically it sounds like if i get a g6, everything will work great. the biggest limitation is the price and memory capacity.

i'd prolly get an m3, but only if it really does have perfect compatibility (i'd be willing to mess with the roms a bit if necessary -- them playing perfectly is what i want). i want the m3 to be what i'm looking for (using SD-based memory would be great).

so tell me: will i be missing out on 100% consistant NDS gameplay compatibility if i get an m3 over a g6?

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically, g6 pwns all for compatibility and goodness. im looking to buy an ez4l soon bc its on media carts

EDIT: m3 has slowdowns. all media based ones do unless you get a good card for them.

dfyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically, g6 pwns all for compatibility and goodness. im looking to buy an ez4l soon bc its on media carts

EDIT: m3 has slowdowns. all media based ones do unless you get a good card for them.
but what if i get a good card for a m3? still have issues or is it practically like a g6 at that point?

also, are there expected to be performance differences between the gba sized m3 and the smaller DSLite m3?

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
dudes, there no holy grail flash cart...

geez, u guys dun want to pay for the game and expect 0 problem??

if compatibility is your issue, then there are compatibility lists everywhere on every cart... if there're games that u cant live without, go for the next cart...

AND know that you are bound to encounter problems in the future.. that's what updates are for... and if the game are important enuff, then it will eventually be fixed.

the reason that most of those lists with non working old games is that no one give a damn about those games.. look at supercard with nsmb...

dfyb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudes, there no holy grail flash cart...

geez, u guys dun want to pay for the game and expect 0 problem??

if compatibility is your issue, then there are compatibility lists everywhere on every cart... if there're games that u cant live without, go for the next cart...

AND know that you are bound to encounter problems in the future.. that's what updates are for... and if the game are important enuff, then it will eventually be fixed.

the reason that most of those lists with non working old games is that no one give a damn about those games.. look at supercard with nsmb...
i think most of us realise this, but still want as much info as possible before making our purchasing decision.

the g6 seems to work great, and i'm curious to know if comparable compatibility is possible with an SD-based cart like the m3 or if these SD-based cards are just always going to have that disadvantage.

Celb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
G6 lite = M3 without a card, smaller, fits in DS lite, but limited to 512megabytes, with a bit less support.

The prices could be good, if yyjoy.com's 300-400 chinese yen prices are right.

I could care less about compatability, since M3's got most NDS roms covered, and G6's from the same company, it's support should be good too, as for GBA roms, it should play most, but not all (.. just get a GBA cart or get the game, it's cheap nowadays anyway).

EDIT: G6 normal is the same as above, but pretty expensive, and sort of big. I'd suggest to wait for G6 lite, it's much cheaper and better and etc..

M3 slim or M3 mini-SD's fine, but if you're getting a DS lite, G6 lite seems like the way to go, I don't know much about the EZ4/lite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    It's the Switcheroo
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's the Switcheroo