" Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist' "

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:
Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."

Source: - Telegraph (and wilddenim)

Political correctness gone mad... again
wacko.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Is spinach an ingredient particularly common or typical in some country's cuisine? As a placeholder, I'll call that country "Spinaccia". In that case, 99% of children are horribly racially prejudiced against Spinaccia and its people. Which is deeply concerning, and steps must be taken.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
"Hey kid, eat your snails!"

"Eww, that's disgusting!".

Also

QUOTE said:
It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

What if the kid hasn't been bathed and has just made a mess in his pants? Would the kids be allowed to say that he smells then?

Not to mention "those people" is usally the term I use whilst talking about people who's names I don't know.

Not to mention last time I went to a nursery-type place, a lot of the kids there seemed to be hitting each other. If a white baby were to hit a baby of another race, would it be racism or a childish fight?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@silent sniper, really?
MyersGhostSheet.jpg

Back on topic, I have several ways to play this one so I will go through them all.

1) I really though people would go for intent in actions/words but it looks like it will not happen after all.

2) Newspeak targeted at three year olds...... ducks from black helicopter.

3) Perhaps now we are educating our young about the ways of spicy food when I appear and order some food that says hot it will actually do what it says.

4) yadda yadda yadda, last one out turn off the lights.

5) If it is to be government enforced I am off to open a Surströmming factory.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
We Britons live in a PC world.

I think the article was probably a bit exaggerative, likely it originally meaning to watch toddlers who say certain cultures' styles of food were inferior or something and teach them how to rephrase it to cause least offense, but isn't calling toddlers racist for disliking spicy foods. I do agree that even from a toddler's age that they must respect other cultures' including their style of food.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xJonny said:
I do agree that even from a toddler's age that they must respect other cultures' including their style of food.
that doesn't mean they have to like it.

seriously, I'm Indian, and from birth I've hated most Indian food. Does that make me a racist? No. I love my country of origin, but I hate most food. Simple as that.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xJonny said:
QUOTE said:

I think the article was probably a bit exaggerative, likely it originally meaning to watch toddlers who say certain cultures' styles of food were inferior or something and teach them how to rephrase it to cause least offense, but isn't calling toddlers racist for disliking spicy foods. I do agree that even from a toddler's age that they must respect other cultures' including their style of food.

Re-read what you typed. This is the exact PC bullshit that scares the hell out of me. Do you know any toddler who would "say certain cultures styles of food were inferior"? Do you really believe that a toddler "must respect other cultures' including their style of food"? If food doesn't taste good a toddler will tell you. If someone is smelly a toddler will tell you. Why? Because they are honest, not racist. Your statements are so PC it sickens me. I'm not being racist, just honest.

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Lazycus said:
xJonny said:
QUOTE said:

Re-read what you typed. This is the exact PC bullshit that scares the hell out of me. Do you know any toddler who would "say certain cultures styles of food were inferior"? Do you really believe that a toddler "must respect other cultures' including their style of food"? If food doesn't taste good a toddler will tell you. If someone is smelly a toddler will tell you. Why? Because they are honest, not racist. Your statements are so PC it sickens me. I'm not being racist, just honest.

I don't think their targeting it specifically on various cutural food's
laugh.gif
. Children at an early age copy what their parents and siblings do. Since Briton is a multi-cultural country with various different races, there are some people/parents who despise the various different races which live in the country. And back at home they call them derogatory names and express their disgust about them. This unfortunately often spreads to the children as they think its normal and don't know any better thus they start using the terms unknowingly that they themselves are being racist and eventually grow into it and look down on those societies when they progress to adults and this sometimes spreads to their children and their children's children etc. This is the root of Racism which will never be destroyed and their will always remain throughout the ages.

I think it's ok for the goverment to try and get rid of these things at an early age for the children to help make society better. But I think the whole cultural food thing the media over-exagerated as they often do and turn that around as the main point thus causing the various arguments above which is exactly what they want.
ph34r.gif
[/rant]

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Talaria, re-read what you just typed. This is the exact PC bullshit we are talking about. Only "older 'white' people" make racist comments in Britain? Only white toddlers should be corrected for making comments about others or their food (whether true or not). The one thing you are correct about is that racism will always exist, but it exists in all races.

Pioggia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was reading about this the other day in the metro (us brits who use London trans will understand)
and it's simply ridiculous! i've been told by my god child (yes i have a god child at 17 - he's 2 in a month ^^) im 'schmelly' (burberry brit perfume) it doesn't necessarily mean it's a negative, and even if it was, their toddlers for goodness sake!
i remember being like 5-6, i hated spicy food, and i still do in most cases, it doesn't mean im racist! some people don't like spicy food, and when your younger you have delicate taste buds which change as you grow up, i used to hate cheese in all aspects, i now like it (in some cases)
fare enough scolding them for saying words like 'blackie' and 'paki' but for saying 'yuk'?.

i completely agree with lazycus and silent sniper on this one - Britain's government has completely lost the plot

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Law said:
silent sniper said:
....what?

can governments REALLY BE THAT STUPID?

This is Britain. Our government really is that stupid.

So is out Judicial System.

While this racism thing ridiculously stupid. I would like to add that there are DEFINITELY worse governments out there, and definitely worse judicial systems. Note the "government sponsored" bit. Not just "government". I'd like to think this is some idiot taking his (flawed) initiative with the government's (our) money.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Pioggia @ Aug 25 2008, 02:45 AM)
I was reading about this the other day in the metro (us brits who use London trans will understand)

+1 Acknowledgement for the Metro. I've had no reason to buy another newspaper since.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you actually read the article and its quotes, you'll see this is nothing but typical media hysterics over nothing. The handful of lines they quoted from the 300-page document make no mention of 'spicy' food or anything like that. It says:

QUOTE said:
The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".
...and, yes, if a toddler goes around calling people 'n****', of course they should be gently childed. Nobody would argue with that... but since some people like to work themselves into a rhetorical rage over imaginary issues, BS articles like this one get copy-pasted all over the internet, with less and less sane interpretations attached to them at every turn.

Pay attention, people. This is a fluff piece being blown out of proportion. Some people just like to throw big whining temper-tantrums about so-called 'political correctness' at any provocation. Because your kid might get a lecture for calling someone a 'blackie' in class, you start bawling about OMG PC THOUGHT-POLICE?

Yeah, right. Go peddle your manufactured outrage somewhere else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo