• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Transgenderism in speedrunning

Status
Not open for further replies.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I've been a fan of GDQ for years now. Lately, however, it seems as if there is no bastion against SJWs and virtue signaling.

I thought gaming would remain one of the only forms of media that might possibly be immune to politics, but sadly, I was wrong. I thought perhaps video games could be enjoyed without adding the element of cancel culture, but again, I was wrong.
Its videogames, for gods sake. You are doing the Anita Sarkeesian thing, just in reverse (You were fighting the good fight, but I guess the establishment just had to oppress you...).

Issue number one - how can you be offended, by other people existing?

Issue number two - how can you be offended by other people existing, and trying to follow their ambitions.

Issue number three, it all would be fine, if they just wouldnt do it openly?

I mean what the heck. This is nothing of importance in life, this is literally a fight over the 'image of your hobby'. And the person who 'wins' wins in image, but in literally nothing else of importance.

Why has a community that is about staying indoors, and creating feats of astonishing excellence, by obsessing over button inputs or structure of videogames a disproportionate amount of what I'd had formerly proudly called 'societies rejects'? Gosh, I don't know... seems kind of obvious?

And now that social media has literally opened up all private spaces, and society is about to reconfigure a little, so also non standard life concepts can be part of it, of all things going on in life, you find that so revolting?

Why have these debates (which is why I hinted at Anita Sarkeesian above btw.) always have to be groups at the edges of society clawing each others eyes out? I dont understand it. If you want to 'fight oppression' pick bigger targets.

Also, and this is very important to me, because I complain about virtue signaling all the time - virtue signaling is, when you yourself are someone trying to advance your perceived status in life, by attaching to a cause, where you mostly care about the looks, but not about action. So to complain about virtue signaling, and at the same time about 'too much activity" in a field, is entirely hypocritical. (Then its activism (or even just 'the thing existing') you dont like. Lets make this very clear.)

Last edited by notimp,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't know how to put it politely, so this'll be a harsh post : the text in the OP is dumb.

First : this is about video games. All studies regarding physiology differences in genders are about physical sports. Muscle differences don't matter on keyboards, mice and /or controllers, and in terms of reflexes or hand eye coordination, the differences are minimal as well.

Second : this is about video games. If you're watching a performance because it's performed by someone of this or that gender, you're not watching it for the right reason. But it's not like you can see a difference even in the slightest (fuck... I can be an albino octopus with three genders and down syndrome, and still no one would notice it when watching me play a video game)

Third : perhaps I'm watching the wrong news channels (1), but I had no idea this was an issue with anyone outside the OP. And with lack of credible sources, I've got to admit I suspect this is just a blog post of someone who wants others to join his circle jerking over a non - issue.
... But ey : that's just my suspicion. I can certainly be wrong. I mean... I don't see anyone sharing the OP concern thus far, but that's not his fault.

(1): mine features news on the Corona situation and the riots in the USA. I... Don't think I'll give a channel that brings up transgender issues in speedrunning in video games at this point much credit for their sense of priority right now

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got pretty much the responses I expected.

The reason it bothers me and that I refuse to refer to a man with a neckbeard and a deep voice as "she" or "her" is because that is a straight up lie. Honesty and integrity are very important to me. If someone wants to try to force me to dismiss my understanding of chromosomal biology in favor of protecting their subjective fantasy of what they wish they were, my answer is NO.

They have all the liberty in the world to pretend to be whatever they please. I have the same exact liberty to not want to participate in their lifelong game of Pretty Pretty Princess. For me to refer to someone using personal pronouns that do not match their actual physical gender, that would require me to be a liar. I refuse to lie just to make someone feel better about themselves.

I would love to see more women in gaming and in speedrunning. Actual women. No Y chromosome.

As far as anyone suffering from gender dysphoria, I wish you all the best, and hope you find a healthy way to deal with your issues. Remember that your liberty ends where mine begins. You may refer to yourselves as whatever you please. I will refer to you as what you are. You may not and will not make any demands of me. I may not and will not make any demands of you. You have the right to play pretend. I have the right to consider you silly and sad. Neither has the right to harm the other in any way.

Cheers.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just say you are transphobic and be done with it. You are saying a lot of words, yet literally haven’t made a single point. Which is pretty typical of transphobes trying to justify their backwards and shitty beliefs. Trans people exist regardless of your transphobic beliefs and people are finally starting to treat trans people with respect, I beg you don’t cry. ;o;

Last edited by The Catboy,

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And in the other part of your head you have Uiaad saying "go rip him limb from fucking Limb. PAINT THE FORUM RED!!!"

How dare you assume my gender? I identify as a Super Saiyan.

#triggered
#ineedasafespace
#soundssillydoesntit

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just say you are transphobic and be done with it. You are saying a lot of words, yet literally haven’t made a single point. Which is pretty typical of transphobes trying to justify their backwards and shitty beliefs. Trans people excite regardless of your transphobic beliefs and people are finally starting to treat trans people with respect, I beg you don’t cry. ;o;

Please describe to me where I suggested that I harbored an irrational fear of individuals suffering from the mental disorder that is gender dysphoria, rather than just using ad hominem and attacking me personally (which is a violation of the Forum Rules, as you well know).

Attack my argument, not my character or person. Your only contribution to this debate was to directly insult me. Sadly, I expected better, my brother. Thanks for playing, sir.

Last edited by CraddaPoosta,

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

#triggered
#ineedasafespace
#soundssillydoesntit

no mate, you're an idiot. go back to the 1800's where you and your attitude belong

you could identify as a toaster and i would give you the respect you deserve. I, unlike you don't care what people call themself as long as they aren't hurting anyone else
If you were expecting the responses you got then why did you post at all ?

Last edited by Uiaad,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I know you're trying to take the piss here, but what does that change about you as a person? If you identified as literally anything, would that change your gaming skill? Do I now have to lose sleep at night because I'm so terribly bothered about the minor personal details of a person on the internet? No. Obviously.

"Honesty" and "integrity" are nothing without empathy and understanding.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Please describe to me where I suggested that I harbored an irrational fear of individuals suffering from the mental disorder that is gender dysphoria, rather than just using ad hominem and attacking me personally (which is a violation of the Forum Rules, as you well know).

Attack my argument, not my character or person. Your only contribution to this debate was to directly insult me. Sadly, I expected better. Thanks for playing, sir.
Your arguments have nothing to do with gaming nor speedrunning, you just wanted to use those as an excuse to be transphobic, which you are. You can pretend to be ignorant of what transphobia means, but that doesn't mean you aren't transphobic. There is no trans debate, trans people exist there is no debate to be had.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you're trying to take the piss here, but what does that change about you as a person? If you identified as literally anything, would that change your gaming skill? Do I now have to lose sleep at night because I'm so terribly bothered about the minor personal details of a person on the internet? No. Obviously.

Honesty and integrity are nothing without empathy and understanding.

Let's go with that. If empathy and understanding are so important, why are those virtues only incumbent upon those who disagree with someone crying that they are a victim because someone doesn't agree with their lies?

Just because you are offended doesn't mean you're right.

Shouldn't ALL of us be understanding of each other, and allow everyone their own personal liberty?

I see very, very little empathy or understanding from "transgendered" individuals when I communicate that I am not interested in playing along with their cosplay. Facts.

Why the double standard?

MMX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought gaming would remain one of the only forms of media that might possibly be immune to politics, but sadly, I was wrong. I thought perhaps video games could be enjoyed without adding the element of cancel culture, but again, I was wrong.

OP why give a shit about these people? just because your escape-medium has been infiltrated by commie-affiliates.
maybe you could use this opportunity to dial down on gaming and start a family or deep relation with a woman

imo you shouldn't view gaming as lifestyle or life-choice thing or dare I say "identify" as gamer.

Gamers are toxic.
That's why I avoid them.

I thought people of all ages and genders play?
I guess what you actually mean is "white people that game"
(while probably being white yourself with your self-hatred)

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got pretty much the responses I expected.

The reason it bothers me and that I refuse to refer to a man with a neckbeard and a deep voice as "she" or "her" is because that is a straight up lie. Honesty and integrity are very important to me. If someone wants to try to force me to dismiss my understanding of chromosomal biology in favor of protecting their subjective fantasy of what they wish they were, my answer is NO.

They have all the liberty in the world to pretend to be whatever they please. I have the same exact liberty to not want to participate in their lifelong game of Pretty Pretty Princess. For me to refer to someone using personal pronouns that do not match their actual physical gender, that would require me to be a liar. I refuse to lie just to make someone feel better about themselves.

I would love to see more women in gaming and in speedrunning. Actual women. No Y chromosome.

As far as anyone suffering from gender dysphoria, I wish you all the best, and hope you find a healthy way to deal with your issues. Remember that your liberty ends where mine begins. You may refer to yourselves as whatever you please. I will refer to you as what you are. You may not and will not make any demands of me. I may not and will not make any demands of you. You have the right to play pretend. I have the right to consider you silly and sad. Neither has the right to harm the other in any way.

Cheers.
Pretty Pretty Princess is a great custom title, so thanks for that o7

Anyways, I feel like I say this every time I'm in the politics forum, but if you want an actual discussion or debate, phrase your opening post from a neutral standpoint. Your OP comes across as an attack on trans people, rather than what could actually be an interesting invitation to discussion on trans people and acceptance in the speedrunning community.

I think it's genuinely interesting how many speedrunners feel comfortable in their relevant communities and with their following to openly be who they are. I'd love to see a discussion on why this is, the outliers, large players like GDQ accommodating it, and all that jazz.

It all seems like a great discussion, but this post simply doesn't seem like the place for it.

There's my two cents anyway.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your arguments have nothing to do with gaming nor speedrunning, you just wanted to use those as an excuse to be transphobic, which you are. You can pretend to be ignorant of what transphobia means, but that doesn't mean you aren't transphobic. There is no trans debate, trans people exist there is no debate to be had.

You're not wrong. "Transgendered" people exist. And many are the most intolerant people I've ever met. I would unfortunately be forced to include you in that list, my good man. It's okay for you to force your views on others. Not very tolerant of anyone who disagrees with you, though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pretty Pretty Princess is a great custom title, so thanks for that o7

Anyways, I feel like I say this every time I'm in the politics forum, but if you want an actual discussion or debate, phrase your opening post from a neutral standpoint. Your OP comes across as an attack on trans people, rather than what could actually be an interesting invitation to discussion on trans people and acceptance in the speedrunning community.

I think it's genuinely interesting how many speedrunners feel comfortable in their relevant communities and with their following to openly be who they are. I'd love to see a discussion on why this is, the outliers, large players like GDQ accommodating it, and all that jazz.

It all seems like a great discussion, but this post simply doesn't seem like the place for it.

There's my two cents anyway.

YOURS was the response I was truly looking for. Someone who isn't an entitled self-made victim, capable of having a discussion and a cordial disagreement. You didn't attack me personally and were able to express your point of view with dignity.

Good form.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You're not wrong. "Transgendered" people exist. And many are the most intolerant people I've ever met. I would unfortunately be forced to include you in that list, my good man. It's okay for you to force your views on others. Not very tolerant of anyone who disagrees with you, though.
Imagine using an argument this stupid and thinking somehow you have some ground to stand on be taken seriously.

Reactions: Stealphie

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine using an argument this stupid and thinking somehow you have some ground to stand on be taken seriously.

Imagine actually presenting an argument, and then you can join this debate, sir. I actually DO want to understand why you want to force other people to call you a girl. I'm being super cereal. Why would it bother you so badly if you knew someone refused to accept your hormone treatments and surgical mutilations as being sufficient to change your gender? Why does it cause you so much fannyharm if someone just says NO when you say "I'm totally a girl, even though every cell in my body (with the exception of some of the SPERM CELLS in my body) has a Y chromosome"?

Totally, absolutely, 100% a serious question. Help me to understand, rather than just lamely attempt to flame me.

Tell me about how your gender dysphoria entitles you to dictate what other people think. And, if you are "transitioning" to better your mental health, is it really about your body, or how other people view you?

Methinks your issue is how other people view you. You care far, far more about what other people think of you than what you think of yourself. If that wasn't true, it wouldn't bother you that I will never address you as 'ma'am'.

You seem to want to control society's perception of you. What gives you that right?

Last edited by CraddaPoosta,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Why the double standard?

playing along with their cosplay
my brother. Thanks for playing, sir.
is because that is a straight up lie
You may refer to yourselves as whatever you please. I will refer to you as what you are.
my good man. I

Maybe because one party is trying to just live their happy life, and the other feels a need to disparage them and try to point out why their personal idealogy is correct over others' own. It comes off as such compensation that it makes anything you say irrelevant. If you could disregard your dislike of a people for ten seconds to just discuss the actual point you're trying to make, maybe people wouldn't just drop by this thread to scoff.

Now you've just lost the plot anyway, you've already deviated from your own original topic.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Imagine actually presenting an argument, and then you can join this debate, sir. I actually DO want to understand why you want to force other people to call you a girl. I'm being super cereal. Why would it bother you so badly if you knew someone refused to accept your hormone treatments and surgical mutilations as being sufficient to change your gender? Why does it cause you so much fannyharm if someone just says NO when you say "I'm totally a girl, even though every cell in my body (with the exception of some of the SPERM CELLS in my body) has a Y chromosome"?

Totally, absolutely, 100% a serious question. Help me to understand, rather than just lamely attempt to flame me.
There is no debate here, explain how any of this has anything to do with speedrunning? How does someone being trans infringe onto your personal life? Why do people simply living their life and bothering no one, need to be a topic of debate? What are you gaining from being a dick to people for simply existing?

Last edited by The Catboy,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess what you actually mean is "white people that game"
(while probably being white yourself with your self-hatred)
Had he said that Black people should be excluded from speed running then this thread would have been shut down in an instant and he would have been suspended . But because its a transphobic thread which even the cis members are pointing out absolutely no action is being taken by the site staff go figure.

Seriously though why does the site treat racist and transpobic comments differently ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, i think she said she isnt into gaming